tips for fixing a virus infected pc

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by test004, Apr 10, 2013.

1. test004

test004 MDL Member

Oct 21, 2009
    for example if there is an unbootable pc (even in safe mode) what are the first things you doing? and of course the last is to format
    i guess rescue disks provided by several antivirus companies or something else
    I would like to read your tips just for educational purposes

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    There some Rescue CD for Windows 7 available which doing a quite good job.

Also using the original ISO/DVD to start a Repair, would may work.

There so many possible methods available that it would fill a book! And as your questions seem to be just rethoric it's really difficult to give an specific answer, if not impossible.

And just to note: Rescue disk's from AV manus, are in most case just useless!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    #3 tnx, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
    If I am asked to look at a laptop or PC which is not working but they want all the important files saving the first thing I would do would be to take out the HDD and slip in a different one and load a new OS.
    This would determine if the machine works properly or as other issues. if all was well I would then get the files off the original HDD by connecting to my PC via e-SATA depending of course if it is indeed working OK.
    Once the files are saved I would then gather all the drivers for the machine and run it for a few hours and then once I knew all was well I would then install a new OS onto the original drive and get it running once again.
    With the files burnt to disc I would return the machine..

This approach works for me.

In my opinion there is only one way to get rid of any virus... New install....each and every time...

4. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    After installation, updating, and installing all desired software packages, I make a system image and store it in an easily accessible safe place. I've used the built-in versions in Windows 7 and Vista and Acronis to make images. Obviously, not everybody makes an image, but I feel everybody should. Just like everybody should backup, backup, backup.

If anti malware tools will not clean up the system after a reasonable period of effort, I restore the image I know is clean. After that, just update what needs it.

5. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    #5 tnx, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
    I have heard many folk making images and I can see why some would. I don't like to but you are 100% right on

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP !!!!!

You did forget one thing though...

BACKUP

Folk just don't do it then get mad cause drives fail and files are lost. I think they must think the PC is some sort of ever lasting magic machine.

Great point you made..:biggrin:

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    As the importance of Backup's is know since (Computer-)Ages, also so many talking about it's need, it's unbelievable to see how many computer users didn't do that! In reality, most of the time is pure lazyness NOT to do it.

tnx, what do think how many user, who reading your post with big red BACKUP word, will tell or think: YES, we should do that now(!) and will have forget it 30min later?! I think you would be surprised (or not!)!

Imaging of an HDD is also an good way, if you not have many changes in your installation, means add or delete many apps. It's not very sufficient if you have a lot changes because you'll have to do the imaging every few days or at least once a week. That could get boring and need quite some time.

I use 80GB Tapes for Data Backups and it runs fully automatic: every 1 hour backup new and changed data and once a month a full data backup to 50GB BD-Disk, beside of Raid 1! All License infos of our installed software is backup to an on-line Web Apps which I has build some time ago, so I've them available at any time and place I need them. By thy way, the backup apps we use is Symantec Backup Exec and that works just great.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    I backup all my important files on a monthly basis. I burn to disc though. Then I put them away nice and safe all labelled up so I know what's on them.
    A good few years back I had a storage drive fail on me and I lost a huge amount of pictures, documents and downloaded files. I remember it well and I do refer to it as Black Friday..
    If, nay when it happens again I wont loose too much. I think it has to happen to yourself before you realise the importance of backing up and not relying on drives lasting for ever. they just don't.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    No, I haven't learn that on the bad way! The time I was starting to work with computer in the end of the 60th, the only way for to keep data were to back them up. We were using 2 way's on beginning: printed and punched on cards. As I started to work in Hongkong in 1971 we still were using Punching Cards. That Changed in the End of 1972 as we were getting an IBM "Winchester" drive with an capacity of 5MB which were replaced in 1973 with the final product, the IBM 3340 "Winchester" Drive with 35MB capacity. At the time we also started to do the data backups on Tapes.

At that time the backup of data were just our "Life"! So I never had forgotten that and try to give that knowledge to my staff which unfortunately get more difficult as the technology changes.

9. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Nawww .... just start the imaging process when you go to bed or take a nap or go to the market or even when you have a date with your girl/boy friend. It'll run while your away and be done when you get back.