Tim Cook rewrites history: says `Europe' term made up by Americans!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by acyuta, Feb 11, 2014.

1. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Here is the article:

http://www.dailytech.com/Apple CEO T...ticle34296.htm

Here is the WSJ Interview:
    http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/02/...nal-interview/

Specifically Tim Cook states:
    ```...Android is like Europe. Europe was a name that somebody came up with for Americans who didn’t understand that Europe was a lot of countries that weren’t like U.S. states. They were very different. Android is many things. How many people who use a Kindle know that they’re using Android? And you see what Samsung is doing by putting more and more software on top. I think it’s night and day. The compare is so off..''

A rebuttal in the comments to the DailyTech Article:

Europe was a term used all the way back in ancient Greece; not something invented in the past 100 years because of American ignorance.

I can confirm this. She (Evropa) is mentioned in the Iliad, and that's from the 700 BCE period in greek antiquity.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Links not working 4 me ....o_O

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  4. Spyrocheti

Spyrocheti MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    #4 Spyrocheti, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
    There are new studies growing in popularity, claiming Homer was the grandchild of Odysseus and son of Telemachus, placing him at around 2200 BC. Yes around 4200 years ago.

5. Phreack

Phreack MDL Novice

Apr 19, 2014
    Claiming americans invented Europe? This reminds me of an american teenage high schooler who once asked how there could be countries not in America if America was the whole world...

6. Galileo Figaro

Galileo Figaro MDL Junior Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Europe, or Evropa, was a persian princess, whose name meant "broad faced". She was seduced by Zeus, who for the purpose took the shape of a bull. You will find lots of classic art depicting this ancient piece of bestiality, just google Europe and the bull.

Much later the term started representing Christian Europe, in fact Catholic Europe. And yet later it became the name of the continent, no matter religion.

7. Zerguet

Zerguet MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2014
    Classic Tim Cook :D