The start menu tile "grid"

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by rewar, Jul 18, 2015.

1. rewar

rewar MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2014
    Right now my start menu looks like crap...I would like to know if anyone has learned how to edit the minimum "grid" size for tiles and while we are at it if anyone has found a way to get rid of the sorting titles in the all apps menu? hxxp://i.imgur.com/G9BIVuw.png

2. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    theirs a thread here some were of how to tweak it....if i find it ill post the link.

3. rewar

rewar MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2014
    please this is driving me insane

4. raiden89

raiden89 MDL Junior Member

Mar 4, 2009
    You should considering doing a reset. The reason you have that & stuff on the left is because you upgraded from an older build that also had that stuff. If you reset, it will clean it up.

5. rewar

rewar MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2014
    I have not tried a reset so that's on my to-do list now. However mobocratic dragging the menu itself left or right resizes only in multiples of 4 large/medium tiles I'm hoping the reset also fixes this. Some people want the 4 grid I only really need/want 2 but I would settle for 3 there is just no setting I can find that changes this.

6. coromonadalix

coromonadalix MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    would have been nice to be able to resize thoses damn icons ...

7. rewar

rewar MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2014
    I agree, the lack of settings for the start menu makes it feel unfinished and this is the supposed rtm build...

8. rewar

rewar MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2014
    #10 rewar, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
    (OP)
    I'm not saying I don't believe you or anything, but what I am saying is that on my box the menu grid only resizes in multiples of 4. No amount of resizing gets me anything smaller than the pic. hxxp://rewar.imgur.com/all/ Also just out of curiosity what resolution are you running?

9. sesnut

sesnut MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    you don't have to reset; you can just uninstall them

10. Mobocratic Asylum

Mobocratic Asylum MDL Member

Mar 22, 2010
    1680 x 1050 on Westinghouse LCM-22w3.

11. pauldamo

pauldamo MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009

12. maya77

maya77 MDL Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Start in Windows 10 is awesome.

It's easy to use, nice looking, adjustable, resizeable...

You only need to stop being brat and be noted that clean install is always good choice.

13. AtomR

AtomR MDL Member

Oct 22, 2013
    LMAO, Really? I think, you haven't used W10 as daily driver yet. Do you know, it's a pain in a$$ to scroll in alphabetical categorized 'All Apps' in Start menu. Do you know, you can't right-click a folder in 'All Apps' start menu. You can't even pin to left side of it. They ruined the start menu, when they moved from DUI to XAML. W10 build 9841 had superior start menu in terms of functionality & performance.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    For all i know, there is nothing "easy" to change to get the column width one might want.

StartMenu data is saved in %localappdata%\TileDataLayer, there is still something called DefaultLayouts.xml and LayoutModification.xml but they both don't quite work and in StartUI.dll which is loaded by ShellExperienceHost.exe has references for the start columns.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. xomniversex

xomniversex MDL Member

Sep 20, 2012
    #17 xomniversex, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
    The XAML jumplists are also trash. If you pin 10 items in notepad and other programs I'm sure - it will no longer show any recent items in the jumplist and you can't pin any more items regardless of screen resolution. Windows 10 also doesn't honor the "Number of recent items to display" jumplist registry setting. Hard limit of 10 total for pinned and recent.

XAML is minimalist garbage. A complete slap in the face for power users.

16. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    There is nothing about XAML that's "minimalist", it's not the fault of XAML that the new jumplist is the way it is.

17. rewar

rewar MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2014
    I remember reading that the 4 grid layout is a left over from previous builds, I'm just curious as to why MS hasn't figured out how to fix or implement a way to edit this so called grid. Some people prefer the 3 grid layout, others want to go back to the 4 grid, I would be immensely satisfied with just 2. The clutter in the all apps menu is a problem to begin with, I cannot even begin to perceive how MS thought adding needless entries would make this better. There's nothing bratty about wanting more customization, specially when previous builds had a start menu that worked great, nothing tells you more as a company that you have a problem more than having to install a 3rd party app (ClassicShell user since win7) to replace a major feature, that replaces a failed feature(win8 startscreen). This is like some new kind of wtf-ing around on MS's behalf. I also don't understand the lack of settings, there's nothing except accent colors and being able to resize within certain constraints. Maybe ClassicShell can come up with a cleaner win10 version of the start menu, I really wanted to try tiles out but to be able to do that you have to sacrifice so much functionality if you go the MS route.

18. rewar

rewar MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2014
    I created a new local account, that seems to solve the problem of having a 4 tile min grid. Now on to the next problem finding out how to get rid of the annoying sorting entries in the all apps menu.