The fastest windows 11

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by Feroi, Feb 10, 2023.

1. Feroi

Feroi MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2021
    Hi I've got a dream to create the fastest snd lightest windows 11 image possible, currently I've used dism to remove packages and disable features, but my wim files are still a lot bigger and slower the the zosma or phoenix ones, what other tools could I use to make windows lighter?

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Nothing will make your windows significantly faster without the possibility of creating incompatibility, instability or future problems, just invest in proper hardware.

3. berr1sfueller

berr1sfueller MDL Senior Member

Nov 17, 2022
    Had the same dream myself (hence why I created this).
    Go ahead and make a science experiment out of it. Get inspired, there are no rules or consequences (we're talking redundancy buddy).
    If you're already using another tool to debloat, convert the final WIM to VHDX. Then boot from it (or mount) and chop away at what's left.
    Try the VHDX slot system. Use the first boot-slot for your primary OS, then the remainder as test slots.
    Be the compatibility. That's why I made it, go crazy. Also deleting the WinSXS folder does wonders for image size.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    I have done all that before, and updates are broken. You can not even install them manually. One other thing, too. It does nothing to speed up the OS. If you want a faster OS than disable all start-up items, turn off visual effects, and have a kick-ass processor and mega RAM.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. berr1sfueller

berr1sfueller MDL Senior Member

Nov 17, 2022
    With an 8+ core CPU you might not notice a difference. On a quad core the increased response is indisputable. Whopping 75% reduction in DPC latency (when compared to stock) with a reduced process/thread/handle count of ~50/~500/~20000. You can get better results than that.
    Reminds me of roundabout talks on overclocking. It's about having fun, but never short of critics.

6. Feroi

Feroi MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2021
    well, mostly I'm
    trying to cut windows just for fun) and I just wanna learn how other people like phoenix or zosma does it)

7. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018

Decrapping Windows is not fun, it's self defense.

8. naxal

naxal MDL Member

May 15, 2014
    Unpopular opinion but I find Windows 11 fast enough even in it's stock form.

For comparison, Windows 11 stock with bunch of stuff installed and crap in it & without disabling anything or any tweak runs as good as stock Ubuntu LTS Desktop with similar stuff installed !! -> on same exact hardware.

Infact Windows experience is more polished and smoother compared to Ubuntu LTS Desktop.

Personal opinion, but I don't see the present speed as delivered by stock Windows installation is hampering my productivity in anyway. It's not like that my fingers are waiting for things to happen before I can click something else.

Hardware that I am talking about is very modest. R5 1600 / 16GB (8x2) RAM / WD 570 NVMe / GT730, nothing fancy or super expensive.

What I am concerned about is the data what Microsoft wishes to collect from my installation. Not the speed or performance, that is very much satisfactory for me. Infact after Windows XP & Windows 7 (So called modern eye candy GUI based OS), Windows 11 is something that I am enjoying.

Thanks.

9. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018

The news here is that a bloated Linux is as slow as a bloated Windows.

The ISO size should tell you something. Ubuntu LTS = 3.6GB

A decent Linux distro like Q4OS = 1GB ....

10. verndog

verndog MDL Member

May 3, 2010
    @OP, Run Task Manager. Look for programs running that might slow down your system. To the left click on Startup apps. See if something running there that might impact your system.

11. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    ubuntu mate lts lights like windows 10 ltsc or windows 7