The Death of The American Dream - tell us when it happened for you.

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Mutoid, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Many people mention specific historical events that for them , ended " The American Dream " .

The assassinations of Martin Luther King , JFK , Lennon ?

All opinions would me most welcome .

I'll start the ball rolling with this photo .

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. magdalene

magdalene MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2012
    The American Dream = exploitation and subjugation for everyone else.

Anyway, the Chinese Dream is about to become much more tantalising.We'll have to wait and see what it means for the rest of the world.

3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Unfortunately the American dream is not dead. (Capitalistic/monopolistic Americans/companies are still dreaming)

It just unveils the meaning of a dream, which is dream=illusion.
    But therefore one needs another (awake) perspective to look at it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    The American dream for me was owning my own house and having a successful career and life.

It died for me when I realized how much responsibility there is when you own a house, how expensive it is, how much time and effort you have to put in to have success, and how much taxes has to be paid because the political class lives on the back of the working class.

5. ausernamenoonehas

ausernamenoonehas MDL Member

Aug 2, 2015
    I am not American, so I guess the American dream never meant anything to me personally. But looking from the outside, I'd say the American dream has slowly eroded in a process that takes place over time.

About the time your original 13 states adopted their new constitution, in 1787, Alexander Tyler, a Scottish history professor at the University of Edinburgh, had this to say about the fall of the Athenian Republic some 2,000 years prior.

"A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship."

"The average age of the worlds greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence"

1. From bondage to spiritual faith;
    2. From spiritual faith to great courage;
    3. From courage to liberty;
    4. From liberty to abundance;
    5. From abundance to complacency;
    6. From complacency to apathy;
    7. From apathy to dependence;
    8. From dependence back into bondage"

Professor Joseph Olson of Hamline University School of Law, St. Paul, Minnesota believes the United States is now somewhere between the "complacency and apathy" phase of Professor Tyler's definition of democracy, with some 40 percent of the nation's population already having reached the "governmental dependency" phase.

You can clearly see this happening in America today, and sadly the end of the American dream along with it.

6. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    The American dream was just that, a dream, by the time I was born.
    In my opinion it began it's slow death in 1913 with the creation of the federal reserve which in reality is neither federal nor a reserve. It is more of a hybrid cartel of which our government is a member.
    For more detailed info search out G Edward Griffin's excellent book "The Creature From Jekyll Island" and read it in it's entirety at least twice.
    FYI, Jekyll Island, Georgia is where a group of bankers first gathered and clandestinely conspired to create the federal reserve in 1910.

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007

I completely understand what you mean.
    But I'd say it is not an American dream, especially. It is a 'human' dream to have success and to own a house.

And it is a human issue. When life value is gained by capital there will be 'classes'. And one class is always more powerful than another.

8. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Which one would you prefer, the American or Chinese dream?

9. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    A dream is just a dream...

10. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    As an American, I can say that the promise of the "American Dream" has been shoved down the throats of just about -every- American.
    Some can do it, some can't.

Myself, I just want to be comfortable and stable. Personally, I don't see myself owning a house and land, but I respect and admire those who do.
    It takes an enormous amount of work and money to keep a house.

Also, I agree with others here who say that the "American Dream" Is not something that is unique to Americans. Everyone want's what's best for their family.

"If You're going to dream, then dream big."

11. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    My dream is to see my boys as healthy, decent (grown-up) human beings... (And at least some of my music and philosophical ideas published, OK... :D if I am bit "egocentric"... :D )

As for the world: Scandinavian Social Democracy, coupled with "southern" warmth and open-ness... Before I die... Please, Humanity! Learn from the best! ;)

Talk about dreams... :D

12. ausernamenoonehas

Aug 2, 2015
    #12 ausernamenoonehas, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Here's your Scandinavian Social Democracy with "southern" warmth and open-ness ...

;)

13. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    #13 gorski, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    Boy, are you a right-wing sorry sod - no brains allowed!!!! - or what... :rolleyes:

Yeah, 80 million Germans, 60 million Brits, and as many French, Italians and whatnot - they will all "disappear", our beautiful and "superior", unbelievable "white race" will be pushed into the Atlantic and Northern Sea by the "enormous flood" of basically poor, sorry, powerless people, left with nothing but their lives, pushed out of their homes - and all in order to satisfy our need for resources and domination around the world....

Sure, nothing to do with us, Gov...:rolleyes: We have nothing whatsoever to do with it!:rolleyes: And therefore, we have no responsibility (God forbid "guilt":rolleyes: ) towards any of this...:rolleyes: We just fell from Mars, so we have no clue how on Earth all this happened to gorgeous and blameless, honey-sweet "us"...:rolleyes:

Btw, we (sweet and angelic Europeans, especially the "special ones" amongst us:rolleyes:) gave the world concentration camps (Brits invented those in S. Africa), 2 world wars, colonisation, genocide, ecocide and whatnot. Just how "beautiful", "superior" are we, if we can not "survive" a few million migrants, which are (rationally speaking) necessary, btw, for our "exporting EU industry"???

Fancy trying to make a video with those "undertones"?:rolleyes: Because, I can sense some equally stoopid "fundamentalist" from "the other side" making a few of those, so you can give each other succour, so your NaziFascist parties, "Masters of Universe" with your mindset, can "prosper" in EU, while such a-holes can "prosper" at "the other end"...:rolleyes:

Go take a hike to a KKK forum and sell that there, mo#on...:rolleyes:

14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #14 Yen, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017

My oh my!

What has this to do with the US American dream?

If you want to dump your brown sh*t, do it elsewhere. :rolleyes:

I am sorry to say you obviously are lacking of self-awareness that much that you have to gain your ego-awareness from parroting old right propaganda.

Be sure you are not superior and have to die as well. You are fooling yourself as any brown ego does...and your artificial feeling of 'solidarity' with like-minded (if you find any here) cannot change that fact. :rolleyes:

I am speechless. :rolleyes:

15. ausernamenoonehas

Aug 2, 2015
    Got to laugh how the typical responce is ALWAYS "your a Nazi, your KKK" from the brainwashed. I guess that video is all CGI hollywood fakery :rolleyes:

Those who are unfortunate enough to live in Europe will be living with this. And I don't just mean the migrant crisis unfolding, but also the division this will cause its peoples with Nationlism and the right wing extremists, who will no doubt use this situation also. What a mess ...

As for brown shirt, give it a rest. I really don't care about names or lables, I know who I am.

The real interesting thing of all this is its only just beginning. I have time on my side to see how this social experiment will play out in the long term ...

16. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Wow....
    I'm not trying to bring personal beliefs into this, but that scenario fits into the prophecies of the book of Revelation.
    I'm not taking any issues with this....just publicly noting

17. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Brainless morons!

18. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012

Seriously....
    is that your best that you can come up with?
    I think the American dream is from one's point of view. I was born in the 50's and my dad had a good paying job in manufacturing. Mom didn't have to work and took care of her kids.
    The rest is history that we already know

19. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Find other idiots to play and share your "insights" with...

Usually, the atmosphere here is way too 'rarefied' for the likes of you...

20. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I am living in the EU.

If you don't sympathize with those 'Nationalists' and you are posting this for info as a neutral observer you should post that. ;)

The problems in the EU are because of nationalistic mind set. If there would be real solidarity the EU would have no problems to offer for all refugees a safe place here....:rolleyes:

That they need help is obvious!