Things an 8.1 user should know?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by kitsigns, Oct 31, 2015.

1. kitsigns

kitsigns MDL Junior Member

Oct 31, 2012
    In general, what are some things a Windows 8.1 user should be aware of if upgrading?

I know about telemetry and the Cortana keylogging thing, and about the mandatory updates. Apparently you can disable all of these "features", which is great.

I read WASAPI got upgraded for better performance in low latency applications which is very neat (it's why I've finally decided to get on 10, despite lacklustre drivers for some of my hardware).

Have there been any changes in system behaviour relevant to things like CPU performance, audio performance, things of that nature which I should be aware of and have to tweak/live with? Examples of similar things in Windows 8.1:

disabledynamictick was useful for a brief period in order to prevent minor system hangs.
    For a long while it was necessary to manually enable 1000hz polling on mice.

2. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    You're talking about windows, where two machines with the same chipsets can have different issues. Performance, no notable performance at all, some software will have a small bump in one vs the other both ways. Gaming, only DX 12 games will be the big improvement.

So bench all your software, boots, note CPU, memory in all soft and then do the same in a win 10 clean install, judging your own system and the UI is the only way to decide.

DTS, DD, not working with optical out, but the new update in a few days is suppose to fix it.

3. kitsigns

Oct 31, 2012
    I just meant if there are any generally advisable tweaks. For example, perhaps Windows 10 is a bit too aggressive with CPU sleep so you should apply so and so registry tweak, or things of that nature.

4. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. kitsigns

Oct 31, 2012
    Ah, of course :D. I'd seen those threads before, but now that I'm actually about to upgrade to 10, I ignore them haha. My bad.