The best paid antivirus engine of 2012

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Josh Cell, Feb 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

What the best paid antivirus of 2012?

1. Avast Antivirus

7.2%
  2. AVG Antivirus

2.1%
  3. Avira Antivirus

4.8%
  4. BitDefender Antivirus

7.5%
  5. Comodo Antivirus

1.4%
  6. Eset Antivirus

36.3%
  7. McAfee Antivirus

2.7%
  8. Norton Antivirus

12.0%
  9. Panda Antivirus

0.3%
  10. Kaspersky Antivirus

25.7%
  1. TheSkaffer

TheSkaffer MDL Senior Member

May 16, 2010
    Na, at work the version is 9 something...:p

Whether I need BE or not, may be discussed, but when I first purchased my license I bought a 5-license bundle. Which was not, and is not, available for home edition. IMO the business edition should be able to meet higher demands.

2. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. djvu61

djvu61 MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2012
    thx for this Poll, this will help people choose the right antivirus !

4. C.J.Sparrow1988

C.J.Sparrow1988 MDL Novice

Jun 16, 2010
    #44 C.J.Sparrow1988, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
    Here are the latest Anti virus test results: av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/mayjun-2012/

From this list bitdefender may seem like the best choice. It is definitely a powerful antivirus but I used it (BD total security 2011) for a year and here are some of the problems I encountered:

1-Overall slowdown of computer: The slowdown is very noticeable
    2-Slowdown of Internet connections: Bitdefender meddles with HTTP traffic (to scan and report unsafe websites and place check marks beside google search results etc.) but I often simply couldn't open safe webpages for no reason ! (no reports, nothing ! just couldn't open the webpages)
    3-VMware: I couldn't run 64 bit operating systems in VMware while bitdefender's active intrusion detection was on. This is a known problem.
    4-Any changes I made in bitdefender such as stopping the antivirus, I had to actually restart my computer for those changes to take effect. (This was very annoying, every time I wanted to use VMware I had to restart my computer!!!)
    5-Bitdefender blocked the internet traffic of one of my applications and even though I put that application in every exclusion or white list I found inside the security suite, it still couldn't connect to the internet (no warnings, no pop ups, nothing !!! just couldn't connect)

Overall, although I spent the year I had bitdefender with absolute confidence that my laptop wouldn't get any viruses from websites or USB flash drives, I finally decided that the frustration it gave me was not worth it and uninstalled it.

I think Kaspersky seems the best choice as a paid antivirus and I don't think it has any of the above problems. Also, if anyone is going to buy a security product I recommend them to buy the version that has just the antivirus in it. I found all those extra bloatware such as firewalls, site security advisers and spam checkers completely unnecessary and troublesome, not to mention that most of today's attacks are caused by Malware, worms and viruses and the age that firewalls could provide security for home users is long gone.

I personally am using the freeware Microsoft Security Essentials now. No problems so far.

I also use NetLimiter. Besides its main function which is throttling the upload and download traffic of processes, it also has a firewall built in. Windows Firewall with Advanced Security (wf.msc) seems perfect but since applications can change windows firewall settings and sometimes I don't want them to, I use Netlimiter to block them.

5. speedy1979

speedy1979 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2012
    IMHO the best antivirus/internet security suite is imaging software (Acronis True Image, Paragon Backup, Macrium Reflect etc.) coupled with an external hard drive. Since ultimately no antivirus is impervious to zero day attacks, and the human brain is no less invulnerable.

6. Scoop8

Scoop8 MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2012
    #46 Scoop8, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
    I do the same, using Acronis with a cloning schedule every couple of months. It recently came in handy when I was hit with what I believe was a Malware hit.

I've been using ESET SS4 for a couple of years. I was impressed with the reviews elsewhere about its system resource rating but I'm probably going to try another AV product when my 1-yr license expires in a few months.

I've been hit with a 2-3 Trojan's during the time that I've been using ESET. They were not serious hits and recovery was easy but I was disappointed in ESET's track record for preventative actions in both circumstances. ESET detected the main Trojan presence but wasn't able to prevent all of the effecs of the hits.

I was hit recently with what I believe is a Malware variant but I'm not an expert on this subject so I'll describe what happened on my PC. I'm running Windows 7 with IE9. I rarely have any problems (Trojan's, etc). I had 2 instances of Trojan's in 2011 and one this year.

Regarding the recent hit, the symptom was that one of those "official-looking" MS dialog windows appeared and asked permission to install a bogus MS program. I tried to click "no/close" but of course, that doesn't close these windows. I had to reboot in "Safe" mode and clean the HD with an ESET scan. That cleaned most of the issues but I had to do a "System Restore" to complete the repairs.

During that time (referencing "Speed'ys" post), I was not concerned as I always have a cloned HD in the drawer.

ESET SS4: The disappointment is that ESET didn't detect the Malware, and didn't record a "threat" occurrence in the log file. There was no indication that any intrusion had occurred.

I've heard about Kaspersky and I might try that product in a few months.

My experience regarding researching these paid AV's is that there are many pov's and diverse opinions about which one is best to use on a home desktop PC. I'm running Windows 7 with IE9 which I know isn't as secure as a MAC system or a Linux-based PC. I guess I'm going to stay with MS though as I'm getting a little too old to try and re-learn another PC system :D

7. master131

master131 MDL Novice

Apr 12, 2011
    #47 master131, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
    Any anti-virus solution won't protect you against everything. There will always be something that get's through. People should develop good browsing habits such as not clicking on ads, etc. You can also be hit by viruses through software exploits, common in Java, Flash and Adobe Reader (might be how you got the trojans). Install OS updates via Windows Update and keep other software up to date using Secunia PSI. It will automatically scan for outdated and vulnerable software and even install it automatically most of the time. Another consideration is to use SpywareBlaster, which works by blacklisting certain domains in your browsers to prevent being infected by different threats. It doesn't use any memory because it's passive protection, not active. Another consideration is to scan regularly using anti-spyware/anti-malware software using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and/or SUPER Anti-Spyware as they scan the registry and mainly target rogue software as well as other threats AVs might not pick up.

8. speedy1979

speedy1979 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2012
    I use NIS 2011 as my main source for protection and malwarebytes free along with hitmanpro as second opinion scanners.

9. Scoop8

Scoop8 MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2012
    Thanks for the info. To provide some background, I entered the home 'net PC scene somewhat late in the game, in 2004.

I'm a fairly safe 'net surfer, mainly frequenting the same sites daily, and never click on ad's.

My add-on's (Adobe Flash, etc) are up to date.

I run OS updates nightly.

I was curious about how my "batting average" looked, from the standpoint of the # of hits that have affected my PC's during the 8 years that I've been a home 'net user. I've been hit about 7-8 times over an 8-year period, averaging 1 hit per year. I'm not sure how that stacks up compared to the experienced PC guys.

Thanks for the suggestions. I google'd Secunia PSI and will look into it.

I have been relying on AV "all-in-one" software approaches (ESET, and prior, Trend Micro) but I see what you're getting at, needing additional protection, ie Malwarebytes, etc, that is specifically designed for Malware detection.

Are you using the purchased or free version of Malwarebytes?

How does Malwarebytes perform when there is another AV product running on the same PC?

Thanks, I'll check that one out. Norton is among the ones that I'm considering once my ESET liscence expires.

I have a friend that's been using NIS for years and has had no problems (hits). He's also running Windows 7 but he's using the Firefox Browser which, I've been told, is more secure that IE. I've wondered if that's still true with IE9 vs Firefox.

Regarding your earlier post about cloning (being the best protection), I'm inclined to agree and have wondered if, considering that I'm not "hit" that often with these problems, it's almost as easy to wipe my HD (format) and just clone it using my safe cloned HD, instead of trying to repair/scan/clean, when these hits occur.

10. master131

master131 MDL Novice

Apr 12, 2011
    #50 master131, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
    I am currently using the paid version. MBAM and ESET conflict with each other, causing internet to not work for a minute or so after updating it or adding a ignore rule for an IP. Since I'm using ESET too, despite buying it, I've disable the protection module.

It comes with a free 14 day trial on first installation so you can test the features out ;)

Pretty well, it's not very heavy on memory and is lightweight. Will use alot of CPU though when the IP Blocking database is updated but it doesn't impact the computer much, not unless you have an ESET product installed, afaik. The protection module provided in MBAM's paid version also is pretty good, displaying alerts when a malicious application/executable is launched with the ability to choose what to do (eg. ignore, quarantine).

A quote from one of the moderators at MBAM:

11. Scoop8

Scoop8 MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2012
    #51 Scoop8, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
    ^ Thanks for the info :)

I purchased MBAM and am running it on my Desktop. So far, no conflict symptoms seen with ESET SS4.

I'm running with Protection Mode enabled for a while to check for conflict issues.

** I'm used to scheduled scans with ESET and I'm curious as to how MBAM works. Is it constantly scanning the HD? I looked at the "Protection" tab and clicked on the "Scheduler" button in MBAM and I didn't see what I expected to see, something similar to most AV products where one can set up a scheduled HD scan, daily, overnight, etc.

I guess that's referring to setting up scheduled updates, to define and set up the frequency that polls the MBAM server to insure that the user has the latest updates installed.

I talked with a knowledgable friend, after I had registered here and posted earlier. He also recommended MBAM in conjunction with an AV product for better PC protection.

When my overnight ESET SS4 HD scan ran last night, it didn't detect any issues. When I ran my 1st MBAM scan, it detected and quarantined 2 "adware" issues within the Registry.

** [edit] I see how to set up a scheduled custom scan from the "Protection" tab, clicking the "Scheduler" button.

12. Computers Plus

Computers Plus MDL Junior Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Every security product has it's pros and cons rather it's payware or freeware, In my years in the IT field I have tested many security products and have came to the conclusion that you need more than just a basic Anti-Virus product you really should have a multi layered security suite with a good firewall and host intrusion protection.

In my opinion Mcafee should be put out of business and not even be mentioned on any list of top AV products I don't know how they have survived all this time being as bad as they are, Eset is a decent AV engine but people using their suite should be aware they have a poor firewall, Norton has managed to improve itself over the last several years compared to what it used to be but again their suite has a poor firewall.

My top pics for security products in order would have to be:

1. Kaspersky Internet Security
    2. Emsisoft Internet Security
    3. BitDefender Internet Security
    4. Comodo Internet Security

I picked these products because of their completeness offering good AV engines with very good firewalls and host intrusion prevention making them complete protection options but you can also assemble a good suite of individual products that would offer good protection as well but for the novice who wants to get just one product that offers the most protection stick to my list

13. 99dej

99dej MDL Member

Dec 26, 2010
    I haven't used some of the products in the poll, but for me, I use KAV, with FF, Adblock Plus, and Ghostery. The kids, who click on anything, well this setup has kept me going so much that I have not had need to look elsewhere.

For a firewall, the basic Windows one, and a decent Broadcom based router with Tomato, serves me well.

14. master131

master131 MDL Novice

Apr 12, 2011
    Just to let you know SS5 is the latest version, not sure if you can use SS4 license on SS5 though.

15. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    You can use ANY ESS license on ANY ESS version.

Same with any antivirus, if you have a license for Kaspersky Internet Security 2009, it will work for 2013. Licenses are universal, as long as you are using it on the same product family.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    How could you use a license for a 2009 product on a 2013 product it would have expired. You normally need to renew every year.

17. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    Here's a scenario:

Kaspersky Internet Security License selling online on their site for $69.99 USD (just an example)

The user does not want to spend that much on a security solution, he fishes around on eBay and finds an old KIS 2009 Boxed version for much less (around $20 USD let's say) which he purchases (its license has never been usd / activated)

He then installs KIS 2013, and uses that license, it will work

Another example is if one buys 2 or 3 years license.

Now don't quote me on the years I entered, just stating that the concept works :)

18. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    For me the answer is the combination of things you use. Some programs do not work together, and this only you learn from trial and error.

I have no real preference as you can have good combinations and they could be free.

19. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    Believe it or not, I own a 3 Year / 3 User ESET Smart Security License and a 2 Year / 1 user Bitdefender Internet Security License and guess what I am using?

avast! free Antivirus!

Why?

Eset Smart Security = Eset has lost its old status as the leading antivirus engine not missing any viruses in the wild. I feel less secure while using Eset's products now as all they focus now on is the advertising and marketing with their Eset Robot not actually having the same light and effective product they once had (NOD32 v2)

Bitdefender Internet Seucrity = Everytime I give it a change, thinking maybe they will iron the bugs out, but they never do. The moment I install that AV my notebook starts behaving weird randomly, like while watching movies, MPC-HC would just freeze, internet browsing on sites becomes slower, etc. Even though it has one of the best scanning engines, I cant live with that.

I found avast! free antivirus to suite my needs, it has the best of both worlds, not very heavy on system resources yet very good scanning engine, auto sandbox feature for those fishy files, and its FREE!

20. Scoop8

Scoop8 MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2012
    I looked into upgrading to SS5 last March when my SS4 license was about to
    expire but I got a little concerned after reading some reviews about
    problems upgrading, things happening, etc. I know reviews are diverse but
    I thought I'd stay with SS4 for a few months to allow any SS5 bugs (if any)
    to get addressed.

Thanks all, for the info here. From what I see, it's trial & error as
    "MSR" suggested and there are a lot of different takes on this topic.

For example, I have a friend that's been using McAfee for years without any
    issues (no Trojian's, etc) and he's a multi-daily 'net user. He's using
    Firefox though, and that may explain his good track record for no "hits" on
    his PC.

I have another friend that's been using Norton for years with the same
    results.

I selected ESET back in '10 due to a recommendation. I'd never heard of it
    before then but was impressed with its system-recource rating. It's not
    been awful, but I'd like to see a better blocking track record than I've
    seen with my ESET experience this past 2 years so I'll be trying another
    product soon.

Yes, that appeared the way it looked to me back in March when I renwed SS4.

I've heard of "Avast" and I used to know a guy that had been using that for a while. He had good results with it.

(ESET compatibility issues with Malwarebytes): So far, I've been ok with my IE9 brower, when Malwarebytes (pro) is updating. My IE9 stays online and hasn't (so far) stopped working momentarily.