the reasons why you use windows 7 and not linux

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pierrejaquet, Mar 17, 2011.

1. pierrejaquet

pierrejaquet MDL Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Hello bright minds of mdl :hug2:

I was just wondering why you use windows 7 and not linux

Please contribute and tell us your reasons.

here are my reasons:

-Windows games ( WineHQ failed :D )

-Klite mega codec pack with media player classic

:SmallAwesomeSmiley:

2. Oery

Oery MDL Junior Member

Nov 14, 2010
    +1
    Games :biggrin:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Trinket

Trinket MDL Senior Member

Feb 20, 2010
    I have found Windows much less counter-intuitive than Linux when I first tried it, and I still do find it that way :)

Every time in Linux I feel: Why on EARTH can't they just do it the 'normal' way??? lol

Oh yeah... everything I like in Windows is either an adjustment or I have to abandon in Linux... and I don't see anything better to take its place...

I am not impressed by all the free app suites, although I respect the effort

Linux boys have not fully admitted to themselves why Windows has been so successful, and why people like using it...

And if the Linux boys were truly so concerned about people switching over, they would surely make a Windows interface over it to ease the transaction...

Raise your hand if you wiped your entire win based drive when you first wanted to install Linux on your HDD but wanted to keep your stuff... and then lost everything :) (contributing to some hate, yes)

For some (small but annoying group), Linux is the next logical step when owning a Mac doesn't make them special enough anymore... but you still want to be all cool and wish your semi-retro clean sparkly fonts were actually objects you could place on your IKEA table... all the while not knowing that some people would love to wrap you up in an app and send you off into space...

general lack of experience resulting in prejudiced opinions about Linux that, however, keep sticking so easily... yet if you want to dispel your own Linux myths, all you have to do is install it yet again and then remember these aren't myths, these are reality and you've just proven to yourself you're a person of so much good faith...

4. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 MDL Member

May 5, 2010
    I use a number of programs (not games) that are Windows only. A good example is mapping software. Nothing in the Linux world to compare with Streets and Trips or Street Atlas USA. This does not stop me from using Linux for other purposes (it is great for safer web surfing). I have both the desktop and laptop setup to dual boot and choose the OS best suited for the task I need to perform.

5. 1619415

1619415 MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2015
    Because I have a iPhone and need iTunes and Taig Jailbreak

6. manix

manix MDL Junior Member

Aug 18, 2012
    No fully functional drivers for a lot of my hardware.

7. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. KrAzY

KrAzY MDL Novice

Mar 6, 2010
    Because with windows i can do something in a few moments with 1-2 steps that with linux takes 20 steps to do if you can even figure it out without googling it on a windows pc anyway, Everyone says that people are just ignorant to learn linux but i don't think this is the case i think most people are intelligent enough but have a life and can't spend 3 hours installing something that takes 2 minutes on windows. I have a life other then living in my parents basement deciphering linux operating procedures for every little thing. Anyone "could" use linux if it was as easy to use as windows but lets be honest it just isn't and even if your a linux guru it doesn't change the fact that it still takes 10 times the work to get something installed and working compared to windows. So hey if you want to brag how smart you are because you can run linux congrats! Maybe some one will give you a cookie for your efforts but until it is a mainstream user friendly OS it will never trump MS. And i am not stating my opinion without being a avid linux user in the past, I can say linux can be a great OS! But my time is money and linux isn't paying me to take 10 steps longer to do something. I truly hope some day linux does go mainstream over MS.

9. L1quid

L1quid MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2015
    Wow...This is why Windows / Microsoft is able to take your data.

How could you be a computer fan if you don't know the basics? Linux has a crossover app that allows you to run windows applications.

Maybe start there. I'd hate to hear someone complain about linux....it's faster, more options are given to you. Guess what? You can control your data being sent in and out.

As a coder, I have complete control over linux/windows. I do not have any control over windows 8 or windows 10. Windows 10 specifically.

Kernel level whitelists/hacks are not possible at this point in time.

Use Windows 7 because it's not a information giver. It's a reliable, fast, gaming w/ many apps Operating System. Use linux if your more into the data side of things. (IT Departments)

10. hearywarlot

hearywarlot MDL Member

Jul 31, 2015
    #10 hearywarlot, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Just wrote a post in this thread with some reasons and arguments people could use to make a choice:
    Code:
    http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/65157-linux-vs-windows-vs-mac?p=1141729&viewfull=1#post1141729
    I usually choose Arch with Cinnamon because:

• Is Bleeding edge rolling release and keeps to the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid) which means to not use GUI to config things and do directly as intended from CLI and plain files.
    • I want to know why a software works and how incase i want to edit or fix a problem.
    • I like the slickness and speed of Cinnamon as DE.
    I have installed Windows 8.1 incase i need a certain Windows based software to work, write Batch/VBScript scripts for people or Remaster Windows using 'MSMG Toolkit' and 'ESD2WIM-WIM2ESD-dism'.

11. mabaega

mabaega MDL Senior Member

Dec 30, 2010
    - Easier to use
    - Better pictures
    most importantly , I get what I want from there ... :biggrin:

For privacy ,
    I believe microsoft as I believe in my country ,
    as I believe the bank that manages my money...
    there was nothing to fear..

12. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014

:roflmao:

So they finally made La La Land a official country :)

13. eyecheck

eyecheck MDL Junior Member

Jul 15, 2015
    I'd like to answer the OP but I can't.

I use linux over windows 7 because .. M$ gave me what I wanted. Linux gave me what I needed.

14. camilojcock

camilojcock MDL Novice

Feb 12, 2015
    1. CSGO
    2. It works

15. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    I actually use a lot of OSs. My everyday diver is Slackware, but I also use FreeBSD, Kali (v1.1.0), Tails, Ipredia, Zorin and least of all Windows 7. There are more that I play with from time to time, and even more that I test every time there is a new release. But just because my main OS is a Linux distro doesn't mean that I'm not fluent in Windows and that I don't keep up with what's going on with it. I do have other computers that I have to maintain and friends that use Windows that are always asking for help or pointers.

Times have changed, I have used Windows and Linux for about 16 years and times are still changing. More people are waking up to the idea of Linux as a desktop OS, as it is becoming a more viable option with the advancements that Linux has made in the last 15 or so years. I remember having to compile everything from source, from the base system right through to the DE. It would take days on a 56k or a v90 dial-up modem and a 700Mhz processor. By the time you finished there would be updates that needed to be downloaded and compiled. :kick:

So I still use Windows 7 to kind of keep sort of sharp on the Windows platform, and I do enjoy 1 specific option that is in MPC-HC that is not in any Linux based media player (that I know of), After Playback -> Play next file in the folder. If VLC had that option I would have a Linux rig as my HTPC (and one less Windows PC in my house :)).

16. Lary_the_0

Lary_the_0 MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2014
  17. 12v2a

12v2a MDL Novice

Jun 4, 2014
    I think both os are equal to use. On Linux you have the choice of many windowmanagers. Linux can be very slim and can run on nearly every hardware. Windows requires more ressources, so it mainly runs on newer hardware.

18. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    I think that setting up Windows 7 and Linux as dual-boot is the best way to go. You get the best of both worlds.

19. Rearis

Rearis MDL Member

Nov 29, 2014
    #19 Rearis, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    Everything free is crap, trash (few exceptions).

Windows is paid software, so... better.

20. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #20 Skaendo, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015

Wow, just wow.

Following this logic, Windows 10 is trash as well.