Thinkpad Bios: Alter mapping of internal keyboard

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Moskito123, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Moskito123

Moskito123 MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2013
    Hi

I'm currently trying to figure out how to change the mapping key <--> scancode for the keyboard which, for notebooks, is supposedly done somewhere in the firmware (bios or maybe ecp).

I have two Thinkpads with different keyboard mappings (W520, W530), both having a UEFI firmware based on an Insyde / UEFI Bios (Phoenix) and an ECP and I'd like to change the mapping of the W530 to the mapping of the W520 and vice versa to support different keyboards.

So far I've tried to just replace the following modules from one firmware with the ones from the other using WinFlash as well as Phoenix Tool, but that didn't change much (the internal keyboard presents itself as PS/2 device):
    Any idea how to locate the correct module or to find out if the mapping is done in the UEFI at all or if it's done in the ECP firmware?

Best Regards,
    Moskito

2. gavadr

gavadr MDL Novice

May 23, 2010
    Hi,

were you able to make any more progress on this. Seems the same files are found even in the .FL2 file ( which is the EC firmware ? )

3. ucupsz

ucupsz MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2013
    wohooo... this is gonna be huge if sucess.
    classic keyboard rocks!! \m/

4. haarp

haarp MDL Novice

Dec 4, 2009
    Any news on this?

As far as I know, the keyboard mapping is done through the ECP. Middleton, the guy who did the Ctrl/Fn swaps on many older Thinkpad BIOSes, edited the EC firmware for the swap (http : // forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo/474396-fn-ctrl-swap-all-lenovo-laptops-solved.html)

5. haarp

haarp MDL Novice

Dec 4, 2009
    For those still following this: It is now possible!

https : // github.com / hamishcoleman / thinkpad-ec