[DISCUSSION] Symantec Endpoint Protection

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by CHEF-KOCH, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Bushwalker8

Bushwalker8 MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2015
    Client only patches to RU1 available here: support.symantec.com/en_US/article.INFO5360.html

2. Bushwalker8

Bushwalker8 MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2015
    Symantecs long standing File Connect product serial number based download portal has been shut down in lieu of new "Account Based Entitlement" linked to a MySymantec account.

3. jcvo

jcvo MDL Junior Member

Aug 30, 2011
    new update Symantec Endpoint Protection 14.2.3335.1000

4. Sajjo

Sajjo MDL Member

Feb 6, 2018
  5. LostED

LostED SVF Patch Lover

Jul 30, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. sorgthomas

sorgthomas MDL Novice

Feb 3, 2014
    Hello,
    What about cleanwipe?

7. LostED

LostED SVF Patch Lover

Jul 30, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. annieannie

annieannie MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2009
    Technically I love this software, very light and fast and effective.

Only one thing I don't like is that when I try to run some KMS or patch file, it jumps out and deletes the file. Even when I select "Disable SEP" at tray icon, it still jumps out when I try to run a patch.
    "Hey, you are supposed to be disabled."

Once I just couldn't run a kms file for office 2010 (I know it's old but I like that GUI better) under SEP and I had to unstall it, ran kms to activate office 2010 and install SEP again. Very annoying, I tried Mcafee endpoint security in a laptop. That one is fine, when I disable it, it IS disabled. No annoying pop up.

Any ideas?

9. darkrats

darkrats MDL Junior Member

Dec 16, 2012
    How to Disable SYMANTEC EndPoint Protection

Right-click on the SEP icon in the task tray and select "Disable Symantec Endpoint Protection"
    Open RUN and type "smc -stop"

To enable SEP

Open RUN and type "smc -start"
    Right-click on the SEP icon in the task tray and select "Enable Symantec Endpoint Protection"

10. annieannie

annieannie MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2009
    Ah, let me try this one. I only did the disabling on the tray but didn't run the second step.
    thank you very much for the help.

11. SupremoPhantom

SupremoPhantom MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2010
    where are the full installation files for the latest release

12. Erik B

Erik B MDL Member

Oct 10, 2008
    #573 Erik B, May 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Seems to me that installation of Symantec Endpoint Protection is only possible on clean Windows installs. Every time I upgraded Windows 10 I've been forced to uninstall SEP first and after the upgrade, I've been unable to reinstall SEP. No matter what really and the same issue on all my machines. I just upgraded to 1903 which is my second upgrade on this Windows install. SEP install complains with "Installation interrupted ...". I've lived with the resource hog Windows defender long enough now, developed a habit of disabling the real-time protection which of course is bound to get nasty. I think I'm going to wipe my Windows to a clean install and see if the SEP install is happier there.

edit:
    Indeed, Symantec Endpoint Protection 14.2.3335.1000 installs just fine on my new clean W10 1903

13. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    Not trying to TC, but SEP is really a piece of s**t in terms of real world protection capacity, not to mention it's heavy on resources as well.

14. Erik B

Erik B MDL Member

Oct 10, 2008
    LOL, I'm by no means an expert or tried many antivirus progs, but I used SEP for years and I'm happy with the performance. It has some annoying habits as disable all my pirated games, in more of an anti-piracy policy sense than the cracks being actual threats. It sometimes interferes with image writing, for example, making a Windows bootable USB with Rufus etc etc. But - Windows defender makes, for example, editing in Visual Studio a true pain, checking the same thousands of text files over and over again. I lived with the crap for over a year and now I'm so pleased to have SEP there instead ❤️

15. ashish.k

ashish.k MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2014
    I've also used SEP for quite a while, one thing I've not managed to figure out ia how to upgrade to a newer version of SEP?
    Should I just download the latest setup and install over the current?

16. athanato

athanato MDL Member

Aug 30, 2009
    It is overly aggressive but you can tell it to exclude a folder for your KMS files.

17. athanato

athanato MDL Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Yes, just run the installer and it will update... it will just say installing.

18. polaris44

polaris44 MDL Novice

Jan 29, 2010
    Can you set the program to exclude certain files rather than folder?

19. athanato

athanato MDL Member

Aug 30, 2009
    yes, same way you do with folders.