ThinkPad additional bios options?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by stefan.qn, May 31, 2010.

1. stefan.qn

stefan.qn MDL Novice

May 31, 2010
    I'm looking for a tool to unlock additional bios options -if existing- in my Lenovo Thinkpad SL510.

Actually I just want to have bios options e.g. ram timings etc like the ones you get in a 'normal' retail mainboard.

I've took a look into the "Practical BIOS Editing.pdf" and I guess I need a tool like "MODBIN6.EXE". Sadly I couldn't manage to run it on my Win7-64 bit and it seems outdated to me.

Is unlocking additional bios menus/ options still possible?
    Which tool do I need?
    Is "Phoenix Mod Tool 1.30" what I'm looking for? Where do I get it?

thanks in advance

2. stefan.qn

stefan.qn MDL Novice

May 31, 2010
    any ideas?

3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Before you think about to modify a bios generally you should think about recovery.
    At Lenovo notebooks it's tricky to recover and at most of the models it's not possible....

To unlock bios features could be possible, to implement new features very difficult. You need knowledge about the details of the bios, only an professional could have.

Your bios is a Phoenix bios. To open and edit with Phoenix Bios Editor. Its rebuild ability may be incompatible.
    IMHO since it's a Notebook bios I think there are no useful features to unlock, the risk to brick it is far too high....think about recovery first, then you may play with it...

I never 'unlocked' a Phoenix bios, what I do is to exchange modules, to remove whitelists, to insert a SLIC table......I know about the modular structure, I know nothing about to unlock hidden menues....

You can extract the bios with uniextract and open it with PBE (a *.FL1 file is the compressed bios to be expanded first)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...