The new Tamper Protection and piracy

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by mike20599, Jun 28, 2019.

1. mike20599

mike20599 MDL Novice

Dec 28, 2010
    Does the new Windows 10 Tamper Protection thing cause any problems if you're running a pirated copy? Or does it cause any other sorts of problems?

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    No influence noticed by me, not on KMS activated systems, nor on HWID gen. activated systems.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pf100

pf100 MDL Expert

Oct 22, 2010
    As long as you don't use an activation method that isn't a virus or malware, and the copy of windows you're using doesn't contain viruses or malware, there is no difference between a pirated installation of windows and a legally activated version of windows.

4. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    is also for cloud security and app protection

5. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    Except in your wallet :biggrin3: and that wonderful feeling of fu2ms :laie:

6. Jonah Swede

Jonah Swede MDL Novice

Jun 29, 2019
    A real Win 10 license is worth the money IMO. Win 10 is the second OS MS release that got the right to call itself an Operating system :p. (Win 7 is the other).
    For home use, Office is way ..waaaaay overpriced though. And most people dont need more then outlook and MAYBE word.

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Addicted

Mar 15, 2014
    I would not mind using Windows 10 Free with ADs, as it was supposed to be released, I do not even use adblocker. Windows 10 will eventually require and online account, so it will be also subscription based, that will be pretty hard to pirate.

8. pf100

pf100 MDL Expert

Oct 22, 2010
    How can you stand all the ads on webpages? They drive me nuts so I have industrial strength ad blocking. You can't even read an article on half of the web pages because of the floating videos and pop ups.

9. TairikuOkami

Mar 15, 2014
    The problem is finding the right balance, I want to support webpages, but I do not like aggressive ads, so I am using a poper blocker and anti-tracking, which blocks some google tracking ads, I tried privacy badger, but it blocked too much.
    They are not that bothersome and sometimes they are quite useful, suggesting related ADs for me and that can also help me to evaluate, how is anti-tracker protection working / or not. Facebook is pretty much spot on with targeted ads.

Attached Files:

10. Jonah Swede

Jonah Swede MDL Novice

Jun 29, 2019
    While I respect your way to how you like to use windows and not, and that something no one tell you "your way is wrong".

I've gotta ask if you considered the current risk, and future risk with ads?
    The company behind the ads is pretty much 100% safe. That is not the threat. Its the pictures you download, via the ad.
    Several browsers, with Edge being the biggest risk, doesnt have any way to see if the images on a webpage has command code (Microsoft powershell commads), that will execute when you "load" the pics.
    There is nothing wrong with this. Lots of files have, and should have commands that runs with them (this is deep OS stuff).
    The type of "malware" that changes settings, steals passwords etc, are growing like nuts by "hacking" the link to the ad, because those companies doesnt always have the same security as who they pay to have their ad. In fact, I have tested several normal ad links from GOOD, solid sites as: Tomshardware (<---masters of how to use windows and hardware) and download.com (safe site, safe downloads).
    And some ads that was on both these sites, I simply tested "Ad.link.last/.before.com. Put the link in the browser to the ad, but remove the last adress with /, then keep the .com.
    You get the fill file tree, on that ad company site, and can click each dir, where files with code is locked. But all images, are not. You cant replace the pic file, nor save a new version.

But, you can, with a debug tool. see the command line that gets executed when the pic gets loaded. And change that line. and exit debugger.
    Load the same link again. check debugging tool, and whatever you added in the command line....is there.

Not even windows defender have a way to check this. Because this command line changes with alot of things with a pic. Rights, watermark, commands about its size, padding, etc. But all powershell commands can be added.

This is the same for all files that needs a command line in the code.
    I have 3 ad blocker now. before I found out that a normal damn pic.jpg, could be edited and a command like was run, with the same rights as the user, I added to extra ad blockers.
    I dont want ads, but thats my choice. I rather pay a little to not get em.
    But now I need to make sure the browser stops each ad from getting loaded in the browser, and the browser simply dont show it.

I would love if anyone can correct me, update my info, or even got suggestions on browsers with settings or extensions that protects you from this.

For those who dont understand me. Or think I missjudge this since all malware tools and virus killers would act, right?
    Since the pic is not changed. Its the same file even, with added command line commands. The file is not a "newer" file, and the last edited date, is not changed, and the checksum adds up. Compare the 2 files, and they are exactly the same. It is very hard for ALL firewalls to block that file. In fact, they should not. Because the command line changes almost dayly on some webpages. Microsofts own for example. Viruskillers and malware scanners has a challange to identify this, because there is no scanning of the commands. And even if it was, it would be a huuuuuuuuuge number of fake positivs.

I am not an expert in apps, viruses, tools etc. My knownlage is in operating systems and how they really work. Why a firewall dont stop a malware from a site, is because you are the one who "asked" for it, if a command is executed to fetch it. Win 10 is quite secure. This is why "new" ways to "hack" has popped up. Specter and Meltdown for Intel CPU from last year for example.

If I got something wrong, please correct me, but prove it please. There is not concenssus among Technet/Malwarebytes/Microsoft/Google and other ACE at these things.

NOTE: This has nothing to do if you accept ads or not. Thats another discussion.

11. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    You visit a page and within seconds it asks you for feedback. My feedback is simple, 2 words, 4 letters then 3, 2nd word is OFF.

12. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    @TairikuOkami has a tweak that stops unsigned exe's from running. It puzzled me why my stuff didnt run but i went through and found the babble :)

13. TairikuOkami

Mar 15, 2014
  14. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    @Jonah Swede have you ever wondered what "spoiler" code tag is for?