The weirdest Bios issue I have ever seen

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Badjasper, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Badjasper

Badjasper MDL Novice

Feb 8, 2016
    I'll keep this simple as I can.

I am working on a Toshiba L755(ACPI Bios) for a disabled friend of mine. At first he thought his CMOS Battery was bad because it keep losing the date and time. So, I replaced the battery and figured it was fixed. I booted up this morning and lo and behold, the date and time were messed up again. I booted back into the Bios and starting by changing the time. I set the hour and then, as I was setting the minutes, the date (day) starting ticking up with every second from the time. It would run like this for a while and then I would watch the date reset itself to 01/01/2010. Removing the battery doesn't help and, of course, Toshiba has no jumpers or anything on the MoBo that I can factory reset the bios. My assumption at this point is that the Bios is somehow corrupted but, I need some other opinions before I go and re-flash it as Toshiba is "Notorious" for their Bios updates bricking their computers.

Thoughts???? :confused:

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    check the bios time & date and also check the clock in Windows for the right time zone and date too, There's an option in the date and time settings in windows for internet time to synchronize with "time.windows.com"

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Badjasper

Badjasper MDL Novice

Feb 8, 2016
    This is strictly in the bios. Hard drive removed, new battery.

4. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    It's very unlikely but not impossible: new battery is bad as well. Had happened to me lol.

5. Badjasper

Badjasper MDL Novice

Feb 8, 2016
    I wished. LOL! Tested with VOM; 3.1v

6. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    looks like your best option just might be a flash

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    I agree with Joe C. It looks like there's a bug in the RTC handling code. A flash might fix it.

Unless the chip (or chipset) is bad. :eek:

8. Badjasper

Badjasper MDL Novice

Feb 8, 2016
    This is sort of what I was leaning to. Flashing the Bios on a Toshiba gives me the willies though. They seem to put out updates that brick the computers and then the won't respond with a fix or charge you to fix their mistake. Oh Well.... YOLO. LOL!

9. Badjasper

Badjasper MDL Novice

Feb 8, 2016
    I'm hoping not but, we will find out real soon. I'll update the thread when I have news. Thanks for all the help everyone!

10. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    I suggest research.
    Find others who have succeeded in flashing the BIOS on an identical laptop and find out what software they used to flash it as well as the exact BIOS version that they have flashed.

Good Luck.

11. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Just hope the OP won't face an issue I had recently on a Dell Inspiron 3421. After successfully upgrading/flashing BIOS, I tried to re-do it once again just to see what happened, you know to have the possibility to re-flash due to increasing malware attacking UEFI/BIOS firmware. And guess what? Damn flash utility pops up a message telling me I can't flash bios due the target version was same as the package. Damn!!!!!

12. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011