[TOOL] XP2ESD - Create modern Windows XP installer v1.6.2

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by George King, Jan 8, 2021.

1. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    I think all is mentioned in first post. Its not about integrating hotfixes. First at all you can use in all 24 languages. If its not clear in first post let me know

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Shortyportuguese

Shortyportuguese MDL Senior Member

Apr 3, 2019
    Hello @George King Do you have some plans to do the similar job on XP 64bits?

Your work got quite interesting, and I just thought that the 64 bits version could be applicable for machines with 8+ GB Ram...
    What about the support of new browsers (like Firefox ESR)? And maybe SEP12 (Reduced size install with the latest Live update engine) could be an option as AV... (https:// knowledge.broadcom.com/external/article/163625/windows-compatibility-with-the-endpoint.html)
    I can confirm that SEP12 receives the latest definitions when have the latest LUSETUP.EXE (from 14.3 - 2020 April 30)...
    What do you have in mind?
    I will be glad to hear from you. :)

3. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    You can use setup folder for all needed installers. I don't have plans to support x64 too, there are only 5 languages and I don't have source code for tools that are used to achieve it. Much better to stick with 32bit systems. But I'm working on Server 2003 UpdatePacks rebuilding. Enterprise edition can be converted into workstation and support 64GB so this is solution. And I still need to investigate more into daniel_k PAE patch, so maybe it can be done on the fly during setup for Windows XP. Bad is I'm really bussy with real life right now..

Can you point SEp multilangage installer with working updates? This seems really interesting.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. WindowsMyStyle

WindowsMyStyle MDL Member

May 2, 2018
    but it is not true that the administrator account is hidden ...
    at every restart with Windows XP Home asks me if I want to enter as Administrator or Account name chosen

Still not a problem (for me) since Auto-Syprep I don't use it.
    For now the only problem I encountered is the installation of the Drivers ... SDI is unstable ... in some cases it crashes ...
    On restart I use "Launch.cmd" to resume the installation ...
    You could link to the main root ...

Another idea you could do ... is it possible to create a multilanguage boot?
    delete the "Autounattend.xml" file to select the desired language ... and be able to insert multiple languages in the "install.wim" file without the "license" error

5. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    1) Try to use XP2ESD v1.4 when everything is done automatically, then tell me if there is a same problem. After you find it works great, then try t search where is problem in your manual process
    2) If SDI crashes in some cases, please roport it to SDI devs, hopefully they can fix it
    3) What's problem with Launch.cmd? Can you explain it more?
    4) I will never build ths insane AIO, I don't like it. But You can build it manually - integrate all languagepacks into boot.wim (both 7 and 10 are needed). Create huge install.wim and it should works. I don't think you will encounter "License error" anymore, as CaptureVHD and AutoSysprep add it correctly from v1.4. Thats also why is enabled License page during setup in WinPE from v1.4

And my recomendation for you. First try to use this tool as is, then try to modify it. And report bugs that are related to unmodified XP2ESD to help improve it for everyone.

6. WindowsMyStyle

May 2, 2018
    for Windows XP Home my mistake, I forgot to change Professional to Home on config.ini

today or tomorrow i try to see if multilanguage boot works ...
    my project is much bigger ...
    I would like to create a single iso with all versions of Windows XP (Home, HomeN, Professional, ProfessionalN, MCE, Tablet) in all languages with all the updates until 2019

7. example12345678912345678

example12345678912345678 MDL Senior Member

Dec 29, 2019
    I think there're 2 missing features here.
    1. I'm planning to make AIO with 7 SKUs. Then with 10 SKUs. But there's support up to 6 SKUs. You should increase the support. (For example: adding support for Windows Server 2003.) Normally it should be unlimited, but this may be impossible. So I think 10 SKUs will be enough for me.
    2. Support for 64-Bit. It shouldn't be limited by only 32-bit. If it's not impossible you should add x64. IA-64 support will be optional. Then, we should be able to mix x86 and x64. There're many ISO's with x86 and x64 SKUs.
    Also, keep up the great work.

8. trashe33

trashe33 MDL Member

May 8, 2016
    the problem about 64 bit is that xp2esd uses a tool (myfactory) that is only made for ia-32 and not ia-64 or amd64

9. WindowsMyStyle

May 2, 2018
    1) it is not possible to create this runonce during sysprep and not via the $ oem $ folder avoiding rebooting the operating system twice? several times the system crashes on the second reboot and I have to reset to finish the installation.

Code:
    REG ADD %ROE%\012 /ve /d %RBTTEXT% /f
    REM Enter OOBE
    if exist %WinDir%\system32\OOBE.cmd REG ADD %ROE%\012 /v "OOBE" /d "%WinDir%\System32\wscript.exe //nologo %WinDir%\system32\invisible.vbs %WinDir%\system32\OOBE.cmd" /f
    REG ADD %ROE%\012 /v "Reboot" /d "%WINDIR%\System32\shutdown.exe -r -f -t 0" /f

REM Reboot on Active Setup
    rem REG ADD "HKLM\TEMPSOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{FF0EE800-8CE9-475a-99BA-C59D509FAA0C}" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "%RBTTEXT%" /f
    rem REG ADD "HKLM\TEMPSOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{FF0EE800-8CE9-475a-99BA-C59D509FAA0C}" /v "StubPath" /t REG_SZ /d "shutdown.exe -r -f -t 0" /f
    rem REG ADD "HKLM\TEMPSOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{FF0EE800-8CE9-475a-99BA-C59D509FAA0C}" /v "Localized Name" /t REG_SZ /d "%RBTTEXT%" /f
    rem REG ADD "HKLM\TEMPSOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{FF0EE800-8CE9-475a-99BA-C59D509FAA0C}" /v "IsInstalled" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
    2) Why do you also use the SDI program instead of just using the MyFactory integration ?!
    I encountered a problem ... I installed Windows XP via USB 3.0, integrated the Drivers both on the boot.wim and on Windows XP
    The problem is that after installation ... the PenDrive is not detected because the USB drivers on Windows XP are installed later with SDI
    I recommend integrating with SysPrep in addition to MassStorage also Chipset and USB ... in this way it will work perfectly.

for the rest in general everything perfect!

10. WindowsMyStyle

May 2, 2018
    there are 10 SKUs (Home HomeN HomeK HomeKN Professional ProfessionalN ProfessionalK ProfessionalKN TabletPC MediaCenter)
    however you can add others by editing the script
    in this project it was using MyFactory modified by a Russian ... and then adapted
    to use x64 versions you should create a modified MyFactory based on the x64 version and then readjust it ...

11. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    #191 George King, Feb 22, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    (OP)
    After first boot is system prepared with correct HALs and original NTLDR is restored, reboot. Second boot, install all drivers using SDI, reboot to be sure all installed services installed by drivers running correctly. Install all applications silently and reboot to be sure all services installed by applications are running too. After this reboot PC enter OOBE. I’m sure this setup design is save for every type of setup.

Drivers was not installed? Are you sure you used option to copy driverpacks to HDD? Thats why is here this option. And also why is needed additional reboot to install applications from USB.

Only MassStorage are needed to be inside image, everything can be safely done on the fly by SDI.

Btw, what crash you encountered during setup? It can be caused only by bad driver, or not?

And why SDI? It can be used with 2000 and newer systems. And It cover my future plans with one DriverPacks and one install.esd. I would like to have perfect multiboot AIO XP + 7 + 10. More detailed info should be published when I finish my Windows 6.1 kithech for perfect Windows 7 client AIO 36v1. And also 23 of 24 languages are supported by SDI

12. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    #192 George King, Feb 22, 2021
    (OP)
    Yes, I would like to read provided ISOs dynamically. But there are some problems with same image naming for ESD compression. Will need to develop a space at the end glitch.
    Server 2003 support should be in next release as I'm working on rebuilding OnePiece Server 2003 UpdatePacks in all 18 languages. But a lot of test is needed to finish it. I would also add Enterprise to XP conversion to get client 2003 with 64GB RAM support.

13. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    I don't think it can work with x64 too. Russian MyFactory is builded for x86 systems only. On original Russian topic, someone requested it too. But devs never did it. So x64 support is not planned. This project will be in 32bit only, but future additions can cover system with 4GB+ RAM too

14. WindowsMyStyle

May 2, 2018
    #194 WindowsMyStyle, Feb 22, 2021
    That's the problem ...
    Drivers are installed in the HDD but SDI does not start
    I tried the same thing by moving the PenDrive to USB 2.0 and SDI part without problems by installing all the Drivers from the HDD
    obviously there is some wrong command line that does not start SDI from the HDD if it does not see the PenDrive ...
    that's why I also integrated USB in the Drivers installation from MyFactory ... in this way it works perfectly ...
    You should try to do a real PC Test with USB 3.0

15. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    Can you confirm option in config.ini DriverPacksType is same as in settings.ini?
    Code:
    DriverPacksType=HDD
    This means, all driverpacks are copied to HDD to avoid problems with missing USB drivers. I developed this option after I tried to install it from USB 3.0. So before first reboot are driverpacks on HDD and SDI can safely use them as it's lauched from systemdrive.

16. WindowsMyStyle

May 2, 2018
    of course!
    at the first reboot I went to see if the Drivers are copied to the HDD and there are with SDI but after the installation it does not start SDI

17. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    What about language.txt? Is this file generated correctly? SDI maybe start, but it's launched with -autoclose parameter, so you will never see it.

18. WindowsMyStyle

May 2, 2018
    language.txt it is correctly placed inside the folder with SDI
    but if there was any problem it wouldn't work under any circumstances
    instead on the USB 2.0 port it works perfectly
    if I integrate the USB 3.0 Drivers in MyFactory it works perfectly
    doesn't go looking for SDI after analyzing the MassStorage Drivers ... skip and delete everything ...
    the basic problem seems to not find the PenDrive in the USB 3.0 ... even if in theory it shouldn't matter since the Drivers are in the HDD

19. asdddsa101

asdddsa101 MDL Member

Feb 11, 2021
    Hello, with your tools, I have successfully built the ISO file. And in the first stage, expanding the ESD file to the hard disk is also successful. But the system cannot be started after restart, and the screen shows: Windows could not start beacuse the following file is missing or corrupt : <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Please re-install a copy of the above file.
    How to solve this problem?

I use the xp cd, copy the original ntoskrnl.exe to system32 folder. But also cannot solve the problem.

20. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    There should be two problems.

1) Be sure to install in on first partition on HDD - this is limitation and cannot be changed
    2) Boot into installer again and see if there is "System reserved" partition. If yes, delete it and exit. Now it should boot

I have created dynamic deletion of partition wth size in MBs on target disk in upcoming v1.5, but a lot of other things need to be finished before release

EDIT: Do not use original disk for adding ntoskrnl, Its useless in v1.4 as Longhorn NLTDR use ntkrnlst. From v1.5 is this method also improved to get correct files like original XP and many more changes and fixes are done