[Tool] Backup & Restore Digital License Activation in Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Chrystopher, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Chrystopher

Chrystopher MDL Member

Oct 23, 2013
    #1 Chrystopher, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Engineer2k2

Engineer2k2 MDL Member

Jun 21, 2012
    #2 Engineer2k2, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    I was just expecting such a tool. ;)

I think the name should be Digital License Restore/Re-Activation Utility - because it is not an activation tool but will restore the activation of any previously activated Windows 10.

3. Chrystopher

Chrystopher MDL Member

Oct 23, 2013
    Yes, you're right :biggrin:
    Will change it on the next version after I figured out how to backup the product key and automatically installed it so it may activate and fixing the bug that cause the batch file unable to copy files & export registry strings to the working directory :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    What’s the advantage of this tool over creating a system image of Win 10?
    CP > System and Security/Backup and Restore > Create a system image

Such an image can be used to restore your computer.

5. Chrystopher

Chrystopher MDL Member

Oct 23, 2013
    This tool only backup the files and registry strings needed for a re-activation of the Windows 10 Digital License which I think it will help other users who wants to restore the activation without having to restore the entire system which will take some times. :D

6. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Afaik (on w10) backup/restore that single file is enough to keep the activation

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\ClipSVC\token.dat

7. Chrystopher

Chrystopher MDL Member

Oct 23, 2013
    Just tested it out, it really work with just back up the token.dat in ClipSVC folder. But I supposed, the PCs activated using the free upgrade by Microsoft, still require the special registry strings and inserting the product key to be activated. I will update the batch file soon. Thank you, sir :)

8. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

I'm not sure what's the purpose of the old SPP service and related folder. Very likely is still there because the backward compatibility (say office and other older MS products), but for w10 itself the old role of SPP seem completely replaced by ClipSVC

P.S.Don't forget to stop the clipservice (if running) before replacing the file

9. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
  10. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Sure, but an offline PC has nothing to do with them, also not all the W10 PCs are digitally entitled, that's just a consumer thing.

11. Chrystopher

Chrystopher MDL Member

Oct 23, 2013
    Updated, please re-download.

Changelog :
    - Fixed the bug that prevent the backup file to be created at working folder by switching the xcopy to copy
    - About the product key, I still include the one that I mention before. If it wasn't a generic key, please let me know, so I may delete it from the batch.
    If someone have a different key installed when upgrading to Windows 10, just edit the batch file at line 84 with your own product key

:)

12. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

I think the key info is stored together with the other infos in .dat files. If you replace/restore them you replace/restore the key as well

13. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    That's the default Retail key for Pro. What if your Home? What if you've got OEM-DM key for 8/8.1? Aren't you still activated with Digital Entitlement??

14. Chrystopher

Chrystopher MDL Member

Oct 23, 2013
    #14 Chrystopher, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    (OP)
    I will try to clean install my laptop and test it without inserting the key, just the tokens.dat to check if it's activated or not.

I've always use Pro on my laptop, so I don't know about Home product key, but if some users upgrade to Home, they can change the Product Key at line 84 at the restoring part. And because I don't know much about programming, I don't know the code to backup the corresponding key, that's why I inserted the Pro key directly to the batch.

And about the OEM-DM key for Windows 8/8.1, I suppose it's a digital license if upgraded using the Genuine Ticket or upgraded using Windows 10 installation media. This tool should be able to backup the activation data as well, but because I don't have a OEM-DM key on my bios, I can't test it.

------EDIT------

Just test Mr. T-S advice and it really worked without inserting any product key. The product key problem solved. Thank you very much Mr. T-S for the advice.

Updated - 24 August 2016 [TESTED]

Changelog :
    - Fixed the special registry strings problem
    - Removed the product key line since the backup tokens.dat contain the needed product key
    - Added the option to restart for the changes to take effect.

Please re-download from the first page.
    :)

15. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    So we only really talk MAC activation (as KMS does not matter, it will re-activate on next contact - even without internet, and local KMS emulator matters even less!)

Any consumer activation (upgrade, retail key) is on MS servers

Surely nobody has offline only PC these days? (unless it is government secret project, but surely they would not be using software that backups/restore activation on it?)

16. shtrumf

shtrumf MDL Junior Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Why are you sure there no more offline computers(home users especially).I've been in that situation,when you need to reinstall and don't have an internet connection or don't own a smartphone to use it as a modem or hotspot.This tool is more than welcomed.

17. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I totally agree with Sebus. You don't even need to do a clean install really, just PC Reset. Activation remains even if you tell it to remove all your data...

18. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Of course the tool can be used. But especially home users will always have internet connection. If they do not, then believe me, they would be no clued enough to use such tool. In fact I never seen home user being able to even re-install OS even if I gave them picture step by step...

19. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Interesting... so that's all it was, that one protected registry key?
    and the tokens obviously...

20. Chrystopher

Chrystopher MDL Member

Oct 23, 2013
    Yes :biggrin:

I tried once with just the tokens and it won't activate without the registry key. Maybe there's some sort of activation data in the registry key. When I tried to delete the key, the "Settings" won't open and I can't right click on the taskbar, but when I restart Windows, everything's turn back to normal. I was wondering what kind of registry string is it? :g: