Tired of unchecking unrelated offers while installing software?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by WIKIMACK, Dec 4, 2013.

1. WIKIMACK

WIKIMACK MDL Expert

Nov 10, 2011
    #1 WIKIMACK, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  2. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
    While the concept is neat, I guess, one of the videos on the website shows the guy manually unchecking the checkboxes, and the other video didn't automatically uncheck them but popped up some kind of message box. So that pretty much did not demonstrate anything it's supposed to do.

Also if it did automatically uncheck boxes - - how would it determine which boxes are extra install offers and not important settings for the program being installed?

Nice concept but it seems like it's an extra piece of software that doesn't need to be installed... just pay attention to your installations. IMHO.

3. RaMMicHaeL

RaMMicHaeL MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2009
    It's great to see a topic about Unchecky here. Thanks for writing about it WIKIMACK!

jellybelly, I'd like to address some of your concerns.

I guess you're referring to the French video.
    He's manually unchecking the checkboxes after turning off Unchecky, to demonstrate what the installation looks like without it.

First, the checkboxes were automatically unchecked.
    The message box shows up when you click on an unchecked check box, to warn you before accepting an offer.
    Here's the relevant video portion:
    youtu.be/VpPL2O5UU3Q?t=2m13s

One thing is clear for me: I need to have a simple demonstration video in English, to avoid similar misunderstandings.

A black list, and sometimes per-installer rules.

At the end of the day it's your call, but even for a power user, it's quite pleasant to see that all offers are being automatically unchecked.
    One of the users left a comment similar to: "It's even a little bit wired that I don't have to uncheck the offers anymore".

4. WIKIMACK

WIKIMACK MDL Expert

Nov 10, 2011
    You test it, i test:negative:

5. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    Could someone write an installer that would detect the unchecky service and then automatically suspend it? As already pointed out, I too am using the "reading with comprehension" method to install software.

6. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Yes, that's possible. Many installation utilities have the ability to detect running processes and kill them, for example if it's trying to upgrade a current version to a new version... but it's not limited to only the product's files, it can kill any process.

Unchecky would have to be popular enough, though, for anyone wanting to bypass it to know about it in the first place to write the functions to kill it.

7. RaMMicHaeL

RaMMicHaeL MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2009
    I've made a simple video which demonstrates Unchecky with various installers:
    youtube.com/watch?v=dzb_SHxt-o8

Installers are running as administrator, so they can do anything. The advantage Unchecky has is that it updates automatically, so even if some installer will implement suspending Unchecky, I'll be able to quickly push an update.

8. WIKIMACK

WIKIMACK MDL Expert

Nov 10, 2011
    #8 WIKIMACK, May 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
  9. my2cents

my2cents Guest

This seems like a very nice tool for anyone installing and uninstalling software on a frequent basis; however, I do not have such a need so I would be more inclined to just "read carefully" whenever I do a new install. However, for those that perceive a need for such a tool, I would be interested in knowing the "resources impact" of having this program running at startup and only being used on an infrequent basis.

10. my2cents

my2cents Guest

Hi WIKIMACK,

Looks good! No evidence of background resource hogging from what I can see.

Thanks,

my2cents

11. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    Seems to be interesting, I'll give it a try. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    Either this or another software like it will go into my collection. Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. WIKIMACK

WIKIMACK MDL Expert

Nov 10, 2011
    hi,

Although like many of us, I am cautious on internet, it simply makes many services.

wiki.:rolleyes:

14. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    interesting program,

but,

if one is really worried about useless programs being installed then they wouldn't install this one either...

just my $.02

15. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    I can see a slight market in this program because of all the friends who have you work on their machines every year because they don't know to disable installing all the toolbars etc, in installers. It would remain to be seen if this kind of software could make a dent, but I would certainly install it on mine to test it and others to try it.

16. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    I have installed it and so far no issues.

17. ALIA5

ALIA5 MDL Novice

May 17, 2012
    here's a million dollar solution, don't support or use software that forces unwanted programs. simple enough

18. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
    #20 TONSCHUH, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014