This PC can't run windows 10: We couldn't update the system reserved partition.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Simpuhl, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Simpuhl

Simpuhl MDL Senior Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Can you zero the HDD and reinstall the original OS. Don't use format to clean the drive. Or if it's a SSD use secure erase.

If not there are other options if it's not easy to reinstall original.

3. Simpuhl

Aug 8, 2012
    I have Windows 7 Pro and I am upgrading to Windows 10 Pro

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. kaos420

kaos420 MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    maybe click learn more. maybe your hardware is to old. wrong os version . see what they say.

5. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
  6. himesh

himesh MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2015
    I also faced the same error while upgrading from windows 7 ultimate. Just follow the steps mentioned in the post. Replace the "chkdsk Y: /F /X /sdcleanup /L:5000" with "chkdsk Y: /F /X /L:5000" for windows 7.

7. Simpuhl

Aug 8, 2012
    Someone said delete all the files in system reserve except the english language but when I open it even though its like 94% full I can't see any files even with show all system files enabled. I am going to try and just extend it to 250mb and see what happens

8. Delta128

Delta128 MDL Novice

Apr 30, 2012
    Care to share what PC make/model & general specs and HDD configuration you have ?? What does the PC Report say ??
    When I reformatted recently to do a clean install of my Dell laptop, I didn't bother to re-install the system reserve partition and/or recreate it afterward. Now that it's on Win10Pro (upgrade from W7Pro) - there is no longer such partition nor is there a need for one, I think ?? Are you dual-booting and/or running any PM software ??

9. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Thanks for posting, as you know some work for some and not others so I figured it would be better to see all the ideas.

@ SIM : I still say a clean install is best. I don't know if expanding the reserve is OK, some say yes and some say not too. But I have never had to try so I can't say.

I have also seen where another reserve partition was added. But like I said I hate to tell someone to try something I haven't done and cause them problems.

10. Simpuhl

Aug 8, 2012
    Running

chkdsk Y: /F /X /L:5000

Y being the drive letter I chose for my system reserve drive letter seemed to shrink it in half! Going to retry the setup.

11. Simpuhl

Aug 8, 2012

I want to do a clean install but Im not sure if my key will work, so I want to do an upgrade and then from the upgrade do a clean install.

12. Simpuhl

Aug 8, 2012

THIS WORKED!!!

Steps:

Open Disk Management (I right click computer and choose manage)
    Select Dick Management
    Assign drive letter to 100mb system reserve
    run CMD as Administrator
    type
    chkdsk Y: /F /X /L:5000 (Y being the drive letter I chose)
    unassign drive letter
    install.

13. himesh

himesh MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2015
    I have tried that and successfully updated to windows 10 but I agree it is a risky thing. MBR files are also stored in the reserved partition so deleting them would make the system unbootable. By the way I can't share links so I quoted your post instead of the op. :D

14. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    :clap: and glad you posted for others in case they see this. Congrats.

15. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Well thanks to you they didn't try a million things. :worthy: The 20 post limit, :rocket:

16. Simpuhl

Aug 8, 2012
    Your welcome

Apparently I do have an illegal copy of windows because the installation failed half way through (different issue)

I guess the key I have on my system is for HOME edition but some how I have professional installed. Just going to do a clean install and use autokms I guess

17. himesh

himesh MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2015
    You're welcome. That was one of the million things people tried.:D

18. Underclocked

Underclocked MDL Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Another way to get around the problem of not being able to add an os due to the system reserve partition size is to use something like Minitool Partition Wizard. Shrink the C drive partition by about 250MB from the front end (enter that manually, not with the slider). Then enlarge the system reserve partition by the same amount you reduced from C partition. Apply the changes, the computer should reboot and Minitool will do the operation for you.