This device is not authorized to use Microsoft Windows

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by GOD666, Dec 21, 2015.

1. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #1 GOD666, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    :eek: Has anyone ever seen this error before?! I got this error on a fresh install. I got this error the moment Microsoft tried to validate and was stuck with it. Thinking it was a bad install I formatted and I used KMS to activate and that only worked temporarily as soon as I updated it rebooted with that error again.

Once the error presents itself I can no longer user windows. Forget trying to login, it boots into this screen that reads this message.

edit: Should clarify that originally I upgraded for free, but fell back into using kms as I kept getting that message. No idea how Microsoft thinks I violated the agreement, except that I did tweak my setting to remove all the spying they include in Windows 10. I don't think that violates the agreement and I'm more concerned how they would or could track such a thing if that was the reason. :confused:

2. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    This reminds me of ChaserLee's problem:
    Default We Couldn't Install Some Updates Because......

OK, I'd like to know just exactly what brain-e-act works at MS that thought up the message I just got a few minutes ago. I want their job, along with their pay!!

So, I'm doing Windows Updates through the regular settings section, and it informs me that an update is available for AMD High Def Device. I start the download going, and it downloads the update fine, and then after a bit of busy cursor indication, it tells me plain as day "We Couldn't Install Some Updates Because The PC Was Turned Off". WHAT??? I'm sitting right here, looking at the screen, and it tells me that it's turned off??? And again, who, who, who thinks these things up? If my PC is off, do I need a message telling me of that? LOL
    :eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Gharlane00

Gharlane00 MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2009
    Wow, Interesting. I'm guessing that your HWID is flagged and you are going to have to alter it to make the error go away

I hope we all don't start seeing it :eek:

4. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Maybe you are right, but I think someone did something in their pants over at big Daddy's:eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    I'm just thankful it is only 1 pc and not all of them. I do not know exactly what triggered it and can only guess that it had to do with my tweaking. Once I got that message it became impossible to install Windows 10 on that pc without getting the message again (so long as I was online). I've figured as long as I don't connect to the internet I appear to be OK.

6. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    I hate to say this, but 1 computer so far, you know what they are capable of.:worthy:

7. Gharlane00

Gharlane00 MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2009
    Now you can start experimenting to see what it takes to alter your HWID

8. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    By "Tweaking" have you modified your install media? Perhaps something is corrupted...

9. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    Have you thought of asking Microsoft? There making the accusation so ask for the evidence. :D

10. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #10 lobo11, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    I don't know if I would stand up and shout, you have other computers to think about, and if you make a big enough fuss, well you get the picture:confused:

Maybe if you have a old backup copy of image

11. dmex

dmex MDL Junior Member

Apr 20, 2011
    You should call the MS activation line and ask over the phone to manually activate your machine (never mention KMS)... I highly doubt they would permanently ban your HWID since you could sell the machine and the next owner would be SOL.

12. kuroda

kuroda MDL Senior Member

Aug 25, 2012
    ....Sinister......:eek:

13. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
  14. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    hi dude, thanks for the info and app, very useful :)

15. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    No, I was using the original free upgrade that Microsoft gave. Completely 100% genuine and valid. I was tweaking ways to remove the build in spyware and adware and that is when I finally got the notice. Once I received it I couldn't use the computer so I formated and reinstalled and got the notice when trying to activate. Figured something was up so I tried using KMS and that worked, but as soon as I tried to update I got the notice again.

16. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    I sort of got a run around by Microsoft.

Online support was useless because they claimed I would need to be using that PC for them to diagnose it, but that isn't possible because once you get that notice, you cannot use the PC (windows automatically reboots and puts you in what looks like a Windows Setup mode with that notice).

Phone support wasn't forth coming either. The moment you tell them about an evolu violation they either sound under trained OR outright tell you they cannot help you further.

17. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    The one Google result for that error message is your post. You're going to have to post an actual screen shot (or a photo if you "cannot use Windows") and related event log data regarding that message if you want help, because I don't think anybody knows what it's about.

18. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    Meh. I formated it and installed Linux. It was only 1 PC out of the other 3 that I have.

19. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    I had the same after change of motherboard had to install windows 7 ultimate and activate it and upgraded from there solved it ;)

20. chris34

chris34 MDL Member

Oct 28, 2009

Something must have gone very wrong or they changed it/enforced the EULA with the influx of uninstall all the things create more headaches pseudo anti-privacy scripts. Because before if you removed the wrong preinstalled app/telemetry you used to just lose activation.

They might consider uninstalling (instead of disabling) the whole telemetry as a failure to respect this EULA clause: