To Upgrade or to not Upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by adric, Aug 4, 2017.

1. adric

adric MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2009
    I understand that [ Windows 10 Creators Update Privacy Settings (KB4013214) ] is a pre-req to get the Creator's Update (1703) offer from WU and I'm wondering whether to hide it and wait for the Fall CU. I previously did a clean install on an HP Compaq nc6320 with 1607 + July Updates and I'm not sure if it's worth upgrading to 1703 now.. Actually, starting with 1607, I would have to upgrade every 6 month's to stay with the flow. I also understand that if you don't do the upgrades, the version you are on will be EOL after 18 months. I know about LTSB, but this laptop only has a digital license for W10 Pro and will be used by family.

I assume clean installs are usually the best method to avoid problems, but that would require me to customize again each time a new upgrade is clean installed. Also, I'm not sure how well these upgrades work installing on-top via WU. I could just skip them all and wait 18 month's before doing the latest upgrade to get another 18 months. The laptop is old, but fine for everyday use and very good quality. I'm open to suggestions. ..

2. redxii

redxii MDL Junior Member

Aug 7, 2016
    #2 redxii, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    Are the customizations for Windows or do you have a lot of programs that need to be installed and reconfigured? I run lean (and almost nothing 3rd-party running in the background) and use portable versions when possible.

I use an unattended setup to change default Windows settings and edit the default user account (anywhere from privacy settings, or my Task Manager view, accent color; if it can be configured in the registry, it's in there), install some things like Visual C++ redist, and other tweaks. I just have to install drivers and whatever few programs. You can also just create a .reg file and find where the settings are stored in the registry and just import it manually after Windows is installed.

If you like I could upload my .reg file for user settings, it is mostly commented so it is easy to tell what the settings are.

3. adric

adric MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2009
    #3 adric, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    (OP)
    Thanks, I understand what you are saying and do pretty much the same on my personal multi-boot systems. I'm interested to know what others have experienced with on-top upgrades. I always do clean installs on my own systems, but don't want to spend a lot of time on this particular one since it's finished now and based on 1607. I just want to keep it updated. Anyone, what's the verdict on KB4013214 and is this another nag operation to get you on 1703?