TGBNJ is missing puzzler.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jetjock, Sep 13, 2017.

1. jetjock

jetjock MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2010
    I have an old hard drive that has Win 7 and a bunch of programs installed. I used to be able to boot into the old Windows, as well as the Windows on my new SSD. I tried booting to the old drive this morning and got this:
    "TGBNJ is missing. Press ctrl-alt-del to restart." I have tried Googling for "TGBNJ" and searching my working drive for it, but have not found anything except for one reference to "TGBNJ is compressed."

Has anyone seen this expression before? Any idea how to fix it?

jetjock :plane:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @jetjock

It's the bootmgr, which is compressed. Do a startup repair or manually restore it from an PE using bootsect and/or bootrec.

3. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    Thanks, Tito. I'll do some research to see if I can figure out how to do that.:confused: I might be back! :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    I found "bootsect.exe" on a USB drive of Gandolf's Redstone Win 10 PE and ran it from a command prompt in my Win 7. I used "bootsect.exe /nt60 E: /mbr" (E: is the drive with the old Win 7 on it). It seemed to run ok, but when I tried booting to the drive it said it couldn't find an operating system. I know that Windows is there, so it must be FUBARed. I appreciate the help. Any other suggestions before I do a new, update install?

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  6. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
  7. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    Didn't work. Did a new install. :( It was worth a try anyway.