Thomson cable modem goes crazy on WM7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ibeqa, Nov 30, 2009.

1. ibeqa

ibeqa MDL Member

Sep 14, 2009
    I have Thomson cable modem (model THG520) and it worked very well. I bought a dlink di 524 wireless router, installed it and everything was ok (it requested 10 times per day to be restarted though). Anyway, that was using WIN XP. After I installed WIN 7, in the beginning it was ok, than I noticed that my modem goes crazy, restarting itself constantly for a whole hour. I spoke with my costumer support and they told me that it is fault of the wireless router. I removed dlink but my modem still restarts itself (usually from 6 pm till 7 pm CET). I spoke again with costumer support but now they don't have a clue (saying that I have a virus, that I have to format computer etc, etc. I have a very good antivirus - Avira and I always get the new updates and also my computer was recently formatted, when WIN 7 was installed.

If anyone has a clue about this, your help is appreciated.

Cheers

2. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Well, for one, don't ever believe anything they try to sell you. They usually don't know anything you don't, and most often just say things like, you have a virus, or format your drive, or reset modem, etc...
    Did you know that when someone from customer support tells you to reset your modem, and you do it, that your call will be automaticly disconnected ? (when you have a phone line from same provider)
    Those are all tricks to get rid of you quickly.

I'd say there is something wrong with the modem itself, be it on your side, or on the ISP side. You could try to disconnect it (power off) for about ten seconds, then reconnect. Also, you could try another NIC. That way it will have to reset itself with the new MAC of the NIC (That could take upto 5 or 10 minutes).

If those won't work, call them back, and TELL them your modem is broken, and they have to replace it.

Gen

3. ibeqa

ibeqa MDL Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Thanks for your reply, I did try to power of for 10 seconds but that did not help. What I find strange is that modem usually goes crazy from 6pm to 7pm, I might have to restart it 2-3 times during the day but that's nothing compared to craziness at evening.
    Anyway, tomorrow I will send it back (on their request), so they can test it.

Cheers

4. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    between 6 and 7 pm, is that by any chance the time they update your daily bandwith or something ? If so, this could be a fault from their side...

just a guess...

Tell us how it went.

Gen

5. ibeqa

ibeqa MDL Member

Sep 14, 2009
    All right, I sent my modem for testing, but they just gave me another one (recently repaired). For now it is working very well (I connected it at 5pm, now is 6:17pm and there are no issues like with previous modem).

Cheers