The GPU Wars, & AMD's FAIL

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by digiquandry, Jun 12, 2019.

1. digiquandry

digiquandry MDL Member

Sep 13, 2015
    #1 digiquandry, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. digiquandry

digiquandry MDL Member

Sep 13, 2015
    #2 digiquandry, Jun 13, 2019
    (OP)
    Why I believe AMD's GPU Lineup is an Over-priced FAIL!

IMHO...AMD's immediate problem is not R&D...it's pricing.

I agree with the guy ("not an apple fan") in the video above...wholeheartedly.

His arguement is that AMD has EARNED THE RIGHT to charge more and not undercut with their CPUs. They have released a top-tier product and blown the competition away.

However, they have not done this with their GPUs. They have released a product that-- though cheaper than the Nvidia equivalent--is not mind-blowing, performance-wise. And they don't even challenge NVidia's best.

Per this theory (which I agree with), the only hope that AMD had to increase market share was to come in at the $350 range...offering super value. LOADS of disgruntled NVidia users would have flocked to them.

But, when pitting two similar products at similar prices, more people will choose NVidia by default, because PERCEPTUALLY they are the premium product. AMD can sell some video cards, but they are not in the position to take back market share unless they offer extreme value in price. THEN, down the road they could have released a top-tier model...gotten it on all the benchmarking channels...and they would be perceived as the premiere product, and they could charge a little more.

Now AMD has screwed themselves and will have to lower prices no matter what. They are not even on the shelves yet and NVidia (if the leak is true) are offering a new lineup....called "Super RTX". What this means is...the standard RTX lineup (2060/ 2070/ 2080) will drop in price, thus wiping out AMD's cost advantage.

And AMD's 5700 Series hasn't even launched yet!!

Had AMD priced correctly from the start, their perceived value would have stayed intact.

They just blew the biggest opportunity in the history of gaming/ GPUs...and some of us see it so clearly. THAT OPPORTUNITY IS GONE FOREVER.

You cannot de-throne the leader unless you have a game-changing product. They have this with their CPUs...but the GPUs are mediocre, so a different strategy was required....but AMD didn't see that.

So now, NVidia has released 3 generations (1660ti/ RTX/ RTX Super) in just one year!!!! And to show how out of whack they are with reality, cards that are 4 or more generations old (GTX 1080...Pascal series) are still selling for $1,300! Are you s**tting me?

When the GTX 1050 came out it offered top-notch gaming for $250-ish. This wasn't that long ago! Now, if you want to do 1440p/ 60fps...or even 1080p ultra...you have to start at $500?

So the Bitcoin craze happened 2 years ago and these manufacturers realized they could screw all gamers and double their prices. Well, those times are gone!

This is the start of the GPU Price Wars and I hope neither side wins!

I will be sitting on the sidelines like a hungry wolf until these sheep get exhausted.

Neither will receive one penny from me until greed is tempered and prices come back to reality.

As much as AMD impressed with their CPUs...they equally failed to impress with their GPUs.

This debate is about the very future of PC gaming. At current GPU prices, consoles will appeal to more and more gamers...and fewer and fewer people will be able to afford a PC which has any teeth...which until recently has been available to the mainstream populace. Lisa Su said "We love gamers." I'm skeptical. END OF RANT.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    #3 rayleigh_otter, Jun 13, 2019
    AMD loves gamers because they are cows who can be constantly milked for 2 frames per second extra every 6 months. Same with Nvidia and Intel.

While people have the "must have the best/must have the best quality" and "keep up with the jones's" things wont change. It cant be good for the environment either when all this gear ends up in landfills.

Off topic,
    I recently got a Denon amplifier that was sold new in 1995, very good condition. I feed it ac3 2 and 5.1 channel converted to 2 channel wav from a Denon network player, another fleebay find. What comes out is glorious even though ac3 is strangulated, i will keep the lot until A i die, B, each part dies which i can get repaired hopefully and if i can they get listed a faulty and for repair/spares only. Why junk this lot because there is better quality elsewhere? Recycling :)

4. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    whats sucks in the GPU game u will never have the greatest and latest for to long.

5. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    #5 rayleigh_otter, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    It was either this one or the presentation before but Lisa Su looked and sounded tired. Same old crowd though, they didnt seem that bothered and she keeps saying "isnt that amazing" or similar. I swear those people would clap if you showed them a dog turd on a stick.
    Thats the last time i watch a presentation :suicide:

6. digiquandry

digiquandry MDL Member

Sep 13, 2015