The printer HP deskjet 3900 is on but it shows as offline. I could not make it online

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jraju, Apr 8, 2013.

1. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Hi, I was using the printer when i was in xp. But when i switched on to windows 7, the printer even it is on, it shows printer offline in the status bar. The diagnostic tool also report that printer is off Turn it on. But i could not turn it on. Please help

I was taking copies for the past few days in the same system, ie. windows 7.
    Online connection to HP site also does not solve, as it says that there is no separate download for this obselete 3900 series. Should i have to throw the printer away?

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    What is device id of the printer?? There should a driver available only through Windows Update.

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  5. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Use windows update for device.. if still failed to find, you could try drivers of 39XX series like 3920, 3915, 3910 or something like that....

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Pisthai, Will try and report the progress. How to know the window updates that will cure this problem. HP customer care has no help to offer.The sysem first of all not allowing the xp hp software cd on my windows 7 computer. It says the software is meant for xp machines. Installed all updates . some failed updates also. I have any how downloaded the xp software. Even windows updates show that usb port suppport drivers for using have been rightly installed. But sometime it prints 2 pages when you give a 10 pages. If the problem is hardware then nothing should get printed. Thanks for all of your advice. How to kinow that which update is solving this issue. All updates are mostly marked windows 7 updates. Only recently , i switched to windows 7

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The service from HP isn't good at all (in Thailand!)

Follow exactly my advice above and it should work.

It's possible that your USB cable are not good enough. We use shielded USB Cable only if the cables are longer than 1 to 1.5m. Also check the USB ports itself, change the connection to a different port.

9. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    ive had to delete driver of xp in vista back in day in the spooler folder so it would let me install new driver.. have to unplug usb while installing

10. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    #10 jraju, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
    (OP)
    Hi, Pisthai, should i uninstall the already installed printer Moreover, when downloaded from the link, it shows compatiblility as windows sp1 and 2 and not as plain windows xp as per your idea in the thread. Pl

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Uninstall the old driver first. Use to set the compatibility mode maybe to XP SP1. Install the new driver with NOT connected printer! If the setup ask for to connect and On the printer do so. Otherwise wait for the install finish, connect ans switch the printer on.

Windows should now show to install new driver.

If that didn't work, check the USB Cable and also change the ports.

12. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Hi, I am still expecting answer from you, as there is no windows xp plain. It is in sp1 or sp2. Should i select sp1and try.

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Check both! Start with SP1!

14. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    #14 jraju, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
    (OP)
    Hi, Tito, sir, your advice is the solution to the problem. Windows updates automatically updates the 2 files , printer and usb port support file to your system. But since i tried to run thro the cd, there was automatically loaded file, in the aborted process in the spool directory. There i deleted the contents of the w32x86 folder, but not the folder. The spool folder is located in windows\system 32 folder.Once that is done, I deleted the printer device properly and rebooted the system. Then went to the printer and faxes folder , click add printer and allowed windows to automatically find the updates. Then the problem solved. If it is first installation of printer, then TITO's would have solved the problem long back.

the link for total uninstall and all
    h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Software-Drivers-e-g-Windows-8/Unable-to-install-HP8500-drivers/m-p/251037#M11640 please add http before

15. Billou

Billou MDL Novice

Apr 19, 2013
    Setup of HP Printer

Hi,

I subscribed to give an other clue : you'll find a scrubber on HP site that helps cleaning the previous HP drivers, then you'll set up the updated ones. I did this for a friend of mine who couldn't have his Office HP printer working.

HTH

16. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Hi, what is the name of the scrubber? I found only windows cleaning tool in the link i posted. But it is no longer available. Now my printer works better than it initially prints, fast and speed. I suppose, when you install after installing hp thro add and remove in xp, there were folders already created in the earlier process which is clashing with the new processes in the same folder. Now i have removed the contents of spool folder, then the solution is easy. thank you billou

17. tnmysoft

tnmysoft MDL Novice

Apr 12, 2012
    Update your drivers trough windows update

If still problem persists change the cartridges

My Deskjet 3920 works well in Win8 too(used in xp,win7 too)

18. jraju

jraju MDL Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Hi , tnmysoft, i had already updated the drivers. The problem is , since i had the cd provided at the time of installation of xp, it has installed halfway thro the process and showed an error. Those installed files include, i suppose, files in spool folder, which i mentioned in my previous posts in this thread. Thank you.