The safest way to jailbreak a LOCKED iphone 3G to 3.1

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by tomchook, Oct 3, 2009.

1. tomchook

tomchook MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2008
    #1 tomchook, Oct 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Hello,
    I just bought from a friend his iphone 3G. It is locked to his network (t-mobile), and currently his version is 3.0 (7A341).

I read guides and threads about how to upgrade, jailbreak and unlock it, and it seems that eventually most people find themselves without signal (iphone turned into ipod..)

I know I shouldn't upgrade to 3.1 directly from itunes, but download ispw file which is 3.1 for 3G. I got it from:

Code:
    sizlopedia

(please just delete that code if it's illegal to post it, and not my whole post)
    I know that then I should use itunes 9 (I have 9.0.1), hold shift while clicking restore, and choose that ipsw file.

As far as I understand, I don't need redsn0w because that file is already jailbreaked, and then only thing I need is to download from cydia ultrasn0w.

Is that is? It sounds quite simple... It won't upgrade my baseband/modem? Why so many people brick their iphone? How will I make sure it won't happen to me?

I would really appreciate your help, and especially if someone already did it and can comment if everything is working correctly for him.

Thanks!

Tom

2. lotto

lotto MDL Novice

Jan 7, 2008
    There is one rule that you must never update or restore firmware comes directly from Apple. :)

If you need to upgrade or restore 3.1.x firmware version, make sure you use the custom create firmware which bypass baseband upgrade. Press shift key with click on upgrade or restore then select the custom create firmware like you said is the right choice.

BTW, please find the custom create firmware in trustable source (like modmyi)

3. kickboxer85

kickboxer85 MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2009
    Blackra1n

Blackra1n is easy. Download and run it.

4. vladxed666

vladxed666 MDL Senior Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Blackra1n is the one we used for 3 iphones one after another... worked for us flawlessly...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. recompiler

recompiler MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2009
    ThankX..............