The files needed to create a system repair disc were not found on this computer.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by C.B., Mar 14, 2012.

1. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I have a Dell XPS-17 L702X, running Ultimate x64, with two 500 GB drives. Dell replaced the OS drive and while attempting to create a system repair disc I received the message "The files needed to create a system repair disc were not found on this computer". I have five other Dell computers, two laptops and three desktops, and never had a problem creating a system repair disc. I have the Windows installation DVD that came with the laptop but it is defective, creating an OS that will not allow me access to my "Dell Audio Manager by Realtek", which is why Dell had to replace the drive after trying for several months, to no avail, to access my Audio Manager.

Does anyone know what causes this problem and/or how to fix it? Thank you in advance for your time and any assistance provided.

C.B.

2. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
    #2 C.B., Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
    (OP)
    Thank you, acrsn, for your prompt reply. I simply want this laptop to work as it should. Here is my reply to a contributor on the Dell Laptop Hardware Forum:Thank you for your prompt reply, xxxxxxxxx. I realize what you are saying. I always purchase the OS installation DVD when buying computers from Dell. I have a Studio XPS 7100 running Win 7 Ultimate x64 that also came with an installation DVD and I have no problems creating a system repair disc (from within Backup and Restore in Control Panel). I don't want to use the OS installation that came with the laptop because I will have no access to my Dell Audio Manager by Realtek. That's the reason Dell had to replace the OS drive.

The Studio XPS 7100 has the OS on the C drive and my two optical drives are labeled DVD RW Drive D and BD-Rom Drive E, and the recovery partition does not have a drive letter. The recovery partition on the XPS-17 L702X also has no drive letter assigned to it.
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that I did run sfc /scannow and the result was "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations. I will now run chkdsk.
    Sorry, I also forgot to mention that I never depend on one method of backup. I believe in redundancy and always use more than one utility to do my system backups. I used Acronis True Image for years but after having an abundance of problems with the 2011 and 2012 versions of TIH I will never again use Acronis TIH. It's simply not worth the aggravation and frustration, especially since Acronis support never seems to be able to diagnose the problems I encountered while using TIH.

Again, as always, I appreciate your time and your assistance. I also want to reiterate that I have no problem burning a system repair disc on the Studio XPS 7100, which also came with an installation DVD. I should be able to do the same on the laptop but I cannot.

C.B.

3. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
  4. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
  5. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #5 PhaseDoubt, Mar 14, 2012
    Yep, that is correct; the disks are not computer specific. Just burn a disk from a W7 x64 machine if you need an x64 repair disk.

6. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
    #6 C.B., Mar 14, 2012
    (OP)
    Hey acrsn. Actually, I just finished adding all my other software to the new OS drive installed by a Dell tech. I've made a set of recovery discs using Dell DataSafe Local but I'm not sure they'll work considering the fact I can't burn a system repair disc from within Control Panel, Backup and Restore. I don't have this problem with the desktop, which is only six months older than the laptop. I don't want to try the DataSafe recovery discs because it will only reproduce the recovery partition without all the other software that has been installed. I'm simply trying to make sure that I have a way to recover in the future if necessary

"As for the recovery partition, it is a hidden partition therefore should not have a drive letter." (Quote from your previous post)

When I first received the new OS drive I could not get Dell DataSafe Local to install because it could not find a path to the recovery partition. Dell's solution was to assign the drive letter D to my recovery partition, change my second internal drive from Drive D to Drive E and my optical drive from Drive E to Drive F. The Dell tech then created a path for DataSafe to the recovery partition D. Hell of a solution, wasn't it? Later the same day I received a black screen during startup. In any event, I didn't particularly think much of that solution so I did a F8 and restored it to its factory state and started over. I don't know why but the Dell DataSafe installation was successful the second time around.

C.B.

7. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Thank you again, acrsn. I sincerely appreciate it. I have to go now. I have my daily meeting with Ignorant Anonymous.

8. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Thank you, PhaseDoubt. I appreciate your time and your assistance.

C.B.

9. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    You're welcome. Just remember, the two imaging systems (Windows and Dell) are completely independent of each other.

I think there's an echo in here.

10. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Great minds work alike. :biggrin: