The quickest way to install any Windows

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by fakowski, Aug 8, 2010.

1. fakowski

fakowski MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2009
    In these days recovery CD's are not supplied by any manufacturer. Can someone direct me to the right direction?

What would be the quickest way to put back WinXP, Vista or 7 in original machines and laptops?

IMHO ghosting would the quick way in case of XP but I would have to make it or find somewhere XP CD with all OEM details and files for most makes like Dell or Toshiba.

What about Vista and 7?

Any hints or... better... links perhaps?

Trying to get back into this game.

Thanks in advance!

2. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    What do you mean with "Can someone direct me to the right direction?" ?

What do you want? Install xp/vista/7 ? Just downloa, burn and install?

What? "What about Vista and 7"?

3. fakowski

fakowski MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2009
    What I mean... there must be much a quicker way do reinstall Windows than just put CD with an original CD. One way is using Ghost from HDD. I've use once XP from an image and it worked well, but I didn't like the setup - to much rubbish loaded and cracked programs.

Having few ghosted images for some laptops, installed through USB would be ideal and quick way.

If there is a possibility ghosting Vista and 7 in a similar way, that would be great way to install any Windoze. One fast way is to have Vista or 7 on HDD and install it through USB port.

Any links to web sites talking about such topics or any good advice would be very welcome! :D

4. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Use a genuin cd and you wont have the rubbish and cracked programs..

Install using USB and use unattended setup and sysprep?

5. CRA2YHAVOK

CRA2YHAVOK MDL Senior Member

Oct 23, 2009
    #5 CRA2YHAVOK, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
    I use Paragon Drive Backup (Free Edition), all I do is install Windows then get everything how I like it, settings, download all available updates & software etc.

Then back it up, I usually backup to my 2nd partition but I think you can also use a USB or DVD depending on size of the image at the end.

Then if I ever need to reinstall all I need to do is pop in the recovery disc or USB (best option) and restore the image.

Overall it takes me about 10mins to do a recovery, beats having to use the Windows dvd everytime & then get all your drivers & updates.

Never ran into a single problem using it, works great for netbooks too.

(NOTE: Once you create a bootable recovery media (CD or USB) you never need to install the software again, well not unless your recovery media corrupts or something, which has never happened to me).

6. fakowski

fakowski MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2009
    That's a great idea. When you have done all ready an installation and when a trouble starts, than you have a copy of your original setup.

But when you go to a client home who has Windoze in mess and he doesn't have CD because he was to stupid to burn his backup OS, than is very messy. So many flavors, versions etc.

Would be good to have one CD with all or most laptop drivers and install it from one source in 5 minutes, put serial on, activate, all legit, everybody happy. I have seen here someone was making XP with most drivers for laptops.

Paragon seems to be a very good program. Will take a good look!

Some serious rewards. Thanks for that.

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #7 urie, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
    For one thing don't listen to what other members have said you cannot just take an image from one machine via ghost, acronis e.c.t it wont work, well in saying that you can do what they call bare metal imaging you can install the OS via an image but it obviously can not be registered on more than one machine unless maybe OEM SLP start reading the forum on activation methods

8. sushil1576

sushil1576 MDL Senior Member

Jul 3, 2009
    In windows 7 it is very easy to use a ghost image for intalling on multiple computers..just use a sysprepped ghost image so that as soon as the image is restored on the target pc,the windows 7 automatucally checks for the drivers and installs them automatically and those drivers which are not there you can manually install them later...As far as activation u can use 'Daz's loader' or any other of your favourite activators out there..

9. sushil1576

sushil1576 MDL Senior Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Regarding Windows xp,it is also possible to create a universal ghost image of xp which you can use on multiple computers..but it requires few more additionals tools and steps..but it is possible and i have created such an image for xp..

10. blackranger

blackranger MDL Senior Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Hey why do you say so.. can explain much more further? I don't understand why he cannot simply take an image of the whole drive and burn it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You can if you are just restoring back to same computer, but if restoring to another computer you need to sysprep and unless it is same brand OEM:SLP it will not be activated then you also need drivers for different machine.

12. blackranger

blackranger MDL Senior Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Oh I see your talking about licensing. But actually how does ghosting works? After imaging the whole drive (C: ) and then format it, how to restore the whole system to C:?
    I mean what can you do after inserting the recovery disk. Is there an option like "Restore the drive"?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I haven't used ghost for years, but when i did you could make a floppy image with scripts to automatically restore image from cd to partition of just c:\ drive every imaging program is different. Try searching with google you can download manuals from company websites like acronis norton e.c.t

14. fakowski

fakowski MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2009
    So far I have found in my library that I have "Vista All" marked DVD, most likely d/loaded from here, and I have use it to install Vista Home Premium on a client laptop Toshiba and at some stage Vista had displayed a cmd screen, showing me a choice of 30 different makers of computers. I've selected Toshiba and an installation went like a charmed.

Vista was activated and works with updates etc. BINGO! Client has legal Windows.

Where can I get a Win 7 with setup like that?

Sysprep is a pain and useless IMHO. I'm not using a mass production.

If I will have that Vista on my HDD and install it from HDD connected via USB, just brilliant!

Quick and great... who needs a ghost. Drivers can be loaded later and would be a great idea to make a ghost image in case my client will come back with some another virus or other drama.

All would be needed - 3 small hdd's (10Gb) with XP all versions and laptops files, Vista and Win 7 as well. Any machine, just connect via USB!

3 DVD's are still an good option.

The key to speed is all versions of one OS on one DVD!

Even better... use SSD drives, but so far to pricey! :rolleyes:

15. Kido

Kido MDL Junior Member

Oct 2, 2011
    According to me, Just remove useless components like windows defender and old drivers. Windows Vista used to install under 67 minutes on system with about 347 updates. But removing all those damn components like i mentioned before, windows got installed just 45 minutes :eek:! So i gave you the hint now it depend on you what do u wanna do :p Any other info if need just throw an inbox.