Thinking about an SSD for my Netbook. Bottom line. Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by donalgodon, Aug 17, 2010.

1. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    I'm pretty new to the world of Windows, as a Linux/MacOS/Ubuntu user, I've recently acquired an Asus Netbook (UL-30) that I've considered swapping the HD for an SSD, but I've heard so much conflicting info that my head is spinning.

I trust the judgement of those with more experience here, so I'd just like to ask you all. Given the pros/cons of the SDD at present, is it really worth the upgrade price and loss of storage space?

I'd be going from a 500GB 5400RPM drive to a 64GB Kingston V series 425 with TRIM support.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

What I'm looking for is: Quietness, (the Seagate 5400.6 is noisy) fast booting, reliability, and power savings, and I've seen that in the latter, there is some substantial debate, with many suggesting that SSD actually uses more power, not less.

2. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    I should mention that I don't use most of the space. In total, I use about 35 GB.

3. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    i have installed a corsair ssd 128 gig in my desktop ($300) its fast about 25-35 seconds to the desktop finished screen (kaspersky macroexpert Evga precision and a few orthers) are in the startup also i have halflife 2 bioshock 2 and a few other games on it so startup times for the games are pretty quick, so yea ssd will speed u up but if i where u i would get at least a 80 gig ssd. shop around the prices vari alot for the same ssd it is a lot cheeper to buy online from newegg or someone like that

4. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    From what I see in the specs, most of the SSDs use more power than HDDs (in some cases double). Is that really the case?! I'm a bit surprised, given the way they're marketed. I smell a class-action suit in the pipeline.

5. Pegatron

Pegatron MDL Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Power & Cost Per GB

My notebook battery life has improved slightly since I got my SSD. I've never heard that they use more power. It makes since to believe that they use less power since there are no major moving mechanical parts, but I don't really know.
    The performance gains are good, but I wish I had more drive space so I didn't have to think about running out of space while editing videos. Cost per GB is still an issue.

6. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Seems that the power issue was a bit misleading and that newer data shows that they are (in most applications) more efficient. I think I will.

7. fdjc

fdjc MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Personally I would avoid the Kingston SSD.

I was sent it as they where out of Corsair (I had ordered) and they reimbursed me the price difference.

I found it slower after a full OS reinstall than my previous 7200RPM drive that had 2 years of stuff on it...

It might be faster in your case as most notebooks have 5400RPM but really, I returned the Kingston for a Corsair, paid the difference (when they where in stock again)
    and now PC runs great, programs open fast, boot is about 60-70 seconds with all my crap on such as anti-virus, keyboard and mouse software, security apps etc.

A Corsair P128 was my drive if that helps you any. 128GB capacity (119GB in Windows due to the 1000kb v 1024kb)

8. cwzkevin

cwzkevin MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    I put 32GB Kingston SSDNow to my lenovo s9 netbook, 120GB OCZ Vertex2 to my dell latitude notebook. My notebook bootup time is then 21 seconds. Didn't check netbook's boot time, but it was fast enough for me! Opening firefox or office 2010 is like in no time! SSDNow is slower than Vertex2, obviously, but it is still fast enough! That's why I choose it for my netbook to replace 5400 rpm WD blue spindle!

Between SSD and spindle, battery time isn't much different! Maybe 10 mins longer for SSD. There is no sound for SSD. Less heat for the system when using SSD, makes the fan moves slower. Also, quiet! Much faster booting.

Go for it! Especially when you think that your netbook runs slow! It was my case when my wife said that the netbook runs too slow! Now, super fast!

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    OCZ vertex 2 rocks!! I use the 100 GB version for my sysdrive C at my self built PC:
    Despite of the MLC-technology it beats most of the SLC drives which are much more expensive...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  12. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    #12 dareckibmw, Aug 25, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
    I agree with you Yen, but its only for c:OS and few apps I use frequently, so 80 GB with that "low" write speed doesn't bother me a lot. Besides, Wife doesn't even know yet that she is spending extra $200! for something I don't really need....so, how i gonna tell her that Yen said the one for $350 is better, huh?! :D

13. willko

willko MDL Member

May 14, 2008
    There's a big difference between the Kingston SSD V series and the V+ series. Basically the former is not that good while the V+ series is excellent value for money. I would avoid the V series even if it were free...

14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I agree with that.:D I just wanted to inform you about a 'low' write rate in case you haven't noticed about.

In my country the intel X25-M SSD is 227$, means 2.84$ / GB and the Corsair Performance P128 2.5 SATA II MLC 128GB 294$, means 2.30$ / GB and is thus cheaper.....350$ seems a bad deal for it... ;)
    So I would buy the Corsair.....didn't know the costs are different.

Anyway both SSDs are much faster than common HDDs...

What impresses me most: (I'm using my SSD half a year now, I got the OCZ vertex 2 100 GB :) )

-fast boot ok..but...

It boots / behaves as fast as I did my clean install! I have tried many applications (install / uninstall) already...no slowing down due to fast access times....this simply rocks. Fragmentation never matters...every day as fast as at first day..lol..

15. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
  16. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    I'm about ready to kill someone here. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get ANY of the ISO options to work with HDDErase 3.3 or 4.0 and I tried gparted and it says: missing PASSWD

ANYONE?

17. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  18. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
  19. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Ahh, you've got your SSD with the notebook.

I'm impressed. I got 7,7 with OCZ vertex 2 as well.
    But what's even better: You'll notice after some time that the speed doesn't slow down. Fragmentation never matters...w7 remains that fast (boot), especially when loading /writing!
    I never see the welcome message of w7 at booting. After the flying windows colors it always brings me right the desktop.:D
    Enjoy!

20. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    #20 dareckibmw, Sep 4, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
    Yeah, I've got it and ....lost it already :( My wife said she likes it :D I couldn't argue with that...oh well, I'll get one for me soon, this time with 128 GB SSD, just in case :p