The best paid antivirus engine of 2012

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Josh Cell, Feb 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

What the best paid antivirus of 2012?

1. Avast Antivirus

7.2%
  2. AVG Antivirus

2.1%
  3. Avira Antivirus

4.8%
  4. BitDefender Antivirus

7.5%
  5. Comodo Antivirus

1.4%
  6. Eset Antivirus

36.3%
  7. McAfee Antivirus

2.7%
  8. Norton Antivirus

12.0%
  9. Panda Antivirus

0.3%
  10. Kaspersky Antivirus

25.7%
  1. demisia

demisia MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2012
    Eset Smart Security with : Antivirus, Antispyware and Firewall !

2. ViditM14

ViditM14 MDL Junior Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Bit Defender Rules 'Em All!!
    It has a pretty nice & decent set of features and sports a clean UI. It has a high detection rate and a very low one when it comes to thos FALSE POSITIVES.

3. kmetek

kmetek MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2012
    why COMODO so low score?

4. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    I have never tried both Eset and Kaspersky before. I used Norton when I worked for a company. For my notebook, just Avast Free (Pro), MSE, Comodo AV.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    if you don't want to pay then get out of this thread and no need to hijack it! noone asked you what free option is better than paid! we want quality and support, so we pay! :rolleyes::mad:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Wolf.

Wolf. MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2012
    My opinion is 1. Kaspersky, 2. Eset Nod32, 3. Bitdefender (I've never used but has a good rating). Kaspersky has the best protection, repair and detection, but uses a little more resources and sometimes there is too strict detection(false positives). Eset Nod32 has good features, fast and uses little resources and good for the poor machines. I have not used Bitdefender so I can't comment on.

7. amvlad

amvlad MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2008
    I agree. ;)

8. gjeni

gjeni MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2012
    I say is norton 360 because is complete antivirus and sure.

9. jasoos

jasoos MDL Junior Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Symantec Endpoint protection is the best. cus no need to activate

10. Kamar

Kamar MDL Junior Member

Dec 24, 2009
    The Brain guy had it Right . Use your Brain and not how much the software stuff costs .

All AV softwares use Virus definitions for check the presence of infection . The people checking for new viruses put the virus signature on internet . from there all companies get definition and

mail updates. the testing sites Keep rating all AVS's up and down , I think there's a link in one of the posts , else Google for it

I have found no difference between a paid and free version , and all paid versions have free version for home user .

My first was Norton Av , paid $30.00 for it, and it cleaned my XTG PRO disc , I got infected by bad Cd trying apps. No internet then only BBS .

I now use Free comodo CIS . You could Update virus definition when you want and even CIS when available. I have always used free firewalls and avs.

Make A Image of C:\ partition , keeping a clean system backup. scan once and keep a note of all objectionable apps, utilities and mark them as trusted.

if your system is clean , and you are not connected to net , then turn off CIS , it won't be checking your files , every time you click.

The version Acronis 2013 claims you can set your system to freeze before trying new software and then just go back as if you didn't do any thing . haven't tried it , as I prefer to make a Image
    and go back.

Works for me . Thanks every one.

11. Kamar

Kamar MDL Junior Member

Dec 24, 2009
    The Brain guy had it Right . Use your Brain and not how much the software stuff costs .

All AV softwares use Virus definitions for check the presence of infection . The people checking for new viruses put the virus signature on internet . from there all companies get definition and

mail updates. the testing sites Keep rating all AVS's up and down , I think there's a link in one of the posts , else Google for it

I have found no difference between a paid and free version , and all paid versions have free version for home user .

My first was Norton Av , paid $30.00 for it, and it cleaned my XTG PRO disc , I got infected by bad Cd trying apps. No internet then only BBS .

I now use Free comodo CIS . You could Update virus definition when you want and even CIS when available. I have always used free firewalls and avs.

Make A Image of C:\ partition , keeping a clean system backup. scan once and keep a note of all objectionable apps, utilities and mark them as trusted.

if your system is clean , and you are not connected to net , then turn off CIS , it won't be checking your files , every time you click.

The version Acronis 2013 claims you can set your system to freeze before trying new software and then just go back as if you didn't do any thing . haven't tried it , as I prefer to make a Image
    and go back.

Works for me . Thanks every one.

12. Scoop8

Scoop8 MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2012
    #92 Scoop8, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
    Kamar,

Thanks for the info.

I also use Acronis but it's the 2011 version. That sounds interesting about the '13 feature (freezing / restore point on the fly, etc).

I keep a clean cloned HDD on my shelf in case I get hit with a non-recoverable intrusion.

That happend earlier this week at a reputable net site and one that I visit daily. The interesting thing about this "hit" was that a friend got hit with the same trojan/malware intrusion, within an hour of my hit.

My friend has been using Norton AV for years with no issues. His AV has prevented effects of detected intrusions on his PC. He's running a similar PC as me with the exception that he's using Firefox and I'm an IE user. Just me here, but I'm not convinced that IE (9) is that much more vulnerable than Firefox. That may be accurate but my friend was using Firefox at the time of the same hit at that same 'net site. Firefox didn't appear to block that hit before getting past the browser. Perhaps that's not an accurate technical description though. I'm no guru :). I also think this is the case (IE9 being fairly secure) since I have another friend that's using IE, has for many years, and has never been hit with an intrusion that affected his PC. He's running MacAfee AV.

I'm still running ESET (Smart Sec 4) but am about to try another AV approach. ESET detected the same primary "hit" as my friend and quaranteened the file/attack, but didn't block the effects on my PC. It was one of those bogus "Your PC is not in compliance with the FBI requirements, etc screens, which blocked all acces to the Desktop, Task Manager, etc. I laughed since I knew immediately what it was trying to get me to do (buy/click, etc). I tried a "safe mode" ESET scan which detected many file threats but the scan wasn't able to complete and clean my HDD. The last time I had a "hit", ESET safe-mode scan was able to clean the HDD.

I popped in my clone HDD and was back up in minutes. I like the cloning approach for backup and also recovery.

I'm looking at using Microsoft Security Essentials in conjunction with my MalwareBytes Pro. MSE is free so I figure "why not try it".

I like ESET for it's resource efficiency and user-friendly interface but I gave it a fair 3-yr workout and it's not been able to completely block all effects of these infrequent intrusions.

As I posted earlier, I've averaged about 1 "hit" per year which is ok, I guess, but I think ESET should have protected me a little better than I've seen with my PC. This week's PC issues is the 2nd incident this year so that's where I drew the line on ESET and will try another AV.

Each of the times that I've been hit the past 7-8 years, it's always been at a reputable 'net site (not a shady/"free ringtones/download music" site, etc).

13. bicyclechris

bicyclechris MDL Novice

Oct 31, 2012
    I agree to that, It should be a vote for best overall AV software.

14. xzonefilter

xzonefilter MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2010
    I use ESET And Microsoft Security Essentials, Both working great.

15. BIOSNOIDEA

BIOSNOIDEA MDL Senior Member

Mar 8, 2009
    Symantec

I use Symantec Endpoint Security in all machines, including WIN Server 2008 R2 x64.

A totally and complete different product to Norton. Intrusion Prevention in the network protection side is ultra brilliant.
    Symantec purchased Sygate and put this famous enterprise firewall in it.

It is a real brilliant product. Takes almost not much resources.

Though destined for enterprise home user can buy the small biz edition and is not that expensive.

I have also tried Avast and Kaspersky and very good as well.

AVG, had a very bad experience with version 7 and since then I do not want to touch them.

I have 11 machines at home and have done tests so my comments are based on my own flesh.

16. c0ldhart

c0ldhart MDL Junior Member

Dec 16, 2012
    No antivirus is perfect but i think kaspersky is one of the best using it for 4 years no problem until now

17. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    that's what I use! best combo as its light and the most secure

Eset used to be good now their protection level is amongst the worst

18. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    I have my Antivirus from my ISP provider,I paying for 2 EUR/month.Is Norton Internet security online 2013:eek:

19. pc71520

pc71520 MDL Junior Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Bitdefender Free

20. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    Well, we had a lot of reliable posts inside this thread around one year of creation.

So I think that is time to stop this 2012 discussion.. We have this classification:

01 - 36.73% - ESET Family.
    02 - 25.51% - Kaspersky Family.
    03 - 11.90% - Norton Family.

04 - 7.48% - BitDefender Family.
    05 - 7.14% - Avast Family.
    06 - 4.76% - Avira Family.

07 - 1.36% - Comodo Family.
    08 - 2.72% - MCAfee Family.
    09 - 2.04% - AVG Family.
    10 - 0.34% - Panda Family.

294 Votes since February 5, 2012.

Thanks to all that have contributed with this discussion and which it is useful for the visitors and members.