Tiny Wall overridden hosts file

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by oroku, Aug 17, 2015.

1. oroku

oroku MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2011
    As the title states, TinyWall's service is blocking access from the hosts file. It also overridden all my entries for anti-telemetry lines. Does anyone know how I can re-add my lines? The service also won't shut off unless I probably either uninstall, go into safe mode, or maybe do the entries from live cd. I tried updating the file using the Dev Helper executable but received a unhandled exception.

Just curious if anyone knows if there's more control to this software than I am aware of, thanks.

2. wwanky

wwanky MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2009
    I tried it yesterday there is an option to block changes to host file so make sure that isn't enabled.

When I installed it, it deleted all the firewall rules and added its own. When uninstalled it restored the firewall to defaults.

I've uninstalled it now, I just block outbound and use a right click menu extension to allow programs exe through firewall.

3. shanye

shanye MDL Junior Member

Jun 6, 2015
    Yes. From the task manager icon go to Manage>General>untick Prevent modifications to hosts file. Also untick Enable blocklists.

If you do this, your old modified block list will come back.

If you re-enable 'Prevent modifications to hosts file' will will just get protection for whatever hosts is there.

If you re-enable 'Enable blocklists' Tiny wall will write over your current hosts.

I have copied they Tiny Wall blocklist (by using the 'enable blocklist option', copying and disabling it again) and added it to my anti-telemetry hosts file to make a version that is made up from both.

The final setting I use is 'Prevent modifications to hosts file' enabled, 'Enable blocklists' disabled. Host file version as above.

Tinywall uses the MVPS host list - you can get that from the MVPS site...

4. oroku

oroku MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2011

Thanks for sharing, I don't know how my eyes overlooked this as I visited that section a few times, my old file did come back.