The Unpatchable Malware That Infects USBs Is Now on the Loose

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by EFA11, Oct 3, 2014.

1. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    Full Story: http://www.wired.com/2014/10/code-published-for-unfixable-usb-attack/

Say goodbye to your USB? Wut say U? :D

2. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    #2 nodnar, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    not tempted to go back to floppies.. :D or dvds.. :D just a pity such security vultures think they are doing something constructive, by making it public. as usual, i am afraid they are only in it for the money. again.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I tend to agree. Nothing would stop them from working with the manufacturers if they truly wanted to. Sure it's tough to get big business to listen, but persistence and the right person would get the companies moving. I guess we will hear more on this one.

4. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I've heard of a version of this where it would take document files and run them as exe files if you double clicked them.
    Honestly, protecting yourself from these sorts of things is just as easy as avoiding malware from downloading...
    You simply don't use suspicious devices.

The major problem, of course would be if someone like the NSA intercepted packages from China, which makes all our USB stuff, and simply doctoring one of the cables with lookalikes.

They've been doing it with usb flash drives for a while, but only recently have they been doing it with cables and other usb connections.

5. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    hm. new to me.. naive walrus.. i have run my pc for over 2 years now.. and had no accidents, still as fast as ever. still, i have my doubts about calling prevention easy.. someone like nsa is not like a person to me.. it is like a criminal organisation.. not that i double click on suspect garbage, ohno.. and i have got some loose thoughts about what comes out of asia.. having been employed by huawei at one time.. just would like to mention that i never caught them at getting smart, over time..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
    Why worry about malware on it (usb) if autorun.inf is disabled.:p

7. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    lol only if it were that easy.

8. KnowledgeableNewbie

KnowledgeableNewbie MDL Member

Sep 30, 2014
    interesting, and scary. one problem, imho, is that as soon as these exploits are published every hacker in the world is going to try and reproduce it. there's no way to completely secure a computer accept disconnect from the internet, and that ain't happening. this is just goint to make it harder to try and secure.

9. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    The source code (Written in C# and 8051 ASM) is available on GitHub for those who want to take a look at it.
    I won't publish the link, as this may be against MDL policy.

Not all USB devices are compatible for use with this exploit, although I'm sure it will change as hackers start to tinker with it.

10. mockingbird

mockingbird MDL Member

Mar 13, 2011
    I never left floppies.