Thinkpad X61: SATA controller whitelist?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by flyingfishfinger, Jul 2, 2014.

1. flyingfishfinger

flyingfishfinger MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2014
    #1 flyingfishfinger, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    Thinkpad X61: mini-PCIe SATA controller whitelist?

Hi, I'm usually active over on the Thinkpad forums. I'm doing some HW mods with my X61, but I ran into a snag even with Middleton's whitelisted BIOS.
    I installed a SATA controller mPCIe card, but with this card the machine never boots. I'm guessing it's because it is a SATA controller that may not be something the whitelist bypasses.
    Before I ask for a mod request, I wanted to see what people's opinion of this is. Maybe it's not something one can mod, or it's a different issue. Once the machine is booted up, I can install the card and use it just fine.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks!

Rafael

2. flyingfishfinger

Jul 2, 2014
    I know this isn't so cool...but bump. I'd love even just thoughts on the matter...
    Thanks!

Rafael

3. Galileo Figaro

Galileo Figaro MDL Junior Member

Sep 6, 2010
    One option would perhaps be Coreboot?
    Simpler though would be to let BIOS be and use a workaround, like PLOP.
    If you're installing Windows you can also do as follows:

Attach an empty HDD in the ordinary place for that.
    Attach a HDD to your extra SATA controller.
    Install Windows (any of NT4-W8.1) to the HDD on the extra SATA controller.

When all is done you'll have an ordinary windows system on the HDD attached to the extra SATA controller, and, you'll have a couple of boot files on the HDD attached to the ordinary controller. These boot files can be moved. I did that a very long time ago with SCSI controllers that had no boot ROMs, SATA is the modern successor to SCSI. If you happen to have a floppy drive, you can move the files to a floppy and boot off it. The HDD drive that initially hosted these boot files can then be removed.

I realize that floppies are rare nowadays, but what you can do with a floppy you can normally do with a USB stick as well. You can also burn the files to a CD or DVD. Do bear in mind that you will henceforth always be dependent on that boot floppy/USB/CD/DVD, as long as you want to run your Windows from a HDD on that extra SATA controller.

Linux offers similar possibilities, but you'll have to google for that.

4. flyingfishfinger

Jul 2, 2014
    #4 flyingfishfinger, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    (OP)
    The issue is that the system won't even boot if the SATA controller is installed. The current workaround is to plug in the card once (a system) is booted up, then I can access HDDs connected to it. Hence the question about a BIOS mod, since without one the system refuses to even start.

Coreboot does not support X61....

Thanks!

R

5. Galileo Figaro

Galileo Figaro MDL Junior Member

Sep 6, 2010
    You should have provided more info.
    Try assigning another IRQ to the SATA interface in BIOS.

6. flyingfishfinger

Jul 2, 2014
    Yes, I apologize. I wrote my initial post based on notes and observations I had made the last time I tried it (a few months back). I have new information, part of which is that it works now (for unknown reason)! I suspect it has something to do with the fact that I got a different motherboard (although, same model and series), or perhaps a newer version of Middleton's BIOS helped.
    However, I cannot do a comparison because my old laptop was stolen (the reason I have a new motherboard...).
    I would be happy to provide additional information, if anyone wants it.
    Thanks though!

Rafael