Timewasting computers

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by Katinka1, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Katinka1

Katinka1 MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2016
    If my Computer hardware works, it works. When it doesn't. I get annoyed and angry. It can be such a time waster.

Oh, and HI! :worthy:

2. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Do you want to know what really bothers me? I want to look up something important on the internet. So I turn on my laptop and Windows informs me it needs to be updated. Then I wait for the updates to download and install, then reboot the machine.

After the reboot, my anti-virus software tells me it's definition files are out of date. So I stop to update that.

Then I finally get to open Firefox, and it informs me it's out of date. So I apply the update and restart Firefox.

Finally I end up staring blankly at the laptop screen because I've completely forgotten what I was trying to do in the first place. :confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. wazzock

wazzock MDL Senior Member

Oct 22, 2016
    thats if your computer actually starts, being stuck in a constant loop of messed up updates. :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    That's the best part of the user experience...Amnesia. :D

5. wazzock

Oct 22, 2016
    You are a woman and can get away with that defence, you either had a blonde moment, or in later life, you have a senior moment :D

6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    Cortana needs a new name.. Amesiana: "yes old fart.. what can i help you remember you were just doing?"

7. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Say no to the updates until you're done searching? :eek:

8. wazzock

Oct 22, 2016
    install something, disable its auto update. disable ALL auto updating, on EVERYTHING. i get less problems that way. :)

9. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Until you get hacked through a vulnerability that was not fixed because you disabled updating.

10. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    It depends on the specific scenario and the type of security you have.

I'm on Windows 8.1 x64 Update 3 sans updates since it was released and never got infected.
    Browsers running within Sandboxie.
    AppGuard.
    NVT ERP
    Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit
    Shadow Defender.

Only soft I update is just applications, that's it. And I do it manually not whenever apps want to... :tea:

11. wazzock

Oct 22, 2016
    you manually update at a day and time of your chosing :)

12. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    The day after you're hacked!:D