The dependency service or group failed to start

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Simon Sudbury, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Simon Sudbury

Simon Sudbury MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2012
    Hi

Like many I'm trying to upgrade Vista to Windows 7. I ran the Win 7 system readiness tool and the only thing outstanding was SP1. In common with many I could not instal SP1. I tried all the fixes including Chkdsk and SFC Scanow etc and the result is that I have no internet access with the above message next to the network icon.

I've tried restting the TCP/IP stack in a command window (restore .net...winsock..) but still the same message. I understand it could be due to a corrupt file in the sytem 32 folder and there is a fix involving taking ownership and deleting that. Has anyone tried that?

Is there anything else I can try to get internet back short of a clean instal?

Many thanks

2. Simon Sudbury

Simon Sudbury MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2012
    Hi

Am resigned to doing clean install of Windows 7 now. I have DELL XPS 420, do I have to get Win 7 drivers for this in addition to running the Win 7 installation CD?

Thanks

3. Simon Sudbury

Simon Sudbury MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2012
    Hi

Is ther no inel on this issue?

Thanks

4. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
  5. Simon Sudbury

Simon Sudbury MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2012
    Many thanks

Yes I since learned that it's not Win 7 compatible but many have been using Win 7 for ages with that machine. Seems to be a combo of the Win 7 CD and then fiiling in the gaps with Vista drivers which are XPS420 specific (I think).

Going to try it anyway as I despise Vista.

Thanks again