"This key cannot be used to install a retail version of windows 8"

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by v1sa, Dec 19, 2012.

1. v1sa

v1sa MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2012
    Hi guys,

I own a hp tm2. The previous owner upgraded it to windows 8 in the hp service centre. While trying to reinstall the os i got the following error:

"This key cannot be used to install a retail version of windows 8"

So i ran ultimate PID checker and it says: Windows 8 RTM professional volume: GVLK.

So which version of windows 8 installer should i use and where can i download it legally.

My laptop is 64bit and has no cd/dvd drive

2. Jachra

Jachra MDL Member

Apr 5, 2010
    You could download a MSDN version of Windows 8 Pro from anywhere. But you must make sure that it has not been tampered with.
    If you search this board, you can find the hashes with which you can compare your downloaded version so that you can see if it is original or not.

If your key is legit, then you might be able to activate it against a Microsoft Activation Server or you must resort to a available KMS Server.
    Several KMS servers can also be found on this board through searching.

3. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    You need to install the GVLK version of the Windows 8. But Retail also accepts Volume licenses.. There's strange.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Jachra

Jachra MDL Member

Apr 5, 2010
    That could be by design of the install medium. The file named ei.cfg could be responsible in restricting this. Without further details from the original poster it is hard to determine the cause of this. The best remedy would be to download a valid MSDN version of Windows 8 Pro and create a install USB.

5. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Are you asking how to install it with that key, or how to install a legal version? Because that key will not get you a legal installation.

6. v1sa

v1sa MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2012
    Why not? Its a legal key, my windows is activated. I just wish to reinstall the OS as i've purchased the laptop from the previous owner.

Am downloading msdn iso right now. Ill update as to how it goes

7. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    If you have Pro/Core the MSDN Iso will work fine, if you have CoreSingleLanguage or whatever instead of "Core" the MSDN Iso will not work.

Also you don't actually need to reinstall unless you actually want it Clean, simply use the "RESET" feature inside Windows, this will wipe everything clean and reinstall with a base image, your OEM Laptop should have a Recovery partition and the partition should have a recovery image on it which gets used when you use this feature.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. v1sa

v1sa MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2012
    As I said I have Windows 8 Pro x64

Ive already tried the reset feature. I get the "some files are missing.your windows installation or recovery media will provide these files" error. So ive got to download the iso anyways

Ive also tried booting into recovery by pressing f11 during startup. It just boots windows 8 normally. I think this is because the laptop came pre loaded with windows 7 and the guys at the hp service center messed up the recovery.

9. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    It's a volume license key, which means that it is not for resale and only valid as part of an organization's volume license agreement with MS. So no, if that volume license doesn't apply to you it will never give you a legal license.

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I honestly don't think your machine was updated by HP service center I think person you bought it off has installed windows 8.

11. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    HP does not use GLVK keys!, as urie said the person you bought it from installed windows 8 with a kms activation (either a loader or from a host someone hosted)

12. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Also the questions I have is Did you check to insure that F11 was active. By Default my HP Restore Key is NOT ACTIVE...you have to turn on in the BIOS...
    My Acer Laptops are the same,, RESTORE keys are OFF by Default....
    My Dell is the same also. OFF by DEFAULT....
    now if some files are missing why did you not try SFC /scannow to fix....
    if that failed they why not RESTORE back to not REFRESH...