Thinkpad W510 Win7 64 bit & XP Downgrade License - Which XP to download & install?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by crashnburn, Sep 4, 2010.

1. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    #1 crashnburn, Sep 4, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
    Thinkpad W510: Win7x64 w XP Downgrade Lic. Which OEM XP down/install? Have Dell XPsp3

Thinkpad W510: Win7x64 w XP Downgrade Lic. Which OEM XP down/install? Have Dell XPsp3

Which would default work well as an OEM licensed Win XP Pro for this machine?

I downloaded from the torrents on tpb an Dell OEM XP SP3. It installed on an old T43 but I had to do online activation for it.

Is there a better download or a way to extract / modify this or other (have some other HP/Dell OEM XP Sp1 / Sp2 CDs) CDs for install on this Lenovo Thinkpad W510 - WITHOUT NEEDING ONLINE ACTIVATION... Pre-activated preferably?

I have a license but not the relevant media as Lenovo stopped providing them.

2. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    Will take a look at the Dell CD tomorrow.
    Q - Assuming I do the replacement therapy, dont I need to be careful to ensure that the CD / new ISO remains bootable?

I have mostly Thinkpads, Few Dells & some HPs. Would it make sense to eventually make a multi OEM CD?

3. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Always nice with a multioem cd for your friends and families computers..:)

4. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    Can I also install using the Dell XP Sp3 OEM and then replace the 4 files on the PC? Shouldnt that work?

At what step / stage of Windows installation should I do that?... so that I dont have to go for activation etc online...

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  6. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    I read them but they are too much info :). Which do I need to read most?
    I get the gist of it that the 4 OEM files / packed or unpacked make the OEM activation happen.. right?

I ran the OEMBIOS.EXE on my T61 which has XP, but not on the W510 that has Win7. I'll run it on that to figure out what you asked.

Thanks for the info on the backward vs forward :) Got your point.

I have
    - Several Lenovo Thinkpads & 1 IBM Thinkpad
    - Several Dell Inspirons
    - 1/2 HP Laptops

Some Dell & HP OEM ISOs (Some I had originally and some I downloaded from Torrents). I dont have any other Corporate /VLK ISO but I could look on torrents if thats needed.

I am thinking if there is a quick and dirty way of just using the above Dell/HP OEM ISOs... Opening it up in UltraISO/ Magic ISO and doing some file and folder replacements/ additions in the OEM folder and be good to go.
    PS: I am not that big on the Logos as long as activation works for the several BRANDS of laptops I listed above.

So I have 2 paths:
    1 - Use the OEM ISOs I have and modify/ ADD OEM files in them...

2- Get the above Multi-OEM and modify/ REMOVE OEM files from it..
    (The file is too large for a CD.. and I dont need a DVD with 25 OEMs.. just OEMs I want).
    Can I simply REMOVE the OEMs I dont need from the ISO and poof.. be good to go?

7. spadge007

spadge007 MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2009
    I have the Lenovo W510 Windows XP Recovery DVD's. Is there anything you need of it?