[TOOL] XP2ESD - Create modern Windows XP installer v1.6.2

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by George King, Jan 8, 2021.

1. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    I am wondering if this modern installer, will be able to include XP x64 as a option?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    You can store it in install.wim too without problem, but its untested. I will try to sysprep it and see if can be installed as usual

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    I can't test this but, if you are using windows 10 installer to deploy this, I suppose you will need a CPU that fully supports windows 10 (including NX bit, SSE2, etc). Windows XP can run on computers with lower specs than that.
    In my opinion, you should use vista's installer. It won't create the special boot partition by default and it's more era appropriate to deploy a XP install.wim.
    On the other hand, I'm glad you made this. I'm looking forward for updates on this tool

4. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    That seems interesting, I don't know where are these limits stored, hopefuly not in setup engine. I can perform test only on Dell Optiplex 780 or Asus K53SV (Power adapter is on the way from China..)

If it will be needed, we can achieve same with Vista PE with Windows 8.0 setup engine to get ESD support - this combination works too. Windows 8.0 is latest one that can be run under Vista PE. But I don't know if setup engine crash like 7/10 and will be usable. Will add to to-do list for future testing

If anybody can test mentioned limitations, do it please. We need to know :)

5. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    I tested it now, you can use actual method to distibute Syspreped Windows XP Professional SP2 x64 too. Just build XP2ESD from 32bit Windows 7 and Windows 10 (20H2 v2 is confirmed that works) ISO images. Then perform Sysprep and use CaptureVHD.cmd to make install.wim

6. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    #27 George King, Jan 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    (OP)
  7. WindowsMyStyle

WindowsMyStyle MDL Member

May 2, 2018
    I know this...
    windows vista was just to lighten boot up on older PCs
    what i don't understand is why it keeps giving error in hal.dll even though i used all possible configurations.
    I also read this site but the problems I could not solve ...

8. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    #29 George King, Jan 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    (OP)
    Btw, if you succefully boot into installer on old machenes we are sure limitations mentioned by @TigTex here are not stored in Windows setup engine. And thats very good information.

HAL loading and perfect sysprep is really what we need to figure out now.

9. WindowsMyStyle

May 2, 2018
    yes the boot works ... obviously on a USB 1.1 it is practically unusable ... I will try it on CD-ROM
    the only problem are the Drivers ... on Windows 7 there are no old ones with Storade IDE which has Windows XP but I think there are no problems inserting them ...
    the biggest problem now remains hal.dll, in a real PC in a whole day I could not find a solution ...
    I should try the boot.ini method but it takes a clean job ... at the first start you have to eliminate the choices at each reboot.

10. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
  11. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    #32 George King, Jan 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    (OP)
  12. infuscomus

infuscomus MDL Junior Member

Apr 25, 2020
    No issues with HAL on my threadripper system using this, I used the XP Integral Edition patch integrator (patched ACPI,AHCI,NVMe,USB3 and HAL for newer hardware) on my XP install before making the WIM Image though, maybe that has something to do with it?

13. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    #34 George King, Jan 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    (OP)
    I see there is perfect changelog for it. I'm going to prepare tutorial, how to prepare it in every language with OnePieces Update Packs as it looks like good base image for start

14. WindowsMyStyle

May 2, 2018
    also tested this version (XP Integral Edition), but it doesn't work ... always the hal.dll problem
    honestly the tests are done with a clean iso and on a PC of 10-15 years ago ... not ultra moddate version with today's PC.
    I also tried to overwrite all versions (hal.dll, kernel...) on every reboot ... but it never starts! always the same problem.
    I tried to create the boot.ini but at the first start I can't select any choice even in debug mode
    we will see in the future but today the project does not work
    I don't think I'm wrong to do the sysprep because on VM the ISO works perfectly after installation ... the problem comes in a real PC.

15. ma.prezentalok

ma.prezentalok MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2012
    #36 ma.prezentalok, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021

16. infuscomus

infuscomus MDL Junior Member

Apr 25, 2020
    @WindowsMyStyle

Can you check if your XP install.wim/install.esd has a hal.dll in windows\system32?
    if yes, check if it is still there after XP install?

17. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    I think using russian My_Sysprep aka MyFactory can make the job. I’m analyzing it now and it seems really promissing. Give me some days to perform more test. I can now perform test on real HW too.

18. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    #39 George King, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    (OP)
  19. WindowsMyStyle

May 2, 2018
    hal.dll is present both in the install.wim file and also at the end of the installation on the hard disk ... but the error comes out and I can't do anything.
    you can try to send your ISO in private so I can try it and understand if it is my problem in creating everything with sysprep or they do not work with older PCs.
    thanks