the secret is out Media Center Key Accidentally Gives Pirates Free Windows 8 Pro Lice

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by binded, Nov 21, 2012.

1. binded

binded MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2009
    Media Center Key Accidentally Gives Pirates Free Windows 8 Pro License
    replace xx

hxxp://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/11/21/1527205/media-center-key-accidentally-gives-pirates-free-windows-8-pro-license

hxxp://wxx.extremetech.com/computing/141052-microsoft-accidentally-gifts-pirates-with-a-free-windows-8-pro-license- key

it was only a matter of time

2. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    #2 Josh Cell, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
    Microsoft knew it from the start of this promo, don't worry. :rasta:

All activation engineering has been studied to allow this fail. 'Unfortunately', the upgrade advisor and the anytime upgrade doesn't validate the license online and also doesn't check if it's limited or have any grace period...

The Microsoft really want to give us a xmas gift, anyone can request Media Center keys without entering your PRO key...

But for sell the upgrade keys if you've bought your computer on the terms for upgrading from 7 to 8, is needed so many informations including your name, shop, model and the product key.

'The marketing is the first thing we must do.' - Only activatable to January 31 of 2013, after millions of keys distributed and sold around the world. :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. shioktv

shioktv MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2009
    Micr0sos is bleeding with so few takers for Windows 8.

And that they are seeking some help from pirates by giving out free WMC keys to boost up take up rate for Windows 8 and activations.

:p :p

-----------------------------
    Android OS is the future.

4. Windows Fan

Windows Fan MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2012
    thats a clever decision from microsoft. it will increase windows 8 download rate and usage rate and they will be able to announce high usage rate of windows 8 in future.

5. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Microsoft never counted pirated Windows copys towards their report, sometimes you can even hear one of them joking about Pirates and stuff :)
    Reported Numbers are all bought/legit copys, the WMC upgrade can't basicly even count towards it as you need a legit pro in the first place, so WMC is probably not going to be counted in as well but only Retail, Upgrade offer and OEM.
    There are over 500 million legit windows 7 copys out there which does not count in the pirated numbers wich should be quite low compared, there is quite a chance that Windows 7 has below 1-2 million pirated copys, because lets face it, hardly anyone really knows how things work.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Cute, isn´t it. Btw, like my Win 8 Pro WMC :D.

7. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Windows 8 is going to end up with a million more activated copies than it sold, meanwhile Sinofsky will be drinking Tequila in Baja.

8. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    #8 Atari800XL, Nov 21, 2012
    Lice.gif
    Look at how the topic title is displayed on my system, watch that last word :annoyed:
    I'm sure Microsoft would give all the Pirates Lice, if they got the chance :rolleyes:

9. binded

binded MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2009
    lol it got cut off for what ever reason might of been to long for the topic its still funny though LOL

10. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Thanks for pointing on a good joke, thread is indeed named that way. Have to check my hair now...who knows what they did :cool2:.

11. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    #11 Atari800XL, Nov 21, 2012
    s1ave77, you especially should watch out for these Lice. Being the dog you are, you'd better remember that these ain't no ordinary lice, but Pro Lice!!!
    Well, it's as Aerosmith already said in the 70s: Sometimes you gotta scratch that itch!! :uvdns:
    Now back on topic...

12. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    What topic? He only was informing us how far this joke went till now. All started with a nice joke and then sharing it at the right place. Btw, my fur is perfectly cherished, but it should itch at MS side, i guess :D.

13. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    MS knew about this since day 1. This is money hungry MS we are talking about. If Windows 8 was flying off the shelves and the sales was massive. This loop hole would have been closed a long time ago. Now, they just want people to try it out and use Windows 8 any way they can. The OS was a failed launch. I would say 90%-95% are extremely happy with 7 and will not move onto 8. They will wait for 9. I personally like 8 and moved to it from 7. But, I can certainly understand why 7 will be held onto. Unlike XP that needs to just go away now. So, many are still holding onto XP its scary. They wont even move to 7. And do you really think they will move to 8? Hell no. They will wait until 9.

14. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
  15. Hackeur

Hackeur MDL Senior Member

Jun 14, 2009
    I think M$ hidden agenda is to get as many Windows 8 users as possible regardless of their "Pirate" status or not.

They are banking on us "Pirates" to promote the OS to friends, family, work mates etc... so that Windows 8 gains a market foothold through a strong user base. It is no accident!! Let's not forget that all these "activated" installations have access to the Windows Store which is the goose with the golden eggs for M$ :D :D

16. slyfox30

slyfox30 MDL Member

Mar 8, 2012
    Why dont you keep / well to be blunt STFU... All you ppl that complain about and report Whats being done on this site only to make it more a problem .MS I bet loves this site and ppl pointing out the more out front. tricks and problems.lets link to websites that well make us out front. Maybe im wrong.Maybe MDL likes the Drama?who knows

17. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Years ago an former CEO from Autodesk was explaining in an Interview, that Autodesk need the pirate user's for to get relevant infos about bug and other problems with their Apps. The costing factor for to run the same an an internal research would be much to high and would need to much time so they wouldn't able to release a new version in an timely manner.

The same will be for most other Developer Companies which includes Microsoft as well.

18. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    Indeed, that is why many above average "pirates" have jobs lol

19. Hackeur

Hackeur MDL Senior Member

Jun 14, 2009
    how did Adobe get that big with a minuscule marketing budget years ago? :D :D :D

20. binded

binded MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2009