The Desktop Window Manager has exited with code (0x40010004) & Roaming Profile Issues

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by applegate, Oct 31, 2009.

1. applegate

applegate MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
  2. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    make sure the local profiles on the machines are deleted before converting to roaming profiles.

I had issues with this, DWM wasn't crashing but it would never display my desktop it would login once then after that it would just hang.

It took me a few tries to get everything working (I had a user profile on almost all my servers, so I had to delete and recreate the profiles a few times), but your best bet is to go into

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\ProfileList and delete the profile corresponding to your user name, then go to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\ProfileGUID and delete the entry corresponding to your SID.

reboot the box, log on as local admin or anyone other than your roaming profile and backup or delete your local profile then reboot the box. If you are lucky it will load your new profile on the first try. If it doesn't you will need to repeat what I said about the profile thing, it will eventually take.

Your error is saying that the network share is no longer available which could be a DNS issue

3. applegate

applegate MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    I completely re-installed the Windows Server 2008.

Still had a problem with 1 old profilename I used again on the old server becasue it was still somewhere left on a W7 client (only name match).

With new names the profiles did have no problem any more.

So I also reinstalled the W7 client and the roaming profile problems are gone!

CONCLUSION:

1) WARNING: The Roaming Profile between W7 and W2K8 is still an issue I hope W2K8 R2 will be better.
    2) ISSUE: The cleanup of Roaming Profiles (existing users and removed users on CLient and Server) is VERY BAD, because of the many left over things on disk and Registry)

4. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    it is just the problem from going from Local to Roaming profiles.

Most of it comes down to the registry, hopefully they find a way to get rid of it. I don't have many problems with the registry but I still find myself having to load up regedit or delete an ntuser.dat a few times a month.

5. mamun03

mamun03 MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2009
    Discussion Forums » Tech Support Forums » Client / End User Issues » Logoff after la

Hi,

Do you have the Desktop Experience feature installed on the W2K8 servers? Do you have the Windows Vista Theme enabled on any of the problem profiles?

I would try removing the Desktop Experience feature on a test server and make sure the Windows Classic theme is in use within a test user profile and see if the problem goes away.

6. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    it is a problem with roaming profiles and already existing profiles, when the profile tries to load and convert it from a local to roaming it tends to hang sometimes, this is mostly due to the registry and the fact that your user profile hive doesn't unload until you reboot the machine. So this is why you have to rename the profile and delete it out of the registry before switching to a roaming profile.

7. applegate

applegate MDL Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Problem Solved

I have found the problem and the solution after a long time!

Unbelievable, but it is the Atheros L1 Gigabyte NIC (formely known as Attansic).

The standard driver version supplied by the motherboard is creating the problem which I can reproduce very easy. Install It and all problems are back.

I installed the latest driver version (2.4.7.10) and it is gone.

Also had to turn off Task Offload (NIC properties) otherwise the network will sometimes just die when moving large files over the network.

Advice: don't buy a motherboard with an Atheros L1 NIC.

Thanks for every one who replied and spend to time to help me.