The Croatoan Mystery

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by R29k, Feb 21, 2015.

1. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    In 1587, the English, led by John White and financed by Sir Walter Raleigh, made their second attempt at setting up a colony on Roanoke Island, which now lies just off the coast of North Carolina in the USA. The colonists disappeared, however, during the Anglo-Spanish War, three years after the last shipment of supplies from England. The settlement is known as “The Lost Colony,” and the fate of the colonists is still unknown.

It all looked so promising in the beginning. The settlers landed on 22 July 1587 and soon established themselves. John White’s daughter Eleanor Dare was pregnant and on 18th August she gave birth to a daughter, Virginia, the first English child born in the Americas. The colonists established friendly relations with one of the local native tribes, the Croatans, who were able to describe to them the politics and geography of the area, but the other indigenous peoples, the Secotans, who had fought against the settlers of the first Roanoake Colony, remained hostile and refused to meet with them. Shortly thereafter, colonist George Howe was killed by natives while searching alone for crabs in Albemarle Sound. Fearing for their lives, the colonists persuaded Governor White to return to England to explain the colony’s desperate situation and ask for help. White duly sailed for England in late 1587, leaving behind about 115 colonists. Unfortunately, the war with Spain and a lack of funds meant that White was only able to return to Roanoke Island three years later. White landed on 18 August 1590, his grand-daughter’s third birthday, but found the settlement deserted. His men could not find any trace of the 90 men, 17 women, and 11 children he had left behind, nor was there any sign of a struggle or battle. The cabins had been taken down, the livestock had vanished and of the people the only traces were two graves and a message: the word “Croatoan” carved into a post of the fort and three letters “Cro” carved into a nearby tree.

White took this to mean that the colonists had gone to live on nearby Croatoan (now called Hatteras) Island with the friendly Croatans but circumstances prevented him from ever investigating this theory. No one ever found out what happened to the settlers and the end of the 1587 colony is unrecorded, leading to it being referred to as the “Lost Colony”. There are multiple hypotheses as to the fate of the colonists, the principal one being that they dispersed and were absorbed by either the local Croatans on Hatteras Island or another native tribe. An investigation of this hypothesis is ongoing in the form of the Lost Colony DNA Project in Houston, Texas, but its findings remain inconclusive. Another theory is that the Croatans turned on the settlers and wiped them out but no bodies were found at the time and no archaeological evidence has been found since then to support this claim. Other possibilities that have been put forward are that the colonists simply gave up waiting, tried to return to England on their own, and perished in the attempt and even that the colony might have been attacked and its members eaten by cannibals (which might explain the lack of bodies but seems somewhat implausible given the complete lack of any evidence of cannibalism being prevalent in the area). Most intriguingly, from 1937 to 1941 a series of stones telling of the travels of the colonists and their ultimate deaths were discovered that claimed to have been written by Eleanor Dare. Most historians believe that the so-called Dare Stones are a fraud, but there are some today that still believe the stones are genuine.

But none of this really explains the significance of the carving of the word “Croatoan” on that post or the fact that the same word has accompanied inexplicable disappearances in North America in the last few centuries, often in places far away from Roanoke Island. A few days before his death, and following a disappearance that remains unexplained to this day, Edgar Allan Poe was brought to his death bed in a state of delirium whispering the word “Croatoan”. The same word was found in other places at other times: scribbled in the journal of Amelia Earhart after her disappearance in 1937, carved into the post of the last bed that the celebrated horror author Ambrose Bierce slept in before he vanished in Mexico in 1913, scratched on the wall of the cell that the notorious stagecoach robber Black Bart inhabited before he was released from prison in 1888 never to be seen again, and, most disturbingly of all, written on the last page of the logbook of the ship Carroll A. Deering when it ran aground with no one aboard on Cape Hatteras in 1921 (not that far from what was once known as Croatoan Island).

What the secret of Croatoan is and in particular what its connection is to those born in the Americas that causes their disappearance even far from home remains a mystery to this day. It would be remiss of me, however, not to mention one more theory, that of the natives who once lived on Roanoke Island all those years ago. The Croatans themselves believed that the island had a spirit and, if angered, this spirit had the power to change those who offended it into the form of animals, trees and rocks. So perhaps this is the explanation – that none of the people affected really disappeared but were simply transformed. If so it is no less bizarre or credible than any of the other theories that have been put forward over the years!

Source

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #2 Skaendo, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    Please take this reference with a grain of salt, but I recently watched a TV show (America Unearthed S01E07 Mystery of Roanoke) that attempted to shed some light on the subject.

It has also been shown (In the same show, later episodes) that there have been many more expeditions to the "Americas" before Christopher Columbus "discovered" it.

I am not a big fan of the show itself, or the host, but it does have some good thinking points. The show itself is mostly 'b-roll' and speculation, IMO.

*He claims that our history is not what we have been taught in the history books, and we have been 'lied' to, which I think is partially if not mostly true, but while the points that he delivers can be true, and make a lot of sense, he cannot deliver any hard evidence for any endeavor he takes on. Kind of disappointing really, because I would like to see him actually prove something.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Here , the problem with the imperial powers in those days is that they were all full of crap. Apparently it never went through their heads that other people had boats and the Bering Strait existed. That wasn't the objective, it was a land grab. If I were the red indians I would have been extremely pissed off to have a man land in an area where he couldn't see anyone and then claim to be the first to land there and claim the whole thing for himself. If the red indians had some gattling guns then it would probably be a very different continent right now.
    By the way, history is written by the winners not the losers so you only get one perspective.

Have We Found the Lost Colony of Roanoke Island?

4. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #4 Skaendo, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    I think that the Maya were here before any of them, possibly the first inhabitants here. I can't remember where I read that, but some evidence was supposedly found to support that theory. Some of it included the Mayan pictographs in the Grand Canyon, and some kind of evidence them near or in Florida, before they moved into Mexico and Central America.

I could possibly have seen that on that show as well.

Not that I put a lot of faith in that show, I don't put a lot of faith in NatGeo either. Or Discovery, or History. I tend to watch a lot of those kind of programs though, some of it makes sense to me and some of it doesn't, so I try to take it all at face value and come to my own conclusions.

I do very much agree with you that history is written by the 'winners', and the whole story is never known. That is how that guy that does America Unearthed feels, and what he bases his show on. I'm not advocating for him or his show, he has yet to prove anything to me, but (again taken at face value) it is a good watch and there are some interesting things that he points out about the history here and those who were here before Columbus.

Back to the Croatoan, that NatGeo piece is a good read, but they kind of lost me when they are speculating about "tensions with Native American tribes". How would they know? Is there some record of it happening? The reference that they give is to a .gov address, and guess what, their the ones who won so how much can you believe from them?

If their researchers are looking more than 3 feet deep to find anything besides graves, then their methods are flawed. Anything after 3 feet is probably going to be thousands of years old.

I think that it's good that someone is at least looking to find something out about them, I just don't know who I would believe more.

I also read somewhere recently that British scientists have found evidence that we may have been put here by "directed panspermia", which (bear with me here) means that we were seeded here by aliens. How much of that do I believe, well I don't know. I guess that anything is possible.

5. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    #5 R29k, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    :eek:Oooh boy bringing up the alien origins of humans is a huge topic and lots of evidence.
    Apparently aliens bred the human race to be gold mining slaves.
    There is evidence all over Africa for this in the form of ancient mines.
    http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sumer_anunnaki/esp_sumer_annunaki35.htm

Also DeBeers , a diamond mining company in South Africa found a 22000 feet ancient mine shaft that was cut with technology not available even now.

There is a two hour video that details all this, I posted it somewhere on the forum before, but will re post here.
    There is also the power of sound and what not ... take it with a grain of salt ...

To be honest, I think truth is stranger than fiction so there might be truth in this.

6. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    I will have to watch that tonight, I've read a lot about the Annunaki. Always a interesting subject. I have even learned a little of the cuneiform writing, albeit only numbers (0-11).

7. infringer

infringer MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2010
    Wow what an interesting piece of history.

Ancient Alien Theory in full swing really a lot of things do beg the bigger picture questions in life there are so many WTF's found in archeology it amazes me that people still think everything is cut and dried and known.

Was it an alien was it a future time traveler was it human ingenuity and we just don't give ancients enough credits as most of the literature was destroyed in fire.

Much of history needs to be rewritten without a doubt good post folks!

8. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Religion is a corrupted version of things that happened. There are aliens mentioned in every religious text.
    I'm afraid that when the truth comes out, humans won't like it.

9. infringer

infringer MDL Novice

Dec 30, 2010
    #9 infringer, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    As the Xfiles would say in there one line "The truth is out there."

To tell it like it is, it is not a matter of the information being out there and available instead it is the ability of the evaluator to actually consider possibility and start to accept that some of this history does not add up. And what is written is written in a language far different than our own even though it may still be english. But some of the solid evidence out there should be enough to convince most people. You will always have skeptics and I believe this is healthy over all.

And I am not sure to be honest if or what exactly it says about aliens ... It seems to be the texts talk of people coming from the sky and so forth I assume they could be aliens indeed.

Manipulation of the God particle would explain why nasa the smoking gun on youtube has objects that are pulsating and appear transparent. Either way there is no denying that there is some type of phenomena going on in space which we have no real explanation for. Comets do not may right angle turns as well as a ton of other observations. I would assume it could be very easy for there to be an advanced civilization in our midst without us even knowing they are here. Heck we have tech that can make things visually transparent already and bend light around objects imagine what we will have in another thousand years !

10. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
  11. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
  12. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014