Thinkpad X120e TP-8F Certificate

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ToniCipriani, Apr 5, 2011.

1. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani MDL Junior Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Does anyone have the certificate for the Thinkpad X120e TP-8F?

I'm trying to do a clean installation of Windows 7 Ultimate, and my machine already has the TP-8F SLIC in the BIOS, but I don't have the corresponding XRM-MS certificate file, since for some reason my machine didn't come preactivated.

2. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Use slic dumptoolkit to verify it has slic 2.1..

If you bought it with W7 it should have slic 2.1 and been preactivated. Use Windows loader to install key and cert.

3. ToniCipriani

Sep 30, 2009
    It does, but that's the thing. My original Windows did NOT come preactivated for some reason, and had 20 days left.

I ran the toolkit and says version 0.0.

Does that mean I need a BIOS mod?

4. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Bought in store, came with W7, updated bios from website? Ran the tool as admin?

If you dont have slic 2.1 as it should have update the bios and use windows loader, if it says key+cert is installed and you dont have to restart its OK.

5. ToniCipriani

Sep 30, 2009
    I'll try updating the BIOS. I think what might've happened is that they loaded the BIOS for PC-DOS on my machine, since my machine is CTO, but I ordered Windows 7 (PC DOS not an option in Canada). If anything they didn't even load the restore partition properly on my machine.

If else fails I'll try a BIOS mod.

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Are you trying to say the machine came with windows 7 OEM not OEM SLP i,e, you actually bought windows 7 company did install it but didn't activate it you should have beed given a windows 7 dvd and also a serial number.

7. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    I looked it up on Lenovo's website and it does come with W7 but shoudnt they be preactivated OEM:SLP..

8. ToniCipriani

Sep 30, 2009
    No, my machine came with Windows 7.

But for some reason after setting it up, I notice it's not preactivated, and running the toolkit seems to indicate my machine doesn't have a certificate.

My theory is they flashed the wrong BIOS in my machine, I should get the SLIC BIOS but got the PC-DOS BIOS instead, so machine even with the certificate it won't activate. Thing is, there is a SLIC module in the ACPI table, but the version is reported as unknown.

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Ain't got a clue what you are talking about with pc-dos bios have you run Slic dump tool kit can't you post screenshots.

10. ToniCipriani

Sep 30, 2009
    I'm out of internet at home right now, so posting screenshots would be a bit difficult.

For one thing, in the basic screen in the toolkit just shows the OEM string, then a string of FFs. Marker is =!

11. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I don't think your machine has slic at all same as you can buy some dell models without an os system and some with windows 7 with slic in bios. If it did have windows 7 officially it should have and oem coa sticker on your machine.

P.S.
    what does CTO mean please explain ?

12. ToniCipriani

Sep 30, 2009
    CTO = Configure to Order.

My machine does have a COA, it's behind the battery. Which makes me wonder why it doesn't have a SLIC.

Also I tried a BIOS update, no SLIC was added it seems.

13. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  14. ToniCipriani

Sep 30, 2009
    Windows 7 Home Prem OA is what it says.

15. ToniCipriani

Sep 30, 2009
    OK, so I ran ACPIRW and Toolkit again, I'm pretty sure I don't have a SLIC in my BIOS, at least a proper one. There's no marker in my BIOS.

I've raised a request to get my BIOS modded...

16. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Fair enough but that doesn't solve you original problem you paid for windows 7 if you computer does not have slic 2.1 then you should have been supplied with Windows 7 OEM DVD and (non slp) serial number. I would be contacting the company I bought it from.

17. ToniCipriani

Sep 30, 2009
    So what you're saying is, I can't do regular activations with the serial number that's stuck on my machine?

How should I ask Lenovo? I tried telling them my Windows came unactivated but they don't seem to understand what I'm talking about.

18. ToniCipriani

Sep 30, 2009
    I spoke with Lenovo, they're going to replace my motherboard to fix it.

19. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Thats good news hope there will be no charge :)

20. ToniCipriani

Sep 30, 2009
    Well it's under warranty. However I got a Lenovo exec contact me because of the BBB complaint I filed for the delay of delivery of my machine. I told him this story, and told him I actually prefer replacing the entire machine provided that I don't need to wait another month. I much prefer not having refurbished parts in my brand new machine.