Too much RAM usage.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by thenicuo, Jul 21, 2013.

1. thenicuo

thenicuo MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2013
    So I´ve recently bought lenovo ideapad y510p (notebook) and when i am doing nothing or just browsing internet it´s RAM usage is somewhere between 25% which is 4 gb. I think it´s too much for only google chrome, skype, antivirus and OS. When I go to task manager it is saying that I use 500 mb of memory. So where is those 3-4 gb used ? Please help :)

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    anybody else out there believing that a PC can run with no usage of ram at all by doing a lot of jobs at a time?

3. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    I am around 50% of my 6GB of RAM with the disk paging disabled only with the Win8 SL x64 + MCAFEE and Chrome.... :eek::eek::eek:

Anyway up to 1GB is not really bad for these new Microsoft operating systems.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. thenicuo

thenicuo MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2013
    Sorry but i think that 4 gb is a little too much. Before I had PC w/ 2 gb RAM and it was not taking up all the space even if it was so small. I just want to know if I can somehow reduce it.

5. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    What browser you´re using?. If enough RAM is available it will be partially used by features like superfetch (mentioned already by eydee :D). Not all the RAM in use will be visible in Taskmanager.
    So as long it is not disturbing, when playing games or other highload-situations, i wouldnt bother with this, as 25 percent arent that much.

And yeah, i know Windows can run on even 2 GB RAM, as long as you don´t insist in running VMs here or opening 500 MB Photoshop files :D.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. mohamedkamel

mohamedkamel MDL Addicted

Jul 5, 2011
    I run Windows 7 Enterprise x64 with 8 GB of RAM. I have about 2 GB or less used as I don't tend to open many application at the same time. I think 2 GB is reasonable, but I see 4 GB is a bit high, but note if you use VMWare or the like it uses an actual amount of your RAM capacity.

7. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    25% to 30% is reasonable.. several other ms process runs in the background..

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  9. MeMy&Myself

MeMy&Myself MDL Junior Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Do yourself a favor, stop opening the task manager and forget that RAM exists. Your OS is not Windows XP and ur ideapad is not beign slow because the 100% of your RAM is not free.

10. mohamedkamel

mohamedkamel MDL Addicted

Jul 5, 2011
    Yes, I recommend that too :) Just in order to live and feel happy with your PC :tv_happy: Or Look to it from another prospect, if your system is suffering doing the tasks, then you should worry. Other than that is OK to disregard :)

11. jul12

jul12 MDL Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Memory usage is bug and it is problem. Opening Event Viewer is slow process and software memory usage too. :excl:

Why Windows XP had no Tasks but versions after Windows XP has lots of Tasks? This is other problem in memory usage things.

12. eydee

eydee Guest

So remove the memory from your computer and sell it. There will be no more memory usage (which is a bug) and you'll have extra money. Everything will be better.

13. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    As much as that made me laugh (thanks for that),I have to disagree - if jul12 has such a serious problem with excess RAM usage,he can always just revert to an earlier version of Windows like 95/98 that apparently don't suffer from that bug,as they can make do with 16-24MB of RAM ;). But seriously, it's been pointed out again and again that memory usage is different in Vista/7/8 and that just looking at the RAM 'used' is highly misleading...

14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If you think it's an bug, use an 3.party Memory Manager for to overcome that problem, if possible!:D

15. yahyoh

yahyoh MDL Member

Dec 6, 2012
    25% used with many apps running is very good IMHO :D

just stop monitoring the RAM :glare: u won't get slowness till the used ram goes higher than ~92% ;)

16. Cal-123

Cal-123 MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2011
    We have more and more ram to use these days, so use it. You certainly can't save it up for tomorrow! :p

17. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011