The nightmare of a new ASUS laptop: What to do about Win7 drivers?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by SomeoneTookMyName, Oct 19, 2016.

1. SomeoneTookMyName

SomeoneTookMyName MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2016
    So I just bought a $2500 laptop and am now devastated to discover that there is no Windows 7 support... at all. It honestly never even occurred to me that these asshole companies would stop supporting a (as far as I'm concerned) very relevant OS.

Anyway, I bought a new Asus ROG G752VS-RB71 and I would really like to run Win7 on it as Win10 is a friggen nightmare.

Most of the hardware I'm sure I can get drivers from the manufacturers but what about the ASUS specific stuff like keyboard buttons/lights/touch pad/etc? Is there any chance that the w10 drivers would work on w7 or is there a way to hack them or something?

I'm very interested to hear what you wizards have to say on the matter.

2. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    If they haven't implemented Win7 support into the bios then your stuck with Win10.
    That notebook also ships with a NVMe (PCIe) SSD which isn't natively supported by Win7 anyway (in general, some bios run some type of emulation for win7 to get round it).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Is there any CSM or Secure Boot option in the BIOS/UEFI?
    Are you able to boot a USB/DVD at all?
    Have you updated to the latest BIOS?

The keyboard buttons/lights/touch pad/etc. might be a bit hard to find and its not likely they would be compatible with Windows 10. Can always try it out though.

Last solution would be to contact Asus directly and complain.

4. Oz

Oz MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    I think even an average wizard would have spent 5 minutes on the ASUS support site having a look of what options are available before parting with $2500.

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @OP: Either send it back or deal with Windows 10. That's what the manufacturer is telling you, since they do not offer the apps and drivers for Windows 7.

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  8. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    All you need to do investigate the hardware driver from Win 10 or some kind tools.. IF is base on Intel then you can find driver on Intel website, and also, LAN Driver can be found 3rd party website. Like if ASUS use Realtek driver, then go to Realtek website, and find it. I had successful with newer laptops before. Also have to disable the UEFI on the bios to change to Lency kind and use ACHI mode.. It works fine.. I had worked on Newer ASUS laptop.. Kind lot of work around.

ATGPUD2003

9. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Just setup an MSI "Cubi 2" with win 10 & had a look at the MSI web site to see what drivers I needed.
    It's fairly new & support is only for Win 10. The hardware is basic & I know I already have these drivers for Win 7.
    Guess it's easier for the manufacturer to just support 10 for new products...

10. DukiSync

DukiSync MDL Junior Member

May 12, 2010
    Download this, my recommendation:
    forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/69376-Snappy-Driver-Installer

11. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Microsoft is pushing Windows 10 in every way they can, and that includes their contractual partners. After a certain period, this year's model automobiles disappear from showrooms and you can't buy them any more. Well, you might, but it may take a lot of hunting and researching.

Windows 10 is just not all that bad. Yes it has "spying" issues, but most of those can be mitigated with programs such as Spybot Anti-Beacon and such.

Shortly before the free upgrade offer ended, I upgraded my son's laptop to Windows 10. He's delighted as several fresh installs of Windows 7 (plus a boat load of updates) bogged his machine to a crawl. It's now back to being a pretty quick computer.

Windows 10 has its advantages, maybe you should try it for a while with an open mind. $2,500 spent would tend to make me want to work with it and see what it has to offer.

12. SomeoneTookMyName

Oct 17, 2016
    #12 SomeoneTookMyName, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    (OP)
    A lot of them do but mine only came with a 1TB HDD, no SSD.

Yep, I have both of those options in the BIOS and I've been able to get Win7 to boot from a USB stick and DVD-R but I'm now running into the "need drivers" issue. I'm guessing that's just because I need to inject USB3 drivers but I'm not going to bother tackling that until I know if I can get some further driver support.

No, I haven't updated the bios yet. Should I?

That's kinda what I figured but was thinking maybe the driver config files could be modified to allow installation on Win7 but I'm not sure how different they would be. Maybe that's not an option.

I've already complained to ASUS. I can't believe what a turd Win 10 is :mad:

Clearly I'm not even an average wizard. It honestly didn't even occur to me that they wouldn't be supporting Win7.

Bleh, I might be stuck with Win10. Need the better hardware for work.

Well that's damn good to know! Thanks. I will parrot that in another email to ASUS.

Yeah, like I said, the concern is with the drivers for the buttons/keys/ASUS features, as I'm guessing those are ASUS specific drivers.

13. SomeoneTookMyName

Oct 17, 2016
    That's interesting. Dunno if it'll help, necessarily, but it could be worth a try.

14. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
  15. SomeoneTookMyName

Oct 17, 2016
    Think I'll pop the HDD out and put a spare in and experiment with a Win7 install after contacting XoticPC.
    OK, I'm gonna have to contact them and see what they're doing. I think I saw that side and computer with the Win7 options when I was looking for the computer but ended up ordering from a Kanadian company. Thanks!

Ok, that's interesting. I'll tuck that feather in my cap for later.

16. SomeoneTookMyName

Oct 17, 2016
    Jake at XoticPC says he's going to get back to me. I'm not going to hold my breath but dare to dream...

17. sn00ker

sn00ker MDL Novice

May 21, 2012
    I know when I first try Windows 10 I didn't care for it but after tweaking it to my liken I'm now use 10 more than 7 ... There lots you can do to it and you're probably better off with it IMHO

18. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    I ordered from them, MSI GE Series GE62 Apache Pro-001 for my wife. I didn't call, I did this online, I changed some hardware, added Windows 7 and that is it. IIRC, it took 2-3 weeks to get shipped, though.