The 1 bios setting that will speed up your computer

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by GOD666, Jun 23, 2017.

1. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #1 GOD666, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    1. Assuming you are NOT using the onboard video (meaning you actually have a physical video card and not just the video from your motherboard)
    2. Assuming you are using the only USB for your mouse and keyboard and NOT Ps/2 port mouse and keyboards
    3. Assuming you are NOT using an old printer which uses a parallel port

If all above is true, continue... ;)
    If not all true, please stop now. :eek:

• Disable the assigning of parallel port addresses. Which seems to be found on even motherboards which have no parallel port :rolleyes: -- On some motherboard's it will simply be labled as the automatic assignment of IRQ addresses via the CMOS (Disable the whole thing if you can).
    • Reboot

Speed. Nothing but pure speed. :eek:

Bonus:

• Disable ps/2 port for older mouse and keyboard (assuming you are using USB)
    • Disable onboard video (assuming you're not using it and actually do have a video card installed)

The 1st two I've always done. It is only recently that I've learned just how much disabling the parallel port has its advantages. For years, I've always left that alone and wow, was I surprised to discover just how smooth it all works without it. :eek: It suddenly feels as though I have all new computers. :eek:

2. digital john

digital john MDL Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    thanx, i hope it's true

3. #3 Deleted member 578156, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2017
    Another thing that helps speed up your computer at least in the System startup on newer motherboards or recently new computers is to switch from Legacy Bios to UEFI Bios Setup. A lot of machines still run on legacy due to the slic Table that is required for the earlier operating systems windows 7 and earlier but windows 10 doesn`t use a slic table.

4. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    I recently did this to all my computers at home and they all feel as though they were brand new or something. It's impressive.

On one of my motherboard's it was not labeled as a parallel port, but rather the automatic assignment of IRQ addresses via the CMOS / BIOS. Which seems to amount to the same thing since the motherboard's who had the "parallel port" option all had to do with that assignment. I have not found or notice any issues disabling this and only have seen an improvement.

5. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    To each their own on that one. I still prefer my legacy bios and believe the boot time of legacy to be just as fast (if not sometimes faster). Of course, I do have the option to switch between the two.

6. Dedek

Dedek MDL Member

Nov 30, 2010
    There is nothing to prefer on legacy.

7. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    Easier boot management. ;)

Seriously, read this forum or even google search and the 1 problem repeated over and over is how folks end up with problems trying to boot stuff with UEFI. Hell, we have a dedicated forum here on MDL for folks who need bios updates so that their UEFI will work just to boot up stuff. MDL is not alone, there are whole forums dedicated to resolving UEFI management problems (again, Google it).

Legacy, I pop in whatever I want, whenever I want, and it just works. Period. :cool:

8. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Been booting UEFI for years, no issues at all, my UEFI BIOS was last updated in 2012, final BIOS, still no issues today

Sounds more like people don't understand how to use UEFI

9. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    No issues on mine either, but a quick Google search tells you a different story.

I don't doubt that. Most home users would be overwhelmed by either UEFI or your standard bios. At least, the folks I end up helping.

But recently, I encountered someone's DELL Computer and seriously, the legacy option was the only way that USB drive was going to boot. The simplicity of pressing a key on the keyboard to bring up your boot menu or your PC automatically detecting that there is another boot decide, without having to configure anything, is always going to be a blessing.

10. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Only real downside for UEFI is the need to use the ancient FAT32 formatting :doh:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    I can still hit F12 to load boot options after POST with UEFI and select a USB drive to boot from

Nothing from legacy is missing from UEFI that I have found

12. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    For USB? Doesn't really bother me, just as quick to select FAT32 as it is to select NTFS when formatting, and I use UEFI GPT anyway so always has to be FAT32

13. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    Dell Computers. You either love them or hate them. :p

We tried everything from F1 through F12, nothing. The only option was to either boot the CMOS, boot legacy, or run their system diagnostics. Even called Dell to confirm. Once in legacy, the USB boot just fine. :p

Outside his computer, I do not see any real advantage over UEFI other than a mouse pointer.

14. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Sure it wasn't using secure boot?

Maybe moving to legacy disabled secure boot and allowed you to see the USB boot drive

My first experience with secure boot drove me mad, I knew I was making the flash drive correctly, done a million times, but the laptop refused to see it or boot from it, took a good while to work out I needed to create the flash drive as FAT32 / GPT / UEFI, after that it saw the drive and booted from it fine

Oh, and I hate Dell computers :D They are designed to F**k with techs

15. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #15 GOD666, Jun 23, 2017
    (OP)
    It could have been the secure boot, but I don't use FAT32 and likely will never do so. My smallest USB drive is 64 GB and Fast 32 has a limit of 32 GB and I'm not going to partition USB drives (or use 3rd party software) just to get it to work with UEFI. :rolleyes:
    I do not particularly like DELL either. I prefer to build my own or if I were to buy one, I'd go with HP.

Anyways, this thread is really getting off topic now. The point of this thread was that once you disable the automatic IRQ assignment (either from Bios or UEFI), things seem to become faster. :)

16. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    But for normal use Legacy BIOS works just fine.

On current laptops/desktops there is not much choice, they will be UEFI only, but many (if not all) single sold Mobo's will have both options available.

My system boots up in 6 seconds, UEFI or Legacy BIOS, just because of using an SSD as systemdrive.

17. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    SSD as main here too, and it did boot up in a similar time, but I went RAID0 with 2 x SSD and it seems the RAID controller has slowed things down considerably for some reason, even once it has handed over to the OS it just spins and spins, haven't taken the time to investigate yet though

18. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    I think this really comes down to preference.

I notice no difference in boot time. -- Although on 1 of my PC's legacy is faster by 1/2 a second. Although most would never notice.

I do not use sleep or hibernate functions. A standard legacy bios is just as stable and uses just as much power.

This whole thread is how disabling that function made all my computers faster, so .... :p

This option is there even with a normal BIOS. ;)

Newer expanded bios have this too (not just UEFI)

I actually do not like this. If I get a bad driver, I can uninstall it or replace it (or recover in safe mode). If worse comes to worse, format and start over. If you get a bad driver via UEFI... You've got problems!

19. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    #20 MrMagic, Jun 23, 2017
    Haven't played around with IRQs since the 90s, but I wouldn't expect disabling automatic assignment of IRQs would be a great idea, it might not cause any issues after Windows is already installed and configured, but on clean installs, I would have thought the OS would need auto IRQ assignments, correct me if I'm wrong, like I say I haven't messed with them since the days computers would cause themselves IRQ conflicts and you'd have to manually assign them

Maybe the OS is smart enough now, no idea

EDIT - your last comment, if you get a bad driver with UEFI you've got problems? Where did you hear that?

People get bad drivers with UEFI all the time, no different to legacy, you fix it the same way

In fact I see a few problems with some of your replies

There is no secure boot with legacy, secure boot requires UEFI

Modern PCs ship with a feature called “Secure Boot” enabled. This is a platform feature in UEFI, which replaces the traditional PC BIOS