Tips to reduce disk space usage significantly!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Matrix Leader, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Matrix Leader

Matrix Leader MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2009
    #1 Matrix Leader, Aug 28, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
    I have been using these tips for almost 3 years now and have never encountered a problem.

Perform these tricks below, then run a BOOT defrag using PerfectDisk, then remove any unwanted programs from startup and watch your diskpace go down by at least 1.5 GB and your boot up time should improve :worthy:

1) Restart your computer just to make sure any file we are deleting from temp directories is not in use or will be used once after a reboot.

2) Navigate to C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp

Then delete all the files and folders in there.

3) Navigate to C:\ then delete the folder named MSOCACHE.

If you cannot see this folder, then make sure you have HIDDEN FILES enabled.

This folder is the temp directory for the MS Office installation files, if you have selected to RUN ALL FROM MY computer option next to all the components of MS Office that you installed, then you already have everything installed in the Program Files and will never need this folder....EVER

4) Navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

Delete everything in that folder.

It is a 100% safe to delete everything in there as this is just the TEMP folder for Windows to download updates.

After you have installed the updates and restarted, you obviously don't want those huge *.cab, *.msi, and *.exe setup files eating up your diskspace.

5) Navigate to C:\Windows\Temp

6) If you dont use System Restore, turn it off and delete all existing restore points.

7)) If you dont use hibernation, disable it. Just type "powercfg -h off" at the command prompt. That'll disable hibernation and delete the large hibernation file hiberfil.sys.
    Delete everything in that folder as it only contains temporary files that are not critical nor required.

I made a batch file that will do all of the steps in this guide automatically for ya :D

No need to go to each folder individually anymore.

Feel free to edit what you want or add an extra drive like you will notice in the command I mjade for the delete recycly bin files...you may need to edit or add another drive....

http://www.4shared.com/file/XNaEGpSY/Delete_Temp.html

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. kdo2milger

kdo2milger MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2010
    cool i just got back a little over a gig of space :)

3. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    Glad you liked it :) That's the way I run all my 4 PCs :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    Yeah, but what advantage you really get out of this? Eventually all these folders will fill up again... or is just to keep yourself busy?
    just run a tool like CCleaner once in a while, much easier & faster, less accidental mistakes

5. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    MSOCASHE and SoftwareDistrubtion\Download doesn't fill up

well unless you install more Windows update but the size will be so much smaller for the Windows Update

MSOCACHE will never show up again, that's a good amount of space gone eternally

CCleaner never touches those folders

I use it for other stuff ;)

6. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    #6 FreeStyler, Aug 28, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
    I would always leave MSOCACHE, Office reinstall/reconfiguration goes much easier and faster with (otherwise you would need to load Cd or ISO)
    SoftwareDistrubtion\Download are Windows Updates, so yes these eventually will fill up again

BTW, with a price of about $0,10 per GB for HDD's these day who is still watching disk usage?

7. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Windows 7 Manager does clean up the first folder. I just checked before and after.
    Did not check for others.

8. ffcloud2000

ffcloud2000 MDL Member

Oct 23, 2009
    #8 ffcloud2000, Aug 28, 2010
    You can actually add custom folders to ccleaner so whenever you run it.. it cleans those folders

9. blackranger

blackranger MDL Senior Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Actually Ashampoo WinOptimizer can help cleaning the temp files.

10. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    Guys this is not a guide to list what software will delete temp files. Surely there are many applications that will delete temp files; however, some of the files / folders in this tutorial have to be manually deleted.

Just take the good things for example the Download folder, the MSOCACHE, these 2 folders are a must delete....gives you a free extra gig.

I dont care how much is memory these days, if the memory is sitting there wasted, why not revive it?

11. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    #11 FreeStyler, Aug 28, 2010
    Memory... wtf are you talking about?
    And like ffcloud2000 mentioned you could easily configure CCleaner to delete, empty custom folders automatically

FYI: MSOCACHE, should NOT be deleted, that is... unless you have original Office installation media!

...all that hassle to revive 1GB? What is 1GB these days?

12. blackranger

Dec 28, 2009
    #12 blackranger, Aug 28, 2010
    Can further explain what "wtf" actually means? :Djokes:D

yes, 1 GB is so so important to those who have only 100GB or less in their HDD, it's >1% of their life :p, but for you and me probably it's 1/466 or 1/931 or less....

And, 1GB is about 63 cents in Hong Kong (my 500GB Hitachi is $292)

13. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    What? for a Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000, 2TB here (Europe) you would pay about € 110/120,-

14. blackranger

Dec 28, 2009
    #14 blackranger, Aug 28, 2010
    Yup but in Hong Kong, my Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 SATA-II 16MB is about $290. But if €110 for a 2TB it's really not expensive, HKD$ 74 cents for 1 GB.
    Now we've been talking about hardware not about reducing disk space dude, :biggrin:

15. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    U mentioned this in my guide but you refuse to even read properly.

I did state that......

When installing OFFICE (any version), if you click on each of the options, for example, MS Word 2010 or 2007, then select RUN ALL FROM MY COMPUTER, you will never require that folder no matter what you tell me!

You can use the application to the max with no errors, you can uninstall at any time!

I have never seen a mod jump on an old member and flame him for posting a guide! :rolleyes: heh

16. Anakunda

Anakunda MDL Senior Member

Feb 6, 2010
    I don`t think so. I did delete all MSOcache content after instralling MSO2010 pre-RTM. Next, later by updating to RTM I got continuously unspecified error on setup, after lil google researching I realized this unspecified error on setup was caused by existing Office 2010 instance, and missing old setup files on disk. So I suggest NOT to delete MSOcache unless you are sure you won't need update or add/remove components in the future, Office installer is very squeamish to any inconsistences of current installation.

17. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    I always update office just fine. Maybe I'm using some magical version of Office don't u think? I had both 2700 Enterprise Edition and now Office Professional Plus 2010 retail and both work fine.

And seriously, worried about the media? :rolleyes:

The web is filled up with genuine MS Office downloads incase any case did go wrong! heh.......

I install Office 2010.......then forget about it......I use it on a daily basis.

18. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Couple of major things one can do to reclaim disk space:

1) If you dont use System Restore, turn it off and delete all existing restore points.

2) If you dont use hibernation, disable it. Just type "powercfg -h off" at the command prompt. That'll disable hibernation and delete the large hibernation file hiberfil.sys.

19. Matrix Leader

Dec 8, 2009
    ohhhhhhhh how did I forget those?? Thanks alot!!

Ill add those tips to the guide :D

20. ar_seven_am

ar_seven_am MDL Senior Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Sorry matrix leader, I have add ur tips to my thread, so everyone here can see all the tips, tricks n tweaks in same thread n I'll updated every day if there's new one (if I'm not tired anyway, :biggrin:)