there some way to REALLY set file associations?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by biatche, Oct 20, 2016.

1. biatche

biatche MDL Addicted

Nov 14, 2009
    so i have a assoc.xml that can be imported via dism

but still, upon applying them, running a program the first time would require the user to select the app to run it with unless it's the only app to choose. i want the default app to automatically open without prompts.

any solutions?

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #2 kaljukass, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    Sorry, but You may choose this app or program once you have Windows installed. Select it as default and nobody will not ask no more. Who forbids to do it?
    After all, it as always has been so.
    And you do not have just one app or program, which may open for example assoc.xml file. There is quite lot of them, this is the reason why is given the possibility to choose.
    For example, you can open it with any web browser, with notepad or use some other text editing software, You can use any HTML, php, css, etc editor, You can use even music player etc. So choose what is the most useful at moment.
    I use for example Blumenthal's Rapid CSS 2016 or simple Notepad usually. But sometimes for example IE, Windows Utilities, Driver Easy etc. Everything depends what You want to do with this file.

Open Settings => System => Default apps and select what You want. Or if You have some file, right click on it and Properties and then on line Open with, select Change.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
  5. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #5 kaljukass, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    A good recommendation and a good site, based on the principle: "Why do something simply, if can be done complicatedly."

The beauty lies in simplicity.

6. biatche

biatche MDL Addicted

Nov 14, 2009
    #7 biatche, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    while ive still been unable to remove the prompt (k whatever i give up)

setting the webbrowser of my liking in the defaultappassoc.xml doesn't get applied upon importing. (in my case: cyberfox)
    any ideas? it still defaults to edge or IE whichever available.

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <DefaultAssociations>
      <Association Identifier=".HTM" ProgId="CyberfoxHTML" ApplicationName="Cyberfox" />
      <Association Identifier=".html" ProgId="CyberfoxHTML" ApplicationName="Cyberfox" />
      <Association Identifier="http" ProgId="CyberfoxURL" ApplicationName="Cyberfox" />
      <Association Identifier="https" ProgId="CyberfoxURL" ApplicationName="Cyberfox" />
    </DefaultAssociations>

7. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Can You say one reason why it should work, if it is only half of script and errors?

8. biatche

biatche MDL Addicted

Nov 14, 2009
    #9 biatche, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)

I dont follow you.

this is the complete file that i had exported:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <DefaultAssociations>
      <Association Identifier=".aimppl" ProgId="AIMP.AssocFile.AIMPPL" ApplicationName="AIMP" />
      <Association Identifier=".ape" ProgId="AIMP.AssocFile.APE" ApplicationName="AIMP" />
      <Association Identifier=".avi" ProgId="ZPAVIFile" ApplicationName="Zoom Player" />
      <Association Identifier=".fdf" ProgId="FoxitReader.FDFDoc" ApplicationName="Foxit Reader 7.2, Best Reader for Everyday Use!" />
      <Association Identifier=".flac" ProgId="AIMP.AssocFile.FLAC" ApplicationName="AIMP" />
      <Association Identifier=".html" ProgId="CyberfoxHTML" ApplicationName="Cyberfox" />
      <Association Identifier=".jpeg" ProgId="IrfanView.jpg" ApplicationName="IrfanView 64-bit" />
      <Association Identifier=".jpg" ProgId="IrfanView.jpg" ApplicationName="IrfanView 64-bit" />
      <Association Identifier=".m3u" ProgId="AIMP.AssocFile.M3U" ApplicationName="AIMP" />
      <Association Identifier=".mkv" ProgId="ZPMKVFile" ApplicationName="Zoom Player" />
      <Association Identifier=".mp3" ProgId="AIMP.AssocFile.MP3" ApplicationName="AIMP" />
      <Association Identifier=".pdf" ProgId="NitroPDF.Document.10" ApplicationName="Nitro Pro 10" />
      <Association Identifier=".png" ProgId="IrfanView.png" ApplicationName="IrfanView 64-bit" />
      <Association Identifier=".ppdf" ProgId="FoxitReader.PPDF" ApplicationName="Foxit Reader 7.2, Best Reader for Everyday Use!" />
      <Association Identifier=".psd" ProgId="Photoshop.Image.16" ApplicationName="Adobe Photoshop CC 2015" />
      <Association Identifier=".txt" ProgId="txtfile" ApplicationName="NOTEPAD.EXE" />
      <Association Identifier=".wmv" ProgId="ZPWMVFile" ApplicationName="Zoom Player" />
      <Association Identifier=".xdp" ProgId="FoxitReader.XDPDoc" ApplicationName="Foxit Reader 7.2, Best Reader for Everyday Use!" />
      <Association Identifier=".xfdf" ProgId="FoxitReader.XFDFDoc" ApplicationName="Foxit Reader 7.2, Best Reader for Everyday Use!" />
      <Association Identifier="http" ProgId="CyberfoxURL" ApplicationName="Cyberfox" />
      <Association Identifier="https" ProgId="CyberfoxURL" ApplicationName="Cyberfox" />
      <Association Identifier="mailto" ProgId="FossaMail.Url.mailto" ApplicationName="FossaMail" />
    </DefaultAssociations>
    The rest are irrelevant as you can see

9. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
  10. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    MS has made it hard to keep associations. I wish I had time right now to work on some sort of script for this that runs at every login to re-import associations but I don't. I'm highly motivated to make or find a fix for this bulls**t because I'm getting pissed off about it. Last night I wanted to watch a movie, so I double clicked the movie file and it asked what player I wanted to use. This is after I gave VLC all of its defaults for all supported formats. MS wants you to work to keep your defaults. I imagine people who know nothing about computers are stuck with WMP and edge whether they like it or not. If anyone from Microsoft is reading this, f**k you.

11. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
  12. akhmedtaia

akhmedtaia MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2013
  13. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
    ^^
    What does this have to do with file associations? Wrong topic?

Cheers.

14. biatche

biatche MDL Addicted

Nov 14, 2009
    My beef with it is mostly with web browser. No matter what i try, it still defaults to edge>ie>whatever else in that order.

15. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Strange. I'm not having a problem with browser defaults (Chrome in my case), or pdf defaults (Sumatra) on my 3 computers all of different manufacturers. It's mainly with VLC and a few other defaults. On all 3 computers I started with 10240, kept it updated, and then when RS1 was released I upgraded with the ISO on all 3. I mentioned that in hopes of finding a pattern to this. Thanks for the info.

16. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    i seem to have fixed any of these auto changed defaults.
    i run win repair portable in safemode
    then after reboot normal i go reset 1 time then set defaults and hasnt changed.

seems its permissions on registry or files

17. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @biatche try cut all bad things for the root, use EnterpriseS (LTSB) no Edge, no reader .pdf

18. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012