The Official Recipe Thread - Share your favorite meal and how to make it...lol

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by timesurfer, Oct 23, 2010.

1. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #1 timesurfer, Oct 23, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
    Hey,

So I thought we all probably got some great dishes to share with each other.

Here is my favorite meal called Tostado's (not a "chalupa" :p...lol)

[​IMG]

1. The tostada shell - You can buy already made shells but I recommend you make them home made style.

a. Put tiny amount of corn oil in pan with low heat then flip over and over til you get crisp tostada shell then make as many as you want and put aside for now​

2. The beans - I recommend "mayo-coba" beans but you can use refried beans in a can also. Another bean almost identical in taste and texture is the "Peruano Beans". However with "mayo-coba" you'll have to cook them your self as they don't come pre-cooked at least in my part of the world

a. First rinse the beans then let them soak for about 3-4 hrs. This helps the gases release. Then cook at low heat until soft not crunchy. I suggest you put them with new pan and a little oil and salt then as they heat up mash them until they are refried.​

3. The toppings - Well there are no rules to toppings you can put on a tostada but here is what I put.

a. Lettuce or cabbage. I prefer a sliced up cabbage​
    b. Cheese. I like the mexican cheese cojita or cheddar but any cheese will do​
    c. Chopped Tomatoes. I like roma tomato's but again do what you like​
    d. avocado​
    e. salsa, hot sauce​
    f. Cilantro​

Also don't forget you can use meats if you like but in general making tostado's is a healthy, quick and easy to make meal that anyone from a vegan to carnivoir can enjoy

Take care and enjoy cooking ;)

2. gamepoint

gamepoint MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2010
    nice thread! i really2 love waffles...does anyone know how to make it? i usually just buy it

3. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Waffles

4. Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel MDL Junior Member

May 6, 2010
    Michelina's Macaroni and Cheese.

[​IMG]

Preperation
    - Remove from freezer
    - Carefuly peal one of the corners as to expose it's content. Warning: DO NOT REMOVE COMPLETLY!
    - Insert into microwave oven.

Cooking
    - Cook for 5 minutes and monitor for any excessive vaporizing. Stop if needed. Microwave ovens may vary.

Enjoy!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #5 timesurfer, Oct 24, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
    (OP)
    lol...Gotta love mac and cheese

Red Squirrel ---> :cheese1:

6. Bosh

Bosh MDL Developer

May 30, 2010
    Also known as chalupas lol :D

7. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #7 timesurfer, Oct 25, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
    (OP)
    I think chalupas are a closer relative of the sope

[​IMG]

Tostado's are thin shell based ususally crispy shell

[​IMG]

8. Bosh

Bosh MDL Developer

May 30, 2010
    #8 Bosh, Oct 25, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
    Here's the fisrt line of the Chalupa's Wiki description:

"A chalupa is a tostada platter in Mexican cuisine"

So yes, what you like is a Mexican Tostada, wich is in fact a Chalupa :D and they're one of my favorite meals too :), lol

9. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #9 timesurfer, Oct 25, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
    (OP)
    lol...Not even close :p Chalupa is thick doughy cup shaped "molded" crust. Much thicker than tostados much closer to sope. Chalupa is actuall much closer to thick doghy taco before it is a tostada:

You quero taco bell bosh :p more info

[​IMG] <--- Actually a sopa but "internet" says chalupa :(...lol

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Chalupa

"It is made by pressing a thin layer of masa dough around the outside of a small mold and then deep frying it to produce a crisp shallow corn cup. It is typically filled with shredded pork meat, a slice of onion, and a piece of chipotle pepper. Although in Americanized form they comprises a taco-like casing filled with ground beef, onion and sour cream."

They only call it "a tostada platter" because it sorta looks like one but is completely different

Even in the tostada wiki no reference to an "chalupa" is even referenced so really it's lack of description that lumps the super delicious tostada with the kinda greasy and not so popular chalupa!

Best pic of "chalupa"

[​IMG] Notice it's "Boat like" shape. That's a "Chalupa"

and direct comparison

[​IMG] One has thick doughy shell like taco bell "chalupa" and the other crisp hard shell like tostada...lol

Actually to be fair I spent a lot of time on the internet seeing what "chalupa's" look like with net pic's so yea it kinda looks the same so really a soft taco, tostada, "chalupa", and sopa are really only distinguished by thickness of shell and crispyness or not of shell. Stuff people put in these "containers/shell type edible vessels" are pretty much the same...lol

lol

10. Bosh

Bosh MDL Developer

May 30, 2010
    LOL, you sure spent a lot of time, but believe me, I'm from latin america (although not mexican), the "shell" they're made varies with the region, in some regions it's made with fried tortilla just as the tostada (that's why I was saying that they're the same), here you can get a more detailed description (but is in spanish :p)

Chalupa (comida)

(what a great topic! :D)

11. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #11 timesurfer, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Translation...lol

Code:
    Chalupa (food)
    The boats are a type of Mexican food consumed on weekends especially at night or typical food during the celebration of Mexico's independence
    In Mexico, can be found in positions of snacks, chaluperías or diner in states like Hidalgo, Puebla, Estado de Mexico, Mexico City, etc.
    [edit]Preparation

Chalupa typical of Pachuca, Hidalgo
    There are different types of boats depending on the region where they are eaten. In central Mexico, the boats are prepared from tortilla, potato, chicken, cheese, green sauce, lettuce, onions and radishes. The tortilla is fried in hot oil or butter, add a little mashed potato, cooked green sauce, finely chopped lettuce, shredded chicken, cheese basket and a small wheel at the end of radish. The boats are generally small and are one of the popular Mexican dishes overnight.
    In southern Iraq the boats are prepared from tortilla, salsa (green or red), onions and meat (beef, chicken or pork). The tortilla is fried in hot oil, then serve 5 on a plate and add the sauce either green or red meat accompanied by shredded beef and a little chopped fresh onion. In Caborca, Sonora are prepared from cabbage, tomato, cheese, cucumber, salsa and chamoy.
    Funny I've noticed that basically in many languages "chalupa" means house or boat whereas "tostada" means toasted or burn't so I think we have a language thing meaning they might be the same but I still think if it has a crispy flat shell it's a tostada and if that shell is kinda thicker and soft you have a "chalupa" but whatever man they both sound yummy :p...lol

12. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #12 timesurfer, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
    (OP)
    BEWARE - This recipe has been transformed from a person who resides on the "dark side" to the recipe here I have to share on the "light side" of the force. So it is safe to eat and make ;) Best to use all organic ingredients to avoid any chance of dark side encounter :starwars:

Beef stroganoff over rice

1. First you brown some very low fat ground beef. (1lb)

2. Then after all the grease has been drained out you add these things to the mix and cook further
    A. Onions preferably white ​
    1/2 onion
    B. Half cup of sour cream about​
    C. And approx a half cup of a can of "cream of chicken soup"​

Then after all that mixes and has cooked little further put over white rice

3. Then serve

Enjoy :eek:

13. lower_nibble

lower_nibble MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2010
    One dish Chicken Delight Serves 2 to 3

4 to 6 chicken tenders
    3 potatoes
    1 small onion
    2 carrots
    1 green bell pepper
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper
    1 tsp garlic salt or powder
    1/2 cup water
    1 stick butter

9x13 glass baking dish

Preheat oven to 450 degrees

Into the glass dish, slice/cut all the veggies into whatever size you like best
    Place the chicken tenders on top of the mixture.
    Add the water.
    Sprinkle the dry ingredients over the mixture.
    Distribute butter slices evenly over the mixture.
    Cover with foil.
    Place in center of oven and let bake for 50 minutes.
    Remove dish from oven and remove the foil.
    Turn oven over to broil and at 500 degrees.
    Place the dish back in the oven for 5 minutes.
    Remove dish from oven.
    Turn the chicken tenders over.
    Place dish back in oven for another 5 minutes, or until the chicken
    begins to brown.
    Remove the dish from the oven and let it cool enough to eat.

I like this. Simple to make, tastes great and only dirties up one dish.

14. cynarch

cynarch MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2010
    This thread makes me hungry :D

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Mark_xD

Mark_xD MDL Novice

Apr 2, 2011
    Well, just tried out a recipie I saw someday on tv, can't say it's actually the same
    but it should be similar though. And if ;) it tastes pretty good to me.

Tangy chicken with ranch dressing
    Erm, let's see.. Ingredients:

-2/3 cup Ranch dressing or any other similar dressing,
    -1/3 cup Yellow Mustard (Earlier in the Philippines I prefered "FRENCH'S Classic Yellw Mustard..
    Here in Germany I took "Gut und Günstig Delikatess Senf")
    -3 tablespoons brown sugar
    -4 to 6 chicken breasts, the decision is yours.

-It's easier to mix the salad dressing with mustard and sugar first.

-Now heat up 1-2 tablespoon oil in nonstick skillet, I prefer a bit above medium.
    Cook chicken until it's browned on both sides. ~8-10mins..

-Now stir what you mixed before into skillet, cook and stir 'bout 3mins so the
    flavors blend and chicken is glazed. Tastes a 'bit like honey mustard sauce :)

And Voilà, ready to eat. Bon appétit.

16. sandyv

sandyv MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2011
    Beef Short Ribs:

Everybody seems to just rave about them!

Approx. 2 - 3 lbs of Beef Ribs
    2 tbsps. Worcheshire Sauce
    One 16 oz Tomato Sauce
    3 cloves chopped Garlic
    1 medium onion, Diced

Combine all in medium roasting dish or casserole dish. Cook at 350 degrees for approximately 90 minutes covered with foil.

Cook rice of choice, Basmati or Jasmine Rice is Great!

Serve to person (or persons) you wish to seduce (include bottle of wine) ... my personal favourite is a ton of beer!

Oh Yes, play some music you all enjoy for sure!

Cheers!

Sandy

17. paul3200

paul3200 Guest

#17 paul3200, May 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2011
    BEANS ON TOAST

take beans out of tin put in microwave for 3 mins(ish)
    UPDATE
    ****if you are suicidal then you can keep the beans in the tin and put it on the gas hob****
    put bread in toaster
    pour beans on toast

:)

18. sandyv

sandyv MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2011
    LOL Paul, the Queen apparently even eats this for breakfast I hear, (but of course that lady doesn't fart right?).

I too love beans on toast, comfort food at its finest!

:worthy:

19. lcdth

lcdth MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2011
    "Green" Pizza

• Muzzarella
    • Cherry tomato
    • Fresh basil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    whatever happened to this thread??
    what a good idea, especially this time of year..........
    i shall have to spend a week of evenings in the kitchen.......