The Holy Grail part 2: Hyper-V role on 2011 Colorado Srv. WHS/SBS-E 2011, SSE 2008r2

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by T-S, Nov 19, 2015.

1. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #1 T-S, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  2. beta-hunter

beta-hunter MDL Member

Dec 14, 2008
    nice share but the download page sucks! can you upload it to mega please.

3. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Or maybe your browser sucks.

Just read the instructions in bold, or use Jdownloader, which is the most obvious way to download something from any cyberlocker (mega included)

4. kibkalo

kibkalo MDL Addicted

Sep 8, 2009
    Can anyone help with a CAB package with Hyper-V from Windows Server 2016?
    What I want, is to try to replace Hyper-V on Windows 10 with the one from Windows Server - to get Live Migration working.

5. bear_aussie

bear_aussie MDL Senior Member

Jun 8, 2015
    don't really understand why you'd do this

I was enthralled by your wmc thread. I'm a great lover of wmc myself and there really isn't anything that matches it feature for eature

hyper-v though is something you use because its there. lots of other hypervisors out there (free ones too like virtualbox) that even have more features

or maybe I'm mistaken. is there something specific you needed that only hypver-v provides??

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

You seem pretty confused about the virtualizzation.

Hyper V is an hypervisor, Virtualbox or Vmware workstatio are not.

Both the solutions have pro and cons, but Hyper V is absolutely a better solution for a server environment

And no, Hyper V wasn't there. That's the whole point of this thread.

There is a lot that Hyper V (and other hypervisors) provides.

First of all HV runs on baremetal, that means that the "Host" OS is just a privileged VM (HV is the true OS).

In turn that means that you can have the main/host OS hung, but all the VMs alive and kicking

You have a seamless management of the startup/save/shutdown of the VMs when the host is started/stopped

You have a native format for virtual HDDs

You can overprovision and manage the RAM assigned to VMs, which is an huge advantage over the static assignment.

You can start VMs on baremetal just adding the VHDs to your bootloader.

On Remote FX enabled HV you can have smooth high quality video and 3D on virtualized machines (wmc included), and you can access these features even from a 10 years old garbage PC (via RDP)

And so on

On the other hand Vmware and Virtualbox are better suited for personal use, to test an os, to flash a phone using an old OS, thanks to their easy usb/peripheral redirection

Unity and Seamless integration are great to run a unsupported single program (WMC included) on a personal desktop

But the last time I checked WHS was a server, and there HV wins hands down over VMware Workstation and Virtualbox.

In short (as usual) you need the right hammer to crack a definite kind of nut.
    Personally I did this because I wanted the Deduplication on WHS (but once the door is opened, the added possibilities are endless).

A single VM (using the free/superlight hypercore server), the disks connected in passtrough, and voilĂ .

In short WHS lacked four things:

The ability of being a domain controller-->fixed (not yet published)

The ability to run HV VMs--->fixed

The deduplication ability --->fixed

And the ability to run WMC--->fixed (peheraps in 4/5 different ways :biggrin:)

That's all

7. bear_aussie

bear_aussie MDL Senior Member

Jun 8, 2015
    I don't think so. been doing it for years even with hyper-v (when its there! :D).

I've never heard the difference between type 1 (baremetal) and type 2 (hosted) hypervisors described like that (that type 2s aren't hypervizzors :D at all)

though neally all of what you said even freebie virtualbox can do, this one jumped out at me right away:

what REALLY caught my eye though

didn't know that, cool. is it as capable as the server 2012 and later version, or is like the s**tty Sis we had back in server 2008 and 2003?

but then you said

so you had to patch it in from another server version? I wouldn't have thouht that you could bring it in across kernel versions. or is it from windows storage server? don't remember if it had dedup

cool beans glad it works for ya :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Sis is practically useless, except in some corner cases (mail servers ans similar applications), perhaps you can have it on WHS just installing the MSI taken from Storage Server 2008R2 (disk two), no hack needed.

Back to deduplication, yes obviusly its the VM that manages it, so from its (and yours) POV it's the same as having it managed by the rel machine.

I'm using Hypercore (because it's light and free), but anything can be used (W8/8.1/W10 with the dedup packages added, or a Server flavour 2012/2012R2/2016, with the dedup packages added, if missing), and obviously also any Linux + Opendedup, Freenas, whatever...

As I said the possibilities becomes endless...

Yepp Hypercore has just two roles, fileserver and HyperV, I removed HyperV (not mandatory but this makes the footprint smaller) and added the dedup packages, just use the appropriate ones available here for W10 (or w8 or W8.1, depending the server version you want to use), they are exactly the same as the server packages (they are the server packages).

Yepp thanks.

But ideas and suggestions from other users are always welcome :)

9. hmmurdock

hmmurdock MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2012
  10. jachin99

jachin99 MDL Junior Member

Feb 15, 2016
    I'm looking for this download also. Can anyone host this for me?

11. jachin99

Feb 15, 2016
    Thanks for that file. Is T-S still around these forums or did he get banned at some point? One more thing, does this patch also disable the dashboard?

12. hmmurdock

hmmurdock MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2012
    Not sure about either. I found the file but I haven't had a chance to play around with my WHS build.

13. jachin99

Feb 15, 2016
    I see hyperV in my server roles and the dashboard still starts

14. jachin99

Feb 15, 2016
    I got this up and running for the most part but I installed a win 7 host instead of WHS. My issue now is assigning video ram to the host. I have a budget GPU in the server box but I don't think it supports remoteFX. I don't even see an option to change the video adapter settings without installing remote FAX. Any ideas out there about how to do this? Right now this VM just gives mea PVR via emby and server WMC

15. AXm77

AXm77 MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2011
    I have question: Can Hyper V, in that situation, manage more memory than "Host" Vm?
    WHS 2011 is limited to 8GB, what if I have 16GB on my server, will other VM' s be able to use rest of it?

16. Hector M. Wilde

Hector M. Wilde MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2017
    could someone reupload it?