The Danger of some Chinese Websites

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by pisthai, Jun 4, 2016.

1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The Danger of some Chinese Websites: Baidu and Tencent!

I got the first real infection on Windows 10 today in the morning while searching for some special drivers on Taiwanese and China Websites.

Firstly, a very short living screen was popping up and say that I could work while installing! Just a matter of 2-3 sec and that screen were gone. immediately opened the Taskmanager and looked for suspicious apps and saw that Tencent. Tried to end process: IMPOSSIBLE!! 5 instances were running beside of an other of Baidu!

Ok, stopping impossible, and so to delete in ProgramFiles x86 newly shown Tencent and Baidu Folders! So, I restarted the Machine, now not booting from internal HDD, was booting from USB HDD with Windows 10. Iuse to have one USB3 HDD with Windows 10 Enterprise, special created with apps for problems as this new one.

First thing I did were to set the internal System HDD to Online stage (normally in Win2Go the internal HDD's are offline) and delete all folders I found on the System HDD, and those were located at:

• ProgramFiles x86
    • Program Data
    • Users, several instances

That deletion could only be done as Administrator!

Further, I opened Registra Registry Manager Pro 7.75 and searched for all entries of either Tencent and Baidu and eleted all of them. That were a total of more then 500 entries!! After that, I restarted the computer from internal System HDD, and opened Regedit as Admin and seraches again for Tencent and Baidu, Reason are very easy, if use a external Registration Editor and change and/pr delete something, there will be a new Reg-Folder in Local Machine called Undo, which contains all infose delete withg the 3.party apps. Again, all those I deleted one by one because It couldn't be done at once like in Registra Registry Manager, just to avoid that those entries could come back!!

OK, my machine is backl in normal stage and works with no problems. I just posted this as reminder of the danger of some chinese websites. Last time I had such problems, is a few years ago on Windows 8.1, also with Baidu. And this Tencent is owned by Baidu!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Can you please tell us what drivers are you looking for?

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Sure!

A driver for the HDD Case Staray S2 Series from Stardom, Raidon in Taiwan. It's a older 2.5" HDD Enclosurer with Fingerprint and IDE Interface. My customer had lose that Driver and RFaidon didn't provide that driver, told: Not more available!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ecraiger

ecraiger MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2014
    Have you tried Snappy Driver?
    sdi-tool[dot]org

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Here some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Yes and NO, not available!

Problem is, if the driver for the Fingerprint apps couldn't be installed, you couldn't get access to the HDD's content, just to a small partition of 20MB!! And there some important data on the HDD of my customer.

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Just to clarify: I posted just about the bad outcome from those Chinese Websites, to warn other, who may interested to know that and/or have such experiences as well!

That problem with the driver, I explained only because Tito was asking for it!

8. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
  9. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    i have a simply solution...stay away from trojan sites.

10. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    Simple to say, but impossible to achieve while online. Your argument would require everyone to unplug their computer. Even Facebook was hacked once. There is no telling at any given moment on which site is safe or not. Because everything online is a risk.

The sooner more people learn that; the sooner more people will take their security seriously.

11. GezoeSloog

GezoeSloog knows a guy, who knows another guy.

Feb 10, 2012
    Cool story, bro :dicht:

12. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    what browser? any ad block soft?

13. RGadelha

RGadelha MDL Expert

Feb 14, 2010
    Hey Pisthai,
    Thank you for sharing with us, my friend :D

14. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Don't turn UAC off then, and programs won't be able to install themselves without your permission

PEBKAC error

15. RGadelha

RGadelha MDL Expert

Feb 14, 2010
    Most common error ever :D

[​IMG]

16. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    dude all does Chinese sites are booby trap...did he find the driver no.....all found their was a virus.

17. xman charl

xman charl MDL Junior Member

Nov 21, 2014
    had some of that stuff go after bios on mother board

got a junk os, win 7 ultimate on old hard drive

its for goofy stuff, kind that should not be run

so, would think its isolated from my main raid and system stuff

no, no this one thingy started installing a bunch of junk, then
    a cmd prompt opened, slic injector started up.

apparently was going for bios on mother board

have several bios chips for mother board, so it
    could easy be replaced on the board, as chip socket is up front,
    no need to remove mother board

when that cmd prompt opened up on screen, pressed power off
    button

bios seems to be okay, as several utility's were run, compared to a previously
    save bios file, shows no changes

my 2 cents

Charl

18. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    I have malwarebytes, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit , Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware, This scared me I turned UAC back on, should I :confused:

19. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    u search in worst place, what made u think the driver was in their:rolleyes: im sure that driver is in the net some were in some huge driver archive u just have to look in the right place. good luck

20. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    :facepalm:
    Member since 2014 and ignores clean and original M$haft isos found in here?
    http://forums.mydigitallife.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=40053&d=1461860011