The search engines and the results

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mdlgaofei, Jun 9, 2016.

1. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    We use search engines to find something interesting(or useful or others).[​IMG][​IMG]
    A part of the results include the special char "-" "|". What does the char "-""|" and others mean?

I think it relates to the question "How to find an official website without the notes which the search engines have shown"

2. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    What's the matter?Why not reply to me?
    Do you know how to find an official site without the mark?

3. aventador

aventador MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2016
    just don't understand your meaning

4. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    #4 mdlgaofei, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    (OP)
    One meaning: look at the image.The search results include the symbol "-" "|" and others.What does the symbol mean?
    The other meaning: sometimes, there's a mark clings a search result.The mark is pointing to the official site. How to find an official site without some notifications?

5. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
  6. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    www.duckduckgo.com/traffic.html
    The number 365 at the bottom left seems to define the precision. If I change the number be 1, the precision seems to be most accurate.

7. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Would you believe I've never noticed the marks you mention? And judging by the lack of answers, I may not be the only one.

That's probably because we usually have other priorities while searching, like formatting the request to get what we want and in the first results, getting uncensored results, etc. But those marks may be somehow related to the efficiency of searching.

8. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    #8 mdlgaofei, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    (OP)
    DuckDuckGo cannot differentiate similar languages(such as Chinese and Japanese). Sometimes DuckDuckGo shows you unwanted results coz the similar languages (even if you filter by region.)

9. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    DuckDuckGo is only good if you don't want your searching monitored, and even then there's no guarantee what they do.

Better try Microsoft's bing.com.

10. mdlgaofei

mdlgaofei MDL Member

Dec 2, 2015
    DuckDuckGo has been blocked in China. You have to use a VPN or sth. like that to access DuckDuckGo.

11. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    This kind of speaks in favor DuckDuckGo. It seems it does prevent monitoring.