The quest for touchpad drivers

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by adrian2055, Sep 25, 2016.

1. adrian2055

adrian2055 MDL Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Hello everyone,

After buying an ASUS G752VL laptop and cleansing the hdd of the horror that is windows 10 I have stumbled upon an issue. I cannot seem to locate the touchpad driver. ASUS only provides windows 10 drivers on their site. This is the info that device manager gives me:

ACPI\ELAN1000
    *ELAN1000

Could someone help me locate this driver for win7 pro 64-bit? Thanks

2. adrian2055

adrian2055 MDL Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Thanks! I will try it.

3. ElDiabl0

ElDiabl0 MDL Junior Member

May 31, 2011
    IF it's a precision I2C touchpad you should begin by looking in your Bios if it has an option to change it to a regular ps2 touchpad. Some Acer laptops have that option, not sure about Asus. Then you're going to have to find an elantech or asus smart gesture driver that work with it.

4. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2011
    you can use Driver Easy to find the most updated driver.

5. adrian2055

adrian2055 MDL Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Thank You!!! Driver Easy found the updated driver!

6. adrian2055

adrian2055 MDL Member

Apr 21, 2010
    @compstuff: Just a logitech usb controller and my ext drive. The issue is fixed now.

7. pati

pati MDL Novice

May 13, 2015
    #10 pati, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    @adrian2055:
    Please, adrian2055, could you tell me which Serial IO drivers for Windows 7 x64 you used?
    Because I tried with the ones provided by Intel and by Lenovo, and I couldn't even reach the point of having what you had in your Device manager (i.e. an "Intel(R) Serial IO Multi-touch Miniport Driver")! I either had an Unknown Device - Manufacturer: "Unknown" (not "Intel" as you had) or (after trying LOTS of Asus and non-Asus drivers for this stupid Touchpad!) variousl "Touchpad"-something names used to appear, all yellow-banged, and all with Code 12...
    Is your platform a Skylake?
    What Chipset do you have?
    Do you use the Asus ATK Package or something else?
    My laptop is an Asus ROG GL752VW (close enough, is it) with a HM170 Chipset. The Processor is identical to yours. 8 GB on RAM. The nightmarish Touchpad is also an ACPI\ELAN1000, and it is also indicated as being located on the Intel(R) Serial IO I2C Host Controller - A161. OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (with SP1u "Media Refresh").
    If you could be so kind and detail a bit about what steps (and in which order) you had taken to obtain that "Intel(R) Serial IO Multi-touch Miniport Driver" in Device Manager, I would be extremely grateful!
    Pati

8. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Sort of off topic, but I will never again buy any device with an Elan touchpad ever again. I made that mistake once on an Acer netbook I bought a little over a year ago. After trying a million different drivers with different OS's (7, XP, 10, Linux with various DE's; I found that Windows 10 with a certain specific driver worked good enough to make it usable, and Kubuntu with, obviously, KDE, made it usable with Linux although not as good as Windows 10 with a specific driver that took forever to figure out. And I hate Kubuntu. That was a lot of time of my life I'd like to have back but I learned a valuable lesson: Elan touchpads are crap and will only bring you pain. Next laptop or netbook I buy I'll only buy it under the stipulation that it doesn't have an Elan touchpad and will go out of my way to make sure it doesn't. It's like Elan and the OEM's don't care. I don't see how they get away with it. They must be saving the OEM's a dollar or two to use them is the only thing I can figure. Any design engineer that tries these touchpads has to know they're nearly unusable. I really don't get it. And if anyone says. "But mine works fine!", you are the exception. Google Elan touchpad problems. It's an epidemic.